First Mission

(I'm back! Miss me? I know it hasn't been long, but I really couldn't stay away any longer. I miss you guys. I miss this story. I miss the ruthless and relentless hate of Jack. Give the guy a break. He never even made a move and Judy, did he? Maybe a little one. So. Y'all ready?)

I sigh. "Bekka, it's Jack. Or Savage if you can't manage that. I've told you before."

She grins. "I know. I just pretended not to hear you, Jackie. So. We haven't talked in a couple of days. What's up. Anything new?"

I give her a through detail of all the officers, their skills, temperaments, friends, training. She nods. She'll remember all of this without a single detail omitted. It's her gift, the reason she is one of the best in the ZSS. One of the few I would be wary fighting. Because once she knows your fighting style, you can count yourself unconscious.

She...WE need this information to best assign jobs, partners, and weapons in an assignment.

I finish quickly, touching lightly on the shift in Wilde and Hopps relationship, and she nods thoughtfully.

"Good. How quickly can you put a team together? We'll need relatively small mammals who are good shots, clever, and can work well together. We need a total of six officers on this mission."

I lean forward. NOW it's getting interesting. The robbery this morning was diverting, but none of my trainees skills really were put to the test.

"What's the mission?"

"It's a test, really, but they aren't to know that. They'll think that there are mammals being held by a undisclosed criminal in Savannah Central. We have a volunteer to play the criminal mastermind." She holds a picture up that she was concealing in her pocket. Nothing very exciting. A sandy furred fennec fox with sunglasses and a snarl.

"His name Finnick Xofton, thirty-five, and has a small criminal record.

I ask again. How quickly can you have a team together?"

I look her straight in the face. "They're off duty tonight. But tomorrow, they'll be ready to go if you are. Will I be leading this mission?"

Bekka nods, grey fur rising and falling. "Of course. They wouldn't trust me nearly as much. Tomorrow. Call you then, Jackie." She stands and whooshes out the door, doubtless going to meet with a hundred other agents about a million things.

I order sautéed carrots.