A Deal

Bogo shifts next to me, but I notice he doesn't try to make Wilde take his promise back. He doesn't want to put his people in danger, and at the moment, this is the least bloody way to end the problem.

Bogo drops his voice low. "Savage. If McCartwright doesn't stand down, could you get into that building and bring him back out, without getting shot?"

"Yes, I could, but I don't think that will be necessary, sir. I believe Officer Wilde has a good command of the situation."

He snorts, shaking his head like a fly is bothering him. "Always good to have a backup plan, with those two as partners." He nods his head towards Hopps and Wilde. "They're good at their job, I'll admit, but, Wilde's a practical joker."

Jim's voice calls out of the window. It's subdued and meek compared to his earlier aggression. "Alright. I'll come. But if you don't hold to your promise, and if something happens to my little girl, I will make you regret it."

"I don't doubt it. Thank you, Jim. Please send all of your hostages out the door, throw your guns UNLOADED out of the window, and walk out with your hands above your head. We'll have to handcuff you, understand?" Wilde is all professionalism now that the threat is gone.

Jim sounds empty and deflated. "Yeah. I understand."

A shrew, goat, lemming, and a horse file out of the bank. Two officers step forward to escort them to a hospital, to be checked for shock or any nervous system problems. Two guns fall into the bushes from the first story window, and McCartwright himself walks out, paws in the air, chin up, and eyes staring at the ground. Wilde sets the megaphone on the hood of a patrol car, and unclips a pair of cuffs from his belt. He talks in a low voice to the criminal, cuffing him securely, but not too tight. He's obviously trying to reassure the lynx, even though we've already caught him and can do as we please now.

Judy walks over to the fox, and slugs his shoulder. "Good work, partner."

He flashes her a toothy grin. "I know."