Chapter 42: Priorities

~from (y/n)'s POV~
When you opened your eyes and your senses reawakened, you first heard an incessant beeping. Then you took in the searingly bright white lights, which imprinted on your eyelids as you blinked rapidly in confusion and panic.
The beeping from the monitor sped up, and you turned your head to investigate the sound, only you saw Himuro first and momentarily forgot about your surroundings.
He was holding your hand, and he'd fallen asleep in a position that couldn't possibly be comfortable. His head lay on your bed, his face pale, and his back was bent, as though he were sheltering you.
You squeezed his hand gently, and within a mere moment, he was already stirring, blinking away the few snatches of sleep that he'd gotten. As he sat up, you had to resist the urge to laugh, as his hair was matted down on the side he'd slept on, while the other half was a bit spiky.
"(Y/n)," he said in a tired voice, but there was relief in it too. "You're finally awake."
You smiled at him. "I could say the same to you, you know."
He looked crestfallen, if not outright ashamed. "I'm so sorry, (y/n). I wanted to be awake when you woke up, but-"
"It's okay. I was just teasing you, Himuro," you said, leaning forward and giving him a kiss on the cheek.
His face colored slightly, but the self-loathing vanished form his features.
"So...what happened?" you asked, looking around the hospital room once more.
Himuro's eyes widened almost imperceptibly. "You mean you don't remember?"
You tilted your head. "I remember feeling sick. And then..." You shrugged before slumping your shoulders. "And then I woke up here."
Himuro released a long-withheld breath. "You went unconscious, and an ambulance came and brought you to the hospital." He winced as though he were leaving out a painful detail, but you didn't press him since you had other concerns.
"Did anyone else find out?" you asked softly, and he bit his lip.
"I think some students overheard that you were taken to the hospital, but they don't know much more than that. Definitely not about...you know."
You nodded in relief, but your eyes suddenly widened. "Himuro, I have to go!" you exclaimed, moving to rise out of the bed, but he gently (yet firmly) pushed you back down.
"(Y/n), you are in no state to go anywhere!"
"But-" You stopped struggling and instead looked him in the eyes. "If I miss too much school, I'll be held back a year!"
He narrowed his eyes. "(Y/n), your safety means more to me than anything else."
"Yeah, but..." You paused, looking down. "I actually made some really great friends here." There was an extra, silent part to that sentence: And it's not like I'll ever be fully "healthy."
Himuro was quiet before responding, "Tomorrow. You can go tomorrow, but for today, be a good girl and stay here. Okay?"
You nodded and tugged him into a hug. "Thanks Himuro!"
Just as you pulled back, you saw a figure in the doorway, and you paled considerably.
Himuro noticed and looked over his shoulder, his facial muscles tightening. "You."
"Levi," you greeted stiffly. "Um...if you don't mind me asking, why are you here?"
"To see you, idiot," he muttered, and Himuro glared at him.
"You shouldn't be here," Himuro said, standing up, but Levi remained where he was, leaning against the door frame.
"Well, I'm here, aren't I? It would be a shame to come all this way for nothing."
"And this is why I can't stand you," Himuro muttered, and Levi just stared at him.
"Whatever. It wasn't you I came to see, anyway." His eyes drifted over to you. "(Y/n)," he said quietly, all the anger and hatred gone from his voice.
You couldn't bring yourself to speak, so you just nodded at him, and that seemed to suffice for an invitation. He by-stepped Himuro and came closer.
Himuro looked at you as though asking if this was okay, and when you nodded, he left the room, though you could tell that he'd stay nearby.
Levi sighed the moment the two of you were alone and looked at the chair for a minute before opting to stand. "So..." he began. His voice was normal, but...was that nervousness you detected? "I'm...I didn't mean..." He growled softly, glaring at the opposite wall. "Hitting you. That was wrong of me. I didn't mean it," he said formally, still not looking directly at you.
You nodded. "It's okay, Levi. I forgive you, okay?"
He narrowed his eyes, still avoiding eye contact. "You shouldn't, (y/n). What if it was some other guy? What then? Would you just forgive him, too?"
You smiled innocently at him. "But it wasn't some other guy, Levi. It was you, and you're my brother, so I'll always forgive you."
There was a tormented void in his eyes as he finally turned to look at me. "That's what I'm worried about," he said softly. "I'll just keep hurting you one way or another, not necessarily hitting you, but the things I say, how I act..." He shook his head, closing his pained eyes. "And you'll forgive me, whether I deserve it or not. Can't you see the fallacy in that? Can't you see how flawed that approach is?"
You shrugged. "I never really thought about not forgiving you. You're part of my family, the only family I have left now, Levi, and no matter what you do, I know that you care about me, at least a little bit, even if you don't say so." You looked down at your hands, which were shaking slightly. "Besides, whatever you with me or to me won't be the worst."

~from Levi's POV~
What does (y/n) mean by that? "(Y/n), what do you mean?" After a moment of silence, I took a step closer. "(Y/n), who hurt you?"
She shook her head, and just whispered, "I'm glad that you stayed with Mom."