Chapter 45: Special Day

It’s my Birthday.

I woke up to see the light streaming in through our window in the small house that Jesse and I live in together, and his hand wrapped around my waist. I felt excitement bubbling in my stomach and I knew that it was a special day.

“Morning beautiful.” Jesse leant over and kissed my cheek. I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck.

“Hey Jess.” I replied kissing him back. He grinned and got up. I looked at him puzzled. Has he forgotten what day it was today? Puzzled, I sighed and got up too. I pulled on my lifeguard uniform, some thongs and a pair of sunnies that Maxi gave me from the lost and found collection that was slowly accumulating a lot of junk. We never bothered showering in the mornings on work days, considering we would get in the water and sand straight after anyway.

“What time are we on today?” I asked him whilst walking into the kitchen. Jesse wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his head on my shoulder. I smiled weakly.

“8.” Jesse replied, kissing my neck. I pushed him off, angry that he forgot today. It was 7:45 and it took about ten minutes to get to work if traffic was bad.

“Let’s go.” I said icily. Jesse looked at me weirdly, and shrugged, following me out to the car. He chucked me the keys as I climbed into the driver’s seat and backed out. I drove fast and angrily to work, passing through the entrance gates and finding a free car park. When I stopped the car, I got some satisfaction out of the day by slamming my door.

“Em, what’s wrong?” Jesse asked me. He blocked my path and I breathed out angrily.

“Nothing.” I lied.

 Idiot. Jesse’s not stupid, well he is but that’s different.

“I know something’s up.” He said.

See? Told you.

“No, just can we go alright?” I seethed. I pushed past him and walked straight down to the hot sand and up the stairs that led up to the tower. I was seething that my boyfriend had forgotten. It was too early to be at work on my birthday, and nobody even knew about it, which made it suck even more.

Heck with it, dad hadn’t even called me this morning.

So naturally, I got a bit scared when all the boys on duty jumped out from behind chairs and spinal boards yelling surprise.

“SURPRISE!” They all yelled. I jumped in shock and began to laugh. They all looked at me like I was weird. I actually could not stop laughing. I managed to sit down on a chair and let the boys approach me.

“Happy Birthday darling!” Dad said. Maxi, Mouse, Matt Dee, Yatesy, Jesse, Dad, Gonzo (I still can’t look at him) and Hoppo crowded around me all holding badly wrapped packages.

“Thanks dad!” I said hugging him back.

“Now let’s make this quick. It’s going to be busy.” Hoppo instructed. We all laughed.

“Calm your tits Hop.” Mouse teased. Hoppo grinned and rolled his eyes. I opened the gift that dad gave me, throwing the wrapping paper into our little basket bin. In my hands was a piece of paper with a picture of a new surf board on it. I gasped.

“Oh my gosh! Dad!” I pulled him into another massive hug and he laughed.

“Come over tonight if you want the real thing.” He said whilst laughing. I grinned and Maxi shoved his gift in my face.

“Open it!” he urged. I rolled my eyes and took it from me. It was a package that you send mail in, and I didn’t trust what was going to be in it. An envelope fell out and I ripped that open. Two shiny plane tickets fell out.