Chapter 91: Ring

Jesse POV

I took a deep breath, and tried to stop my hands from shaking.

“Mate I have never seen you this nervous.” Maxi stated.

“Thanks.” I mumbled. This was stupid. Two weeks ago I would have never proposed to Emilee because I hated her so much. But I still loved her like I do now, and this is just one thing on my list of things I need to fix/do.

We were at the Bucket List, waiting for everybody to come for a leaving party to celebrate Em’s short time as a lifeguard with us. She’d enrolled into University and was going to be studying there and working at Bondi Bather part time. I was proud of her, but I was going to miss watching her rescues.

“Just chill.” Harrison told me. I nodded.

“It’s not that easy Hutz.” I replied. Kerrbox, Nicola and Reidy walked in.

“You ready Jess?” Nic asked.

“Nope. I’m shitting myself Nic.” I admitted. Kerrbox ruffled my hair.

“Don’t stress buddy. She’ll say yes.” He reassured me. It should have worked, considering how he’s Emilee’s Dad and all, but my nerves swam around my stomach and I felt like throwing up.

We had all planned it out very carefully. Emilee went to spend a day with Charlotte and Taco and then they got the invite text. Charlotte would insist that Emilee gets ready with her, and that Em should text me saying she’ll meet me there.

I pulled out my phone and checked my messages. Charlotte had texted.

She’s all set! Looks stunning. U better not back out or I’ll force it out of u.

I grinned. I knew I couldn’t back out now… I am actually scared shitless of Charlotte. She’s terrifying. I quickly typed out a reply as more of the boys arrived.

I won’t don’t worry. Just scared she’ll say no…

Deano, Hoppo, Yak and a few others walked in. I checked my watch.

7:52 pm

Emilee loved being places on time. I knew she would arrive at exactly 8, which meant I had exactly 8 minutes to finish mentally preparing myself.

Yatesey and Chapo practically ran in.

“SHE’S COMING!” They gasped. My eyes widened. This was the part of the plan which I was scared about. Emilee would walk in, and I would be standing there, with all the boys behind me, and get down on one knee. I had a speech prepared on little cue cards that I would read out, and hopefully, Emilee would say yes.

Taco and Charlotte walked in hand in hand, with Em following begrudgingly behind them. Once she saw me her eyes lit up. Then she saw everybody grinning like idiots behind me and stopped.

“Why are you all smiling like that?” She asked suspiciously. Maxi nudged me and I practically fell before Emilee. She looked stunning. She wasn’t dressed all fancy, but she still looked gorgeous. She had a blue skirt on: long at the back and short at the front, and had a simple black tank top on. She wore thongs (as per usual) and some anklets that no doubt Charlotte had given her because Emilee doesn’t usually do jewelry.

“Jesse? What’s going on?” She asked when I fell onto one knee. I fumbled with my cue cards, but when I couldn’t get them straight tossed them away.

“Stuff it. Emilee Kerr.” I looked at her in adoration.

“Emilee Kerr. I remember when I met you one year ago to this day. You were wearing those denim shorts that I love and your hair was all messy and you look severely jetlagged. I remember that I thought you wanted an autograph or something. “ Everybody chuckled.

“But you weren’t… I’d actually forgotten Kerrbox’s daughter was coming despite the fact that’s all he spoke about for 3 weeks. But that didn’t matter. I thought you were gorgeous and funny from the moment I met you. I wanted to ask you out, but I wanted to wait for my chance. So when you needed somewhere to stay whilst Box looed for a new apartment, I took a chance. And it was the best chance. A chance of a lifetime.”

Emilee had tears in her eyes and I took in a deep breath so I could continue.

“Those first couple of weeks living with you were like a dream. I woke up to your fabulous cooking every morning, and started hyping myself up to ask you out. But then you rescued that Luke guy, and started dating him. I was so jealous. I hated him. But I bided my time for that month or so, until that night when I finally kissed you. It was the best I’d felt in weeks, being able to feel you and think you could actually be mine… but then Luke came in and ruined it for himself. After that, you were mine.”

Everybody awed.

“I’m not going to tell our whole story together because there’s too many times to count where I’ve hated you, and loved you or we’ve had fun or we’ve had a fight, but I will say this. Emilee Kerr, you are my other half. You are my heart and you hold my heart in yours. You are my everything. I would jump off a cliff if it meant I could save you. I would launch myself into a river. I would do anything for you, because I love you that much. You are the most important person in my life and I never want that to go away like it almost did because I was absolutely heartbroken, I felt like… I can’t even describe what it all felt like hurt, shame, relentless guilt… and I never want it to happen again.”

“Get on with it!” Somebody yelled. Emilee sniggered and I chuckled.

“So, will you marry me?” I asked, pulling out a new ring. Not the one I was going to give to her in London which I could see on her finger,

Everything went silent and Em stared at me and bit her lip.

It felt like decades passed.

Centuries even, until she said…

“YES! Of course I will marry you Jesse!” She said. I leapt up and lifted Emilee up, tears stinging my eyes. I was so happy.

We span around and I stared at Em.

“I love you.” I told her. She chuckled.

“I know. But I love you too silly.” She replied.