Chapter 35: Hammerhead

Jesse and I decided to walk to work today. We walked hand in hand down the promenade. We had already been passed by H man on his bike and Hoppo in his car. We were ahead of Matt Dee and Mouse, though, who had been walking to work too.

“So, last night was fun.” Jesse said. I giggled and kissed his cheek.

“We have to go out more. On more dinners and stuff.” I said as Jesse smiled, his clear, sky blue eyes twinkling.

“Oh no. Being indoors is much more fun with you.” I shook my head and pinched his nose.

“But the outdoors is good for you.” I said cheekily. Jesse smiled.

“Get ready to run. I’m going to beat you to the tower.” He growled playfully.

“No way!” I said. I ran away from Jesse who was in hot pursuit of me. It was a horrible grey, depressing day, and only the hard-core surfers were out. But then there wasn’t event that many here, most were down at Bronte or Maroubra. We raced to the tower, and as we were running, Harries sprinted past us. We collapsed, exhausted.

“Suckers!” Harries yelled. Jesse and I burst out laughing. This was an awesome way to start the day. We climbed up the stairs and entered the tower just as the rain began to pour down.

“Get this, it’s the wettest day in history in Sydney today!” Deano read out from his phones weather forecast. Unfortunately, everybody except Matt Dee and Mouse made it into the tower nice and dry. They burst in, drenched.

“Black Cloud is back.” Matt said laughing. Mouse was wet and it looked like he had tripped in the sand on the way up. Hoppo entered and took in Mouse’s state.

“Hoppo, can I go and shower?” We all laughed.

“Nah Cloudy. You can suck it up.” Hoppo said, smirking.

“Mouse, I have some spare stuff in my bag.” I offered. Our uniforms were exactly the same because I wore the boardies that they boys did. “They might be a bit big though.” I joked. Mouse glared at me as the boys laughed.

“Just give them to me.” He sighed. I grabbed the stuff and chucked them at Mouse. He left to get changed. We all sat down and watched the gloomy day begin to unfold.

I, Maxi and Matt were playing cards and the others were half watching the water, half making small talk, when the phone rang. I was sitting closest to it, so I answered it.

“Hello, Bondi Lifeguards Emilee speaking.” I said.

“Hey Emilee, I was going for a walk around the cliffs when I saw a shark circling a few surfers.” A man said.

“Alright thanks, we’ll chase it up.” The boys looked at me for an explanation.

“Shark circling some surfers up near the cliffs.” I informed the team. Hoppo sprang into action. Although there were no swimmers, the shark was a danger anyway and there was those few idiots surfing near the cliffs- swimming shark bait.

“Alright, Maxi, you and Harries stay here and man the tower, Jesse and Nals you’re on the Jet Ski, and Matt Dee and I will head up to the cliffs to see if we can spot something.” We all left. Jesse, Harries and I launched the ski into the water and then we got all the gear that we would need on.

“Jesse, what if we get eaten?” I ask, afraid. Like my father, I had always been afraid of sharks.

“Hon, if you die, you die on national television.” He teased.

“Well. I don’t want to die like this.” I huffed as Jesse tightened my life jacket.

“How do you want to die?” He asked.

“I want to fall off the world’s biggest barrel.” I told him. Jesse rolled his eyes and kissed me passionately.

“We’re going to be ok. Ok?” he said. I smiled and pecked his cheek.

“Ok.” Jesse grinned and we ran down and jumped on the ski. Jesse got on the mat and I got onto the seat. I revved the engine and took off. Following Hoppo’s directions over the radio, I drove the ski around to where the shark had been seen. When it saw us, the surfers it had been circling were left and it came to see us. It wasn’t anything to bad, just a four metre hammerhead. I almost shit my pants. I squealed.

“Nals, chase it away!” I revved the engine and chased the shark out to sea. It bolted and I stopped.

“Good job Nals.” Jesse yelled. With the shark safely away we rode back to shore. We pulled the ski up onto the sand and Harries helped us put it away. We were all wet because of the horrible rain and once safely in the tower, we all collapsed and rugged ourselves in towels.

“What was it Nals?” Harries asked.

“Hammerhead.” I told him shivering. Jesse wrapped his arms around me.

“Oh, they’re not too bad. I guess they’ll give you a nip if you annoy them though.” Hoppo said.

“A bit of a nip? Hoppo, are you donating your toes?” I said shocked. How are these guys not scared of sharks? Everybody laughed at me.

“Like father, like daughter.” Harries teased.