Chapter 17: Predator

~from (y/n)'s POV~
Hanji, the only one of your friends that knew the danger of Shougo Haizaki, managed to pair you up with a friend all day long.
"Think about it, Eren! What if (y/n) suddenly collapses again?" Since when have I collapsed on a daily basis?! Oh, yeah...there was that time...
"Sasha, if you stay with (y/n) for the entire day, she'll give you a cookie!" I will?!
Hanji herself also acted as your shield, but somehow, you only grew more and more paranoid. Every time you heard someone laugh in the hallway, you flinched, imagining him just around the corner, lurking in the shadows.
However, you didn't want to worry Hanji or bother Himuro any more than you already were, so you tried to keep your fear to yourself. If it did show, you could blame it on anything - literally, anything - seeing as you were no doubt afraid of that, too.
For some reason, you found the dissonance of two paper towel dispensers set on different pitches to be utterly horrifying.
You knew that you couldn't hide from your fears forever, but it seemed to happen too quickly.
***
One day, Hanji said to go home without her because she had club activities.
Is Hanji in any clubs? I never heard about this...Shrugging, you nodded, and after school, you walked home with Levi, making sure to stay a few paces behind him to avoid becoming an annoyance. Levi never looked back to see if you were still following him, never asked you questions to make sure you were still there...
...and that was what made it too easy.

~from Haizaki's POV~
I've been watching her for two weeks now. Smart little bitch, she always had a friend hanging around. Or maybe her friends were the smart ones...That one guy didn't seem to like me much at all. Well, that's fine with me. I hate him too, always near (y/n), smiling at her and talking to her...
But her friends didn't know about me. I could tell as much simply from knowing (y/n)'s personality. She was weak; she'd lost all of her friends before and was no doubt too scared of history repeating itself.
She seemed to have a brother, though, one I'd never seen before. She usually walked home with him and that other freak, the one with the glasses. Glasses was always talking to her, but her brother ignored her.
He won't be a problem, I easily deduced, but how do I get rid of her?
It turns out that it was easier than I thought. In fact, I didn't have to lift a finger. I'd overheard her telling (y/n) about some club activities, which meant...
...which means that (y/n) will be alone with her brother on the way home from school.
Smiling to myself, I began to set my plan in motion.

~from (y/n)'s POV~
You were walking a few steps behind Levi when you felt a strange presence, and when you slowed down to look, someone put their hand over your mouth and dragged you into a side alley. You didn't need to wonder who it was. You already knew.
You immediately began struggling, trying to knee him in the stomach or kick him, but he just laughed. Fear mingling with anger, you felt your eyes tearing up, but...but I can't give up! However, after five minutes of struggling, you were only that much more exhausted, while he only seemed to grow more and more infuriatingly cocky.
"It's been a while...(y/n)," he whispered in your ear, sending a chill down your spine, and desperation flashed in your eyes.
"Why...me?" you choked out after he moved his hand from your mouth to your neck, a silent warning to be careful.
His answer horrified you. "Why not?"
You squirmed in his arms. "Let me go! Or I'll...I'll scream for help!"
His thumb massaged your throat, and you swallowed painfully. "We're in a dark alleyway. No one can see you. No one will hear you. No one will save you. And besides, (y/n)..." He applied light pressure to your throat, and suddenly, you couldn't breathe. "Don't forget that I'm the one in control here," he murmured, and you couldn't help but start trembling.
He just laughed, that self-assured laugh that he'd used back then. "Scared, (y/n)? Or are you...excited?"
You shook harder, tears spilling from your eyes, and you shut them as though hoping everything would just go away.
One hand still on your throat and the other still holding you tight again him, he leaned over and licked a tear off of your cheek. You leaned away from him, but he just yanked you closer.
"You can't run from me, (y/n). Although, I must say, scared women are kind of a turn-on," he breathed on your neck, and you flinched, crying louder, but he squeezed your throat harder and you started choking instead. "Stop playing games, (y/n)."
"Let...me...go..." you said, your words a strained whisper, but that seemed to upset Haizaki. He turned you slightly so you were facing him, but when you looked away, he smacked you hard enough to make your ears ring, and you started to fall back, but his arm, still snaked around your way, wouldn't let you move.
With no other place to look than at his face, you finally met his eyes, horrified by the look you saw and the smirk resting on his lips.
"Haizaki..." you whispered, unable to look away.
He grinned at you. "I'm back!"

~from Levi's POV~
Something doesn't feel right. I turned around, expecting to see (y/n) walking quietly behind me, but she was gone.
"Stupid girl, getting lost," I muttered before facing forward again and continuing on my way.