Chapter 44

I don't know how long we kiss but when I pull away, we both stand there panting for a few moments. We look into each other's eyes and a beautiful smile spreads across Lexa's face. It makes my breath catch and I can only stare at her in awe.

"Let us talk before we do much more of that." She murmurs.

I nod and we both sit on the ground facing each other since there are no chairs. We are still for a moment, silent. It's not awkward, but it feels like neither of us know what to say.

I sigh, "I'm not sure how to start this."

"Me neither." Lexa says quietly. "Perhaps we should begin by discussing us."

"That works. Uh, do want there to be an us? Romantically?" I ask. Well that was eloquent.

"Very much so, yes. Do you?" Lexa questions, cocking her head to the side slightly.

"Yeah. Hang on. Before anything else, I have to ask. Will this affect your position as Heda? Or put you in danger?"

"The other clans may be more or less accepting of you if you are my... What is the Gonasleng word for it? Female pal?"

I grin, realizing what she's saying. "Girlfriend?"

"Yes, that is the one. It will not affect me much or put me in more danger. If anything, it will make your life more dangerous. People may try to use you to get to me." Lexa's jaw clenches and she avoids my gaze.

"Like Costia." I murmur.

"Yes. But I know it will not be the same as with her. The only war we are fighting is not against another clan, but against the Maunon. And you, Clarke, you are strong. Costia was a blacksmith and only knew basic fighting techniques. You are a truly incredible fighter, and you have only been training for a short time. I have no doubt that someday you may be able to best Indra and Anya, and perhaps me. Unlike with Costia, with you I would not have to worry about your safety. If anything, I would fear for your enemies." Lexa chuckles softly. "And most of all, I do not need to protect you. I will, of course, regardless. You can defend yourself."

We sit quietly for another few minutes, just gazing into each other's eyes. "Lexa... Do you want to do this? Become girlfriends?"

Lexa smiles. "I do, yes. I plan on taking you out for a... Date, I believe the word is, while we are in Polis."

"That sounds wonderful." With that, we both lean in for a short but sweet kiss. "Would you want us to hide our relationship from your people?" I hope not, I hate the thought of having her but not being able to show that I love her.

"No, never. And it will scare the Maunon more than ever. That is a bonus." Lexa laughs. "Just a few months ago you fell from the sky. Now you are the advisor and girlfriend of the Heda."

"When you put it like that it sounds really impressive." I say.

"It is impressive." Lexa

Lexa moves a nearby backpack behind her back and leans on it. She gestures for me to come over and it takes me a second to get what she means. I move over to her, cuddling against her side. Lexa wraps an arm around my shoulder and I let out a content sigh.

"The only thing I'm worried about is if your people will accept me, especially now that we're dating."

"Clarke, our people will love you." Lexa promises, tilting her head so she can kiss my forehead.