Get Down!

Judy pulls the megaphone down to her mouth. "Jim McCartwright! Stand down, and we can guarantee a fair trial. This doesn't have to get any messier."

We've been here for about three minutes, and already almost the entire force has surrounded the brick building, paws close to their holsters. Bogo and Savage are working, too, not sitting back and letting us do it all.

A thin, reedy voice yells at us from an open window. "I've got four hostages! If any of your people come any closer, someone will get hurt."

"Stand down, Jim. I don't want to have to tell your daughters that their father was accidentally shot because he wouldn't listen to reason." Judy's face is hard. McCartwright better start listening to reason.

"Is that a threat? Who are you?"

"I am Officer Judy Hopps, from the ZPD. I'm not threatening you. We have you surrounded. One wrong move, and we'll have to shoot. Don't do anything you'll regret."

Bogo steps forward, his booming voice needing no megaphone. I have to admit, he does have a pair of lungs on him. "Stand down."

"You people don't understand. My youngest, she's sick. The doctors say that, if she doesn't get the right treatment, she might be mentally impaired forever. I need this money."

_________________________________

Oh. Guilt, remorse, and uncertainty all hit me. He's just trying to save his daughter. But he's stealing other people's money who might need it just as badly. I have to do my job.

Nick reaches over and gently takes the megaphone from my hand. "I'll handle this one, Carrots." His eyes are sad, but determined.

I nod. "Go ahead. You know we can't let him take it, right?"

"I know. Trust me."

"I do trust you. Now, try not to let this end with violence, okay?"

"Of course." He winks, and starts speaking into the mouthpiece.

"Jim! Officer Nick Wilde, ZPD. Listen, we can't let you get away with that money. We have a job to do. But we are NOT the bad guys. What's you daughters name?"

Jim's now familiar voice hesitantly. "Misti. Her name is Misti."

Nick smiles, even though McCartwright can't see it. "That's a beautiful name. I can't let you take that money, but what I can do is help your daughter."

"How? And why would you do that?"

"I'll do it, because if it were my daughter, I'd probably be in the same position as you right now. I tell you what. The ZPD has a little pull now, and a lot of publicity, so if we publicly started a charity for Misti, word would spread like wildfire, and we could probably get enough money rustled up. But I can only do that if you come quietly. What do you say, Jim?"