Chapter 40: I Want to See Her

~from Eren's POV~
"Wait, (y/n) is in the hospital?" I repeated, my eyes wide. "What happened?" I clenched my fingers, my knuckles turning white. "She's- she's going to be okay, right?"
My mom didn't say anything for a long moment. "She should be fine," she responded weakly. "Himuro said it just looks like fever."
"Some kind of fever that is!" I said, mad that my mom was still lying to me. "You wouldn't be crying if (y/n) just had a fever. What's really wrong?"
My mom shook her head. "That's all I can tell you. Eren-" She stopped, looking at me with dark eyes before pulling me towards her. This time I let her, and she pressed her lips to the crown of my head before slowly walking out of the kitchen.
Without hesitating, I ran out the front door-
-and straight into Mikasa.
We both fell down, but I got up first, eager to go and see (y/n).
"What's wrong?" she asked, her voice even and level-headed.
I shook my head. "(Y/n) is in the hospital-"
"So what?" she asked, her voice cold, and I had to stop and ask her to repeat herself.
"What do you mean, so what? I have to go see if she's okay."
"I'm sure she's fine," she muttered, turning away.
"Mikasa-" I said, touching her shoulder, and she moved away from my touch, slapping my hand away.
"Don't touch me when you're thinking about her," she snapped, glaring at me.
"Mikasa?" I asked hesitantly, putting a step of space between us. "What's wrong?"
"What's wrong?" she asked slowly before letting out a bitter laugh. "What's wrong is that we've been best friends for years, Eren, and you still treat me like your little sister! What's wrong is that you meet another girl, and a week later, you're already talking about her! To me! That's what's wrong!" she shouted at me, her eyes glittering darkly.
I narrowed my eyes. "Mikasa, (y/n) is my friend. You're my friend, too, and right now (y/n) is in the hospital. If you were hospitalized, I'd go and see you, too!"
She shook her head, turning away and letting out a choked laugh that sound like a sob, but I knew that Mikasa never cried. "Whatever. It doesn't matter anymore. Go and see her," she said, and for a second, I debated staying back and dealing with Mikasa, but I was too worried about (y/n) to focus.
"I'll see you later," I said before running off.

~from Mikasa's POV~
That was as close as I could ever come to confessing my long-cultivated feelings for Eren, and the idiot was so dense that he couldn't tell.
But maybe it's best for me to let go, I reasoned with myself. Eren's made it clear that he doesn't like me in that way. Maybe I should just accept our relationship and hope for the best.
Besides...I don't like the girl I've become, one who would trouble someone else just to separate them from Eren. If my actions aren't pure, then maybe my feelings aren't, either.
I looked up at the darkening sky.
I hope...
I hope that (y/n) is all right.

I sighed, walking back towards my house. I wasn't brave enough to go see her and confess what I'd done just yet, but...it was a step.

~from Himuro's POV~
I held (y/n)'s hand, the sound of the monitor beeping reassuring me that she was alive.
(Y/n)...you really scared me today, you know that?

~flashback~
I'd picked up the call on the third ring only to hear silence. "(Y/n)? (Y/n)?" I pulled the phone away from my ear, frowning. It was probably nothing, but...
I left work early, having my friend cover for me, and raced to her school only to find out that (y/n) was in detention. I was ready to argue with the secretary about every one of (y/n)'s wonderful traits and how she would never cheat when I got the feeling that I was running out of time.
I got the room number and ran there, faster with each step, to find the classroom empty.
Or so I thought.
That's when I saw her sprawled across the floor, and I was so scared that I couldn't even move for a second. Then I was running again, pulling out my phone and calling 9-1-1 as I took her pulse.
Next to (y/n) on the floor was her cellphone, stuck on the call ended screen, and my throat tightened when I saw my own number listed.
What if...What if I'd gotten here faster? What if it's too late already? Was (y/n) scared?
The missing teacher was lucky that I didn't find him, because I would have tried to kill him on the spot, I'm sure of that.
I got in the ambulance with (y/n) and followed her into the hospital, where we got a private room. From there, I called Mrs. Jaeger to let her know what had happened. Then I turned back to (y/n), never letting go of her hand.
Part of that was because I didn't want to let her go.
The other part was because my own hand was shaking uncontrollably.
~end flashback~

The doctors told me that she'd be fine, that whatever happened was just a fluke probably derived from a lack of sleep or an overabundance of stress.
But I know.
I know that this isn't going to be the last time that my heart stops for a long, unbearable moment. This kind of thing may happen more frequently. So no, it's not "all right."
I was thinking about (y/n) when I heard a knock on the door, followed by the entrance of a nurse.
"Excuse me, Himuro-san," she said. "There's somebody in the hallway who wants to see (y/n)." She paused, looking over at (y/n) before turning back to me. "Whether or not you allow visitors is now up to you."
I nodded and hesitated for a moment. Finally, "It's okay. They can come in."