Chapter 12.5: He's Back

~from (y/n)'s POV~
You swept past Levi and Hanji and curled up on the couch, wrapping your blanket around you.
Levi shut the door and stood next to you, glaring at you through the thin shield of a blanket. "Want to explain what that was all about?"
You shook your head. "No, not really."
Levi was about to snap at you when Hanji put her hand on his shoulder. "Drop it, Levi. Okay?"
He looked between her and you before muttering something and retreating into his room.
Hanji sat down on the couch beside you. "Are you sure that we can't tell him?"
You nodded. "Nobody can know. You weren't supposed to know, Hanji. You owe me this much."
Hanji hesitated before nodding. "I get it. But...shouldn't Levi know why you're living with him?"
You turned away so you were facing into the couch. "He doesn't care. I don't mind, though. I don't want him to treat me differently just because of my circumstances. If he hates me, then he's entitled to it. I..." You hesitated, (e/c) eyes tearing up a little bit. "I haven't been here for him, I know. I heard that Mom had died, but I only heard about it by accident, months after the funeral was held, when I overheard my dad and...that woman...talking."
Hanji's eyes widened. "Levi...he didn't talk about it much...but he always thought that you just didn't care."
You looked up at Hanji with tears brimming in your (e/c) eyes. "You think that I wouldn't care that my mom died, that I wasn't around, that I didn't even know until it was too late, that I wasn't even allowed to go to the funeral? How much of a monster do you think I am?"
"That's not it at all!" Hanji cried out, hugging you. "Don't worry, (y/n). Your secret is safe with me."

~from Levi's POV~
I had started to go into my room, but I hung back to hear what (y/n) and Hanji were talking about. Maybe they'd talk about that guy...Himuro, or whatever. He pissed me off...
Upon eavesdropping, though, Himuro slipped from my mind.
(Y/n) has a secret? I wondered. What is so bad that she wouldn't even tell me? Well, we're not close, to be honest, so I'm not really surprised...Everything about (y/n) may as well be a secret to me.
What really came as a surprise was that part about Mom...
You mean that she didn't know? That she didn't purposely abandon me?
But does that change anything at all?
Struggling to control my expression, I slipped back into my room and closed the door.

~from (y/n)'s POV~
You went to school the next day, tying your (h/l) (h/c) hair into a pony tail (if short hair, clipping it back) before following Levi out the door. During the entire walk to school, he didn't say a single word, which wasn't that unusual. By this point, you were convinced that he believed you to be the bane of his existence. Why would he waste his time talking to a freak like you?
You went separate ways once you got to school, and in your first hour class, you waved goodbye to Hanji and partnered up with Eren for a project.
For some reason, he was still a little bit awkward around you, and you around him, but it was better having an awkward friend than being a loner.

~from Eren's POV~
Ever since Halloween, I haven't been able to act normally. For good or for bad (scratch that, most likely for insanely bad), Hanji seemed to have caught on to my interest in (y/n), and she'd invited to take me over to (y/n)'s apartment to say hi, but when we got there...

~flashback~
"Shut up, freak. (Y/n) is sleeping." Levi Ackerman was standing at the door, glaring at us. Wait, Levi Ackerman?! What's he doing in (y/n)'s place? And why is he there when she's sleeping? Hanji never said that (y/n) had a boyfriend!
Crushed, I turned away...
~end flashback~

"So, (y/n)," I said, trying to force a smile. "How have you been feeling? It seems like you're out sick a lot lately."
Even though she smiled back at me, her brows were furrowed in worry. "I'm fine. Just had a little cold, is all. I'm feeling lots better now."
That was how we made conversation for the rest of the hour, polite, unengaging small talk...
We were as close as a desk apart, but we couldn't be more separated.

~from (y/n)'s POV~
Classes went smoothly for the rest of the day until your last period. You were starting to get a headache - gotta remember to tell the doctor about that - but you were determined to finish the day in school. You'd already missed a lot of days, and although you could get doctor's passes for documentation, you didn't want to have your condition listed on your school file where it could easily be discovered.
Due to some scheduling changes, Eren and Sasha were in your last class, and the three of you often grouped up for partner work. You were about to ask Sasha if she liked the blue or the green fruit snack better when the teacher cleared his throat.
"Excuse me! We have a new student today. Please introduce yourself," he said, turning to someone in the doorway who was obscured from my line of vision. Then he stepped into the light, and I gasped audibly.
"Hey! I'm Shougo Haizaki, and I'll be joining your class. If you don't mind, please take care of me!"
All around you, girls were whispering how (cute/handsome/hot) he was, while the guys thought he was cool if not intimidating.
You, on the other hand...
"No..." you whispered, your face ashen white as you pushed your seat back, eyes wide in horror. "No..."
At that moment, Haizaki turned to look at you, and his mouth curved into a knowing grin.
Before you knew it, your vision went black and you collapsed.