Chapter 34: A House is Not a Home

~from Himuro's POV~
I didn't really feel safe leaving (y/n) alone in my house, but I knew that my mother wouldn't do anything while I still had time to decide.
Besides, trying to think in this house was impossible with the impossible loudness of the walls of cold silence that it roofed.
I left (y/n) to sleep in the room as I went out for a walk.
As I was walking, I zoned out, staring at my feet and just hoping that I don't get hit by a car in my oblivious state.
Finally, I sat down on a bench in a nearby park and clasped my hands together, staring at the ground with a mindless intensity.
When he tapped me on the shoulder, it took me a few moments to snap back into reality.
"Himuro?" he asked, his eyes wide. "Himuro?"
I blinked slowly and sat up. "You're (y/n)'s friend...Jaeger, right?"
He nodded and hesitated before sitting beside me. "Is (y/n)...how is she?" he asked, not looking up.
I joined him in staring at the frost-covered leaves below my feet. "I'm letting her sleep right now," I said, not quite answering his question. Then, "I'm not sure how she is," I answered honestly. Muttering under my breath, I added, "Damn it, Levi."
Eren just sort of nodded.
"What happened? After I left, I mean."
Eren exhaled slowly. "Levi was kicked out of the game. I thought he'd be mad, you know? But...I don't think he could have played at all. He looked...kind of dead."
Good. Part of you was pleased to hear that, but part of you was also a bit afraid. If he's showing signs of remorse, what does that mean about his connection to (y/n)? Was it all a big mistake?
It doesn't matter, I finally decided. Anyone who hurts (y/n) is just another risk that I have to shield her from, whether it was intentional harm or not.
"Where is (y/n)?" Eren asked, and I tried not to melt into the bench out of disappointment.
"She's staying at my mother's house for now," I began vaguely, but before I realized it, I was unloading my burdens onto this stranger. "My mother doesn't- well, she's not exactly fond of (y/n). I don't know how long she'll let (y/n) stay." It wasn't the entire truth, but it was close enough.
"And then?" Eren prompted softly. "What happens when she can't stay with your mother?"
I clenched my jaw. "Even I can't do anything then."
The two of us sat in silence for a few moments before Eren looked up.
"Hey, I've got an idea," he said, and I looked over at him. "(Y/n) can stay with me."
"What?" I asked out of pure reflex.
He blushed slightly, but it faded when the harsh reality of the situation set in. "Well, it's just, (y/n) doesn't have a place to stay right now, right? Because it's not safe to leave her with Levi?"
I bit down on my teeth, but I nodded.
He nodded back, still talking. "And due to your family situation, she can't stay with you for very long either. Well, my house is fairly close to the school, and we always keep an extra room for Mikasa since she's practically family. Mikasa's staying with us right now, but I'm sure that she wouldn't mind sharing her room for a bit, and my mom won't mind at all." He smiled faintly. "She always wanted a daughter, I think."
"And what about your dad?" I asked, hesitant. Ever since (y/n) had been raped, I'd started to see every male figure as a potential danger to her safety. Yeah, I guess that's a bit paranoid, but better safe than sorry.
Eren just kind of shrugged. "He's not home right now. He said he was...what was it? Something with a basement. Building basements, maybe?"
"He's in construction?"
"Not really, no?" Eren just shrugged. "Whatever. It's probably not important. Anyhow, he's overseas on a business trip or something."
I paused. "Sorry for asking. I didn't mean to be invasive or doubt you."
Eren just smiled sadly, only it wasn't really a smile at all. "It's okay, Himuro. I get it. With (y/n)..." He looked up and blew out a breath. "I'd want to make sure, too." He looked over and grinned at me. "So? How about it?"
I hesitated, reluctant to let (y/n) slip out of my hands into a place I'd never been before with people I'd never met.
Eren, seeing my indecision, smiled shyly. "How about this. You bring (y/n) over for dinner tonight, and you can meet my family, okay?"
I immediately remembered my mother's cold words. "Dinner. 6:30. Don't be late."
But if I say yes, I will end up separated from (y/n) after graduation.
Looking up at Eren, I nodded. "Sounds good." We both stood up. "And...thanks, Jaegar."
He grinned. "No problem. (Y/n)'s a good friend of mine. And you can call me Eren, by the way."
I gave him a half smile and nodded. "Thanks, Eren." I checked the time. "We should hurry and get (y/n), and then we'll go to your house."
He nodded. "Lead the way."
***
Yet again, I walked into the house as silently as possible, motioning for Eren to follow me, and we made it to my bedroom without seeing my mother. I scooped (y/n) up from my bed, as she was still sleeping, and turned to find Eren's face an interesting shade of pink.
"Sorry," he whispered, still blushing. "It's just that...I've never seen (y/n) sleep before."
I looked down at her sleeping face and quickly looked away, a slight blush on my face as well.
Neither Eren nor I acknowledged it.