Chapter 7: Back to School (UGH)

~from (y/n)'s POV~
You tried to stay home the next day, but Levi dragged you out the door.
"If you miss too many days without having a better excuse than Sorry, I was just scared, you'll get held back a year, idiot."
"But you don't understand-"
"Just shut up, freak," he snapped, and you sighed, dropping your shoulders and following him, walking a few steps behind.
When you got to school, Levi immediately ditched you (you had no doubts that he had only bothered to walk near you earlier because he thought you'd be even more of an annoyance if you got lost in the city again) and went over to his friends, a few of whom sent curious glances your way, but Levi paid them no attention.
***
When you showed up for class, Hanji swallowed you in a hug.
"OH MY GOSH (Y/N)! YOU'VE BEEN GONE FOREVER!" she yelled, hugging you so tightly that you started coughing.
"Please...let me...obtain oxygen," you gasped, and she finally let you go - well, she stopped hugging you, but she still held onto your hands, as though you would bolt from the room.
"Do you know how worried I was about you?" she demanded, and Sasha appeared next to her, popping a cracker into her mouth. Sasha nodded in support.
"Sorry," you said, wincing. "I didn't realize that you guys would-"
"Freak out?" Hanji interrupted. "Because I so totally have been freaking out. Like, every day. Right, Sasha?"
Sasha nodded around a mouthful of chocolate cookie.
"I just didn't think that friends worried so much," you protested weakly.
"What, didn't you have friends before?" Hanji asked, and you froze, but she didn't notice your sudden tension. "Well, they pale in comparison to me and Sasha here. Right, Sasha?"
She nodded, licking frosting from who-knows-what off her fingers. "Definitely."
"Well...thanks," you responded, unsure how to deal with these two extremely strange people, but then Hanji began freaking out again.
"I couldn't even text you 'cause you never gave me your number! Not even an email address, (y/n)!"
You cringed, running a hand through your hair. "Sorry about that." To yourself, you asked, "Do I even have a cell phone? Wait, yeah...it should be around here somewhere..." While Hanji gaped at you, you rummaged through the various pockets of your backpack, emerging triumphant five minutes later with a small flip phone in your hand. "Here we go. What's my number?" you mumbled, searching the phone. "Oh. There it is."
Hanji stopped you at this point. "(Y/n), are you saying that you don't even use your cell phone? Like, ever?"
"Hmm?" You looked up innocently. "No. Why would I need to?"
"THIS IS WHY YOU ALWAYS GET LOST!"
***
After exchanging cell phone numbers with Hanji and Sasha, they hurried and left your room since they didn't share first hour together with you and had only come to see if you showed up. As soon as they were gone, Eren came over, waving.
"Hey, (Y/n). Are you feeling better?" he asked, and you nodded. Before you could say anything, he began backing away. "Okay. Cool. Bye."
Then he was gone.
What???
***
The day passed without incident, and on the next morning, you waited until Eren was alone before going up to him.
"Um, Eren?"
"Oh, hey, (y/n)." He looked nervous. "Did you need me for something?"
You frowned. "Are you okay?"
"Me? Okay? Yeah, I'm fine," he said, tilting his head in confusion. "Why do you ask?"
"Well...you've been kind of distant, is all. I didn't know if I did something." Your eyes widened. "Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! Sorry!"
"About what?" Eren asked.
"I don't know but I'm sure I did something!" you responded. "Sorry!! I'll be going then!" You scurried off, ignoring him calling after you.
Obviously, it's not Eren's fault. He wouldn't be cold to me like that. But what did I do??
***
You didn't go to school the next day. When Levi scowled at you, you flinched and said that you were scared of having to do gym class.
For some reason, Levi didn't question your excuse and just let it go this time...
As soon as you saw him get out the door, you pulled on a coat, grabbed your cell phone, dropping it in your pocket, and left the apartment, going the opposite way as Levi.
What you didn't know was that Hanji happened to leave her apartment just moments after you passed, and she saw you, walking alone in the opposite direction as the school.

~from Hanji's POV~
Go to school, or follow (y/n)? Go about my own business, or pry into someone else's personal life?
Without hesitating more than a few seconds, I began following (y/n).
If need be, I could justify myself in that I wanted to make sure she didn't get lost.
But truthfully, that's not why I was following her at all.