Chapter 76: Meet, Intertwine, Separate

Emilee POV

Nicola managed to pry me out of my room, and into the dining room. Mouse, Maxi and Hoppo sat around the table, all avoiding my eye contact. Although I was sad, and heartbroken, and torn apart, I knew that I needed to continue sending out the message that Strong conveys. I knew there were people worse off than me, which is why I pulled myself together.

“So, if you want to leave and go home you can.” I said bluntly. Everybody looked up at me.

“If you don’t want to partake in Strong anymore, I understand.” I said again.

“Why would we do that?” Mouse asked.

“You’re being ridiculous Em.” Maxi told me.

Hoppo didn’t say anything.

“Hoppo?” I whispered. He looked up at me with broken eyes.

“Emilee, my kids need me. I’ve already been gone too long. Plus, Deano is struggling and I am the boss.” He said. I nodded.

“I understand if you have to go.” I replied with an understanding smile. He chuckled.

“Don’t think you’re getting rid of me that quickly. I’m leaving in two days.” He informs us. We all nod.

“So what do we do in the meantime?” Maxi asked.

“We keep telling our story, and visit headspace centres. We continue to raise money for the three weeks we’re here for.” I explain.

“Are you going to be okay Em?” Nicola asks me. I nod.

“Yes. And No.” I replied. Everybody is silent for a moment. I feel all eyes on me when I say no more about my current situation

“Well, what did we have scheduled for today?” Hoppo gets down to business.

I pulled out the folder that Jesse helped me put together. The memory twinged my heart, and I pushed it to the back of my mind.

I flicked through the folder until I found todays date. The task is scribbled in Jesse’s messy handwriting, and again, my heart twangs. I watched him write this, and we were so happy. We loved each other, and had no care in the world. It was Jesse and Emilee verses the world.

Hand around pamphlets for Strong cause.

“All we have to do today is hand around pamphlets today. We’ll see if we can get some people to donate some money and stuff.” I informed everybody.

“Alright. Shall we get started?” Nicola suggested. We all nodded and I handed around the flyers.

“Groups or pairs?” Maxi asked.

“Um, Mouse, myself and Nicola and Maxi and Em.” Hoppo instructed. Maxi took our flyers and then we all left the apartment and walked downstairs to the lobby. Maxi was acting so hostile towards me, and I was panicking. I didn’t want to lose him too.

“Maxi?” I asked. He hadn’t spoken to me since the night Jesse left.

“Yeh?” he asked sighing, but continuing to walk.

“Why are you angry?” I asked. We left the hotel and wandered down the street in the cold, handing out flyers out to citizens and tourists alike. I buried my head into my fluffy scarf and chased after Maxi’s brisk pace.

“I’m not angry Em. More sad for you and Jesse.” He replied.

“No thank you.” A man rejected my flyer I tried to hand him. Maxi stood at a crossing and waited for the walk sign to light up.