Chapter 65: Take Off

My headphones blared out my music in my car. I was playing a bit of 5 seconds of summer- I got hooked to their music ever since they played at the Strongathon.

The Strongathon was a big hit. Maxi reckons half of Sydney turned up to the event and we raised over six thousand dollars, of which we donated half to headspace and FTW. Matt Dee was pleased, to say the least. And now we're (myself, Jesse, Maxi, Mouse, Hoppo and Nicola) on our way to the airport for our flight to England for our promotional tour for Strong.

This morning, Jesse and I packed our bags, ready to go. I barely slept last night I was so excited! Then we went to say goodbye to everybody at the tower considering we were going to be gone a month. Kara and Harrison left yesterday and Deano, who is in charge whilst Hoppo is gone was stressed already. He kind of yelled his goodbye at us trying to find the record book for the day when we went to see him this morning. It was pretty funny. Dad decided to elect himself official driver of the Strong team, so at about 7 this morning, he came around to pick us up in Gran’s big seven seater car, which just fit all of us in it.

Jesse’s sleeping head fell off my shoulder and onto my lap and whilst I stared out the window, I stroked through his brown hair, which was seriously getting too long. I needed to get him into a barber to cut it.

Anyway, Nicola stared at me and giggled at Jesse. I flicked the bird at her and stuck her tongue out at me. Nobody was really talking. We were all too exhausted. Maxi was staring at his phone, Mouse was asleep and drooling (gross) and Hoppo and my Dad were talking quietly. Jesse wriggled around and then curled up to me again.

My music stopped playing temporarily and my text tone took its place. I picked up the phone and click on the unread message which was from Emma.

Hey babe, just wishing you luck for the trip, I’ll see u in 4 weeks, make sure to text us (Emma & Char) and we’ll call you! Loves you forever xxxxxxxxxxxxxx -EMMA & CHAR THE COOLEST CHICK AROUND THIS PLACE XX

I giggled at my crazy friends, and composed a message back.

Hey chickorolls, thx heaps for the kisses! ILY so much, I’ll miss u heaps, see u soooooooon xx –Emmmmm

I pressed send and then went back to staring out the window. I realised we had arrived at the airport and Dad was just looking for a spot to back the minivan. I gently turned to Jesse and shook him awake.

“Love, we’re here.” I whispered, kissing him gently on the cheek. Jesse opened his eyes and stole a kiss on my lips. I giggled, until Dad cleared his throat. We both blushed.

“Troupes, we have arrived.” He announced. We all laughed and mouse woke up with a jolt.

“Wha- where are we?” He asked sleepily. We all laughed at him.

“At the terminal you dickweed.” Nicola replied smirking. I chuckled and then went to grab my bags. I had packed all the stuff I’d need into a large duffel bag and small suitcase. Jesse had just a large duffel. He helped me grab my cases, and then we all trouped into the airport. Hoppo and Maxi went and checked us in, got the bags on their way, and then we proceeded through security. But, I had to say goodbye to Dad. He couldn’t come any further. I turned to him and gave him the biggest hug, I think I’d ever given him. He had tears glinting in his eyes.

“I’m going to miss you Em.” He whispered in my ear. I think he thought it was like when I left to go to Bali and he would never see me again.

“I’ll miss you too dad. But I’m coming home- I have to make up for all the work I’ve missed don’t I?” I said with a smile. Dad laughed.

“That’s my girl. Now have fun, raise awareness, and play some good pranks. April fools is coming up.” He winked and I giggled.

“I’ll be back by then Dad. Anyway, I got to go. I’ll call you when we get there!” I yelled as I raced after the others. Jesse and Maxi had waited for me and together we walked slowly after Nic, Mouse and Hoppo. I didn’t bring anything on the flight apart from my phone and some headphones, but Maxi had a backpack with his laptop, iPad and phone. Jesse brought the same as me.

“Want some coffee?” Mouse yelled out to us. We all nodded.

“Yes please!” Maxi yelled back. We found a little café and went to place our orders.

“What are you going to get babe?” Jesse asked me.

“Um, some herbal tea and a cookie. I love that combo.” I replied. Jesse shook his head and went to make his order.

“Can I get two herbal teas and two cookies?” he asked. The waitress looked at him weird.

“Sure. That’ll be $7.50.” Jesse handed her the money and then stood aside to wait. I approached him, giving Hoppo my spot.

“Did you just order for the both of us?” I asked. He kissed my cheek lightly.

“Yes, it’s my treat for my beautiful girlfriend.” He answered. I giggled.

When we got our orders, we went and found the terminal and sat down watching enormous planes fly in and out of the country. I plonked myself on the floor with Maxi and Mouse, and lay in between Jesse’s legs, my head resting on his chest. I took a sip of my tea. Yummy.

“So what are we going to even do when we get there?” Mouse asked. I took out the binder with all the plans in it from maxi’s backpack and showed him Day 1.

Day 1. Go to the London based headspace crew to talk to all the kids there for a meeting. Then head out to the London eye with the kids for sightseeing and a day out.” Mouse read out.

“Well who does that?” Maxi asked. I sighed and pointed to the list of names as to who was doing what.

“You, Nic and me. Jesse, Mouse and Hoppo are going to go to headspace as well and do an interview for their website.” I told them.

“Sounds fun.” Jesse added. He drank his tea and fiddled with his phone. I flicked his leg.

Whilst we waited for our plane to be called, we played games and sung songs, much to the disgust of several other people in our terminal. I hummed Wrecking Ball and closed my eyes for a little bit.

Jesse POV

Em fell asleep on my chest. She looks so beautiful when she sleeps. They called our flight ready for boarding. The others all stood up, ready to go. I gently awakened Emilee.

“Babes, wake up.” I whispered. He eyes fluttered open, showing the brilliant green that they’re coloured.

“I’M UP!” She yelled jumping up. I laughed at her, as she went to join everybody else. I kinda wished that it was just her and me, but I knew in the many weeks we’re going to be in the UK, there would be perfect nights to have dates and stuff like that.

I handed the man my ticket and then went to board the plane. Em laced her fingers in mine and we entered the aircraft. A flight attendant directed us to our seats, and Maxi shoved his bag in the overhead compartment. We were all very excited and nervous. I sat in between Em and Maxi and not once had Em let go of my hand.

“Em, are you scared of flying?” I asked. She nodded.

“Just take-off.” She whispered. ‘Then I’m fine.” I gave her a piece of chewy to distract her and it did.

“Maxi, can you pass me the headphones?” She asked. Maxi groaned and picked a pair of headphones that go around your head and not in your ears. She held onto them and my hand and the flight attendant began the safety lecture. My heart was thumping loudly and the plane began to move. It got faster and faster and Em buried her head in my shoulder. I held her hand and kissed her hair.

“Shhh, its ok. It’s ok.” I told her over and over again. The plane was moving so fast everything outside was a blur and then, lift-off. We were in the air, on our way to England. This was really happening. Ever since the announcement Nals made at Kate’s funeral about this, I never thought we would do anything. And we are. The next few weeks are going to be amazing!

Yay! We're finally on our way to England and guess what? This story is officially halfway through! Yay! Next chappie will be posted soon. 

love you xx