Chapter 26: Manager-chan?!

~from (y/n)'s POV~
Manager?!
Trying to get out of an immediate answer, you called Himuro. "Hey, sorry to bother you, Himuro," you said, wincing slightly. You knew that you relied on Himuro too much, but it wasn't as if you had that many other people to lean on. Himuro had always been there for you; you trusted him more than anyone else. Plus, he wanted to help you; you could tell.
"Hey, (y/n)!" he replied. "What's up?"
"I was wondering...see...well, it's nothing really," you said, kind of embarrassed, and you gave up.
"(Y/n), just tell me, okay? I just got off work, so I'm not doing anything."
You checked the clock. Himuro was the kind of guy who would say that he had nothing going on if you called him in the middle of his inauguration address. For once, though, he was being honest. You knew his schedule, and it looked like he really did just finish up. "Well...if it's not too much of a problem...I stayed after school to do...group work..." (it wasn't that far of a stretch), "and well...I'm kind of still nervous about walking home alone..."
Himuro instantly read your unspoken question. "Sure thing, (y/n)! I'll be up there in a few minutes. Hang out until then, okay? And be safe. Don't talk to strangers! And don't leave the safety of the school!"
You laughed at you half-brother's over-protectiveness. "I'll be okay, Himuro. And...thanks."
There was a moment of silence as both of you heard the nerves running under your voice, and then you could sense him smiling.
"No problem, (y/n). Wait for me."
You both hung up, and you turned around to see Koganei watching you. "You all right?" he asked, and you nodded, smiling.
"My brother is coming to pick me up," you said, raising the phone by way of explanation. "He'll be here soon."
"You have a brother, (y/n)?" Koganei asked, and Furihata and Sakurai seemed equally curious (although much less vociferous about it). As you started walking towards the main entrance, they followed eagerly.
You nodded shyly. "He's technically my half-brother. He doesn't go to this school, though. My other brother - my full-brother - does, though."
"Seriously? That's awesome!" Koganei exclaimed. "Tell us about him!"
"Which one?" you asked, slightly confused.
"Well...the half-brother, since he's coming to pick you up, right?"
You nodded. "Well, let's see...he's tall...he has dark hair like me (sorry if this isn't your hair color), and he's..." You looked up and smiled. "Right there," you said.
Koganei and the others followed your line of sight to Himuro, who was waving at you. You waved back, smiling, and walked towards him, your friends trailing behind you and whispering.
"That looks like..."
"Sorry, but no way..."
"It c-can't b-be..."
"Thanks for picking me up, Himuro," you said, giving him a hug (and thus missing his blush).
"No problem, (y/n)," he said as you pulled away, smiling down at you affectionately. "Is this the group you mentioned?"
You turned around to gesture to your friends and missed him narrowing his eyes at his rivals your friends. "Yep. This is Koganei, Furihata, and Sakurai. They're on the basketball team here." You faced Himuro again, a troubled look on your face. "And they want me to try out for manager."
Before Himuro could voice his multiple worries about the situation, you faced your group again. "Oh! And Himuro's on his school's basketball team, too!" So you should all get along, was the unspoken assumption, but to everyone except for you, it was quite clear that "getting along" wasn't going to be happening any time soon.
"So I guess we'll be seeing you again soon," Koganei replied, his smiled slightly forced, but the only one of your friends who was able to respond.
"And if I'm the manager, I'll get to see you play!" you realized, turning towards Himuro, who had never let you come to his games before because he said that he'd feel too nervous to play well with you watching him.
Himuro ran a hand through his hair, looking away. "Well, if you're going to be watching me, then I guess I'd better win," he said, looking back at you with a smile, only when you looked away, he was sending a declaration of war to your friends with his stare. "Well, come on, (y/n). I should be getting you home now."
With a wave towards Furihata, Sakurai, and Koganei, you left with Himuro, who took your hand in his "for safety reasons."
As though sensing your nervousness, Himuro took a path home that avoided going near the alley where you had nearly relived your trauma.
You thanked him silently by clutching his hand a little tighter. Just then, your cell phone went off.
"Who texted me?" you asked quietly, motioning for Himuro to stop for a second while you checked.

Hanji: hey (y/n)!!! where are you??? O.o

You typed back a reply: omw home

Hanji: why did u stay after school???
You: played a basketball game with the new kids
Hanji: seriously?! nice!!
You: yep! ^_^ they want me to be the manager!
Hanji: ... are you going to try out?
You: I think so? it sounds fun!
Hanji: ok well SEE YOU SOON! :P

You put your phone away and smiled at Himuro.
"All good?" he asked, and you nodded.
"Yep!"
And the two of you proceeded on your way...

~from Hanji's POV~
"Levi!" I yelled, pounding on his door. "Open up! Hurry!"
Levi opened the door, looking particularly pissed. "What the hell, Hanji-"
I walked in without asking and turned to face him. "Levi, we've got an emergency!"
He frowned, looking bored. "What kind?"
"The (y/n) kind!!"
He sighed but didn't walk away. "What is it now?" he asked, and although he tried to appear uninterested, I could tell that I had him baited perfectly.
"(Y/n) is going to be the manager for the basketball team!" Well, she has to try out, but he doesn't have to know that...
"So?" he asked. "Stop wasting my time, Hanji."
"Sooooo, she'll be surrounded by high school boys, all the time, and who knows what they'll do? What if there's a guy like Haizaki on the basketball team?"
He was quiet. "A few basketball guys talked to her on the way home from school the other day," he said thoughtfully.
He's been caught in my trap! Perfect! Hiding a grin, I leaned in a little closer. "Who knows when they'll make a move? (Y/n)'s so cute that it's bound to happen sooner or later!"
He nodded, sighing before looking up. "Fine, Hanji. Now go away."
I blinked, shocked. No reaction? "Well, what are you going to do about it, Levi? You can't make (y/n) change her mind."
"I wasn't going to," he snapped, turning away. "No. I'm going to...join the basketball team," he finished.
Whaaaaaat?! I grinned. This turned out much better than I expected.