Chapter 37: Back to School for You!

~from (y/n)'s POV~
You vaguely answered Eren's questions ("I just felt sick...") and woke up the next morning determined to go to school.
Your determination had less to do with the fact that you wanted to go to school and more with the fact that the principle had called Himuro (your listed guardian) to let him know that if you missed 5 more days, you would be pulled back a year.
You really didn't want to be separated from your friends, so you dragged yourself out of bed and followed Eren and Mikasa, two steps behind them until Eren noticed and dragged you up beside him, claiming that he didn't want to lose you again.
You were happy that Eren still paid attention to you, and you were even happier that you were on the other side of him so Mikasa couldn't incinerate you with her eyes.
When you reached the school courtyard, you slipped out of Eren's gripp and rushed in the opposite direction from the main doors, waving at them over your shoulder and promising to meet them in your first hour class. First, you had someone to avoid!

~from Eren's POV~
"Wait! (Y/n)! Where are you going?!" I shouted after her as she broke away in a light jog.
"Sorry! I'll see you in first hour!" (y/n) shouted, and then she was gone.
"Why-" I began, but as my eyes were searching the crowd for her, I picked out and individual and (y/n)'s strange behavior began to make sense. "Damn it," I growled, and Mikasa silently followed my line of sight.
"What did he ever do to you?" she asked, her eyes narrowed.
"Nothing," I said with a scowl. "But I hate him so much."
"Why?"
I turned away from Levi before I went up to him and punched him in the face. "Because he hit (y/n), that's why."
Mikasa let out a breath. "Why do you even care about that girl?" she asked. "What does she mean to you?"
I couldn't find a suitable answer, so I just shook my head and walked away, heading towards my first hour class so I could see (y/n) sooner.

~from (y/n)'s POV~
You ran into first hour just as the bell rang, apologized to the teacher, and quickly took your seat.
"(Psst! (Y/n)," Eren whispered, and you looked over at him. "Are you okay?" he mouthed.
You nodded, and he smiled before turning back towards the front. Mikasa was glaring at you again.
"Hey! (Y/n)!" Koganei said from behind you, and you turned and smiled at him.
"Hello, Koganei."
"We missed you yesterday, Managaer-chan!" he said, and you blushed slightly.
"Eh? I'm pretty sure that no one-"
"Hanji tried to make Armin put on a skirt and pretend to be Manager," Furihata whispered conspiratorially, shivering and wincing.
"Ooooh," you murmured, and he nodded.
"Please come back," he whispered, still shaking. "I don't think I can take that again."
You nodded quickly, and turned back towards the front as the teacher instructed you to change partners for an assignment. You stood up and went to change desks when you bumped into someone.
"Eeeh~"
"Gomenasai, Manager-chan!" Sakurai apologized, and you went to tell him that it was okay when your foot hook on the desk and you tripped, falling backwards...
...but then Sakurai shifted and caught you, blushing and avoiding eye contact with you. "Sumimasen!" he said, closing his eyes a though expecting you to hit him.
"Thank you, Sakurai," you said, wincing and testing your ankle.
"Eh? (Y/n)-chan, are you hurt?" he immediately asked, and his eyes widened. "Gomen!! Do you want me to bring you to the nurse?"
You shook your head quickly. "N-no thanks, Sakurai. I think I'll be fine! But thank you so much for catching me!"
He nodded, blushing and looking away. "H-h-hey, (y/n)," he said. "I was thinking that m-m-maybe we could be desk p-partners since we're switching?"
You went to accept when you felt someone tugging your sleeve.
"Hey, (y/n)!" Koganei said, grinning. "Want to be my desk partner?"
"Eeeeeh~?" you asked, looking back and forth between your two basketball friends. Two offers at once...whose do I accept?"
"Or, um, (y/n)," began Furihata nervously. "I mean, if you can't find anyone else, I wouldn't mind...you know, sitting next to you..."
Then you felt someone else gently grab your arm and you turned.
"You're sitting with me, (y/n), right?" Eren asked, his eyes bright.
Why so many?! "Umm-"
"I know!" Koganei said. "Rock paper scissors! Whoever wins gets (y/n)!"
"W-w-wait! W-why am I b-being raffled off?" you asked, eyes wide in confusion, and Koganei grinned at you.
"Because you're a lot of fun, (y/n)!" he said, and you looked at him, confused.
"Fun? Me?"
He nodded, grinning and turned to Sakurai. "Best two out of three!"
Sakurai nodded and closed his eyes.
"1...2...3!"
Koganei ended up beating both Sakurai ("Gomenasai, (y/n)-chan!!") and Furihata, and then it was down to Eren and Koganei.
In a surprising (although not really) outcome, Eren won.
"Yes!" He turned and grinned at you. "C'mon, (y/n)! Where do you want to sit?"
"Um..." You turned and saw Mikasa looking sadly at Eren's back, as though she'd wanted him to choose her. "Eren, I think Mikasa wants you-" As soon as you mentioned her name, Mikasa snapped her eyes to yours in a fierce glare, and you swallowed nervously. "Um...wherever you want," you replied, and as you turned and followed him to your new desk, you missed the look Mikasa gave you.
No, it wasn't jealousy; it wasn't hatred.
It was cold, cunning calculation.