Chapter 142

Maya makes her way back over to Lexa and me.

"What have your people decided?" Lexa asks.

"We want to sleep outside tonight, look at the stars. And they liked your idea about scattering the ashes. When would we do that?"

"In the morning. I can have some warriors put their ashes in something to carry around." Lexa suggests. "It will stop the wind from blowing it away as well."

Maya nods. "Sounds good. I'll let them know." She hesitates, not heading back to her people yet.

"Is there something else?" Lexa prompts gently.

Maya lets out a breath. "Yes. I think I know what we're leaning toward doing, and it's fine, but no matter what... I worry about the kids. Most of us are no older than eighteen. Our oldest hasn't hit fifty yet. Our youngest still needs milk. There are so many young ones and so few older ones. I just don't know how we'll take care of them all."

I think for a moment. "Okay, how about this. Kids are smart, they know at the very least that something terrible happened in there. Some of them might be more aware of that than others. You could ask the kids if they want to stay with you guys, or if they want to join a different clan. It's fine if no one does, remember you have the clans at your side. We can send helpers if nothing else."

Maya nods. "Thank you. What was that word you use for it? Much of?"

"Mochof," I say and repeat it slower so she can hear the difference. "But you were pretty close. You're already doing better than I was when I was first learning."

While Maya seems more relaxed, there's still something on her mind. "What would happen to them if they go to different clans?"

I leave this to Lexa to explain, because while I might be kind of knowledgeable, Lexa knows way more about the workings of the clans.

"In all of the clans, children are seen as gifts to the world. When a kid is orphaned, their entire village bands together to take care of them if no one can adopt them. No matter where they go, they will be taken care of." Lexa promises.

Maya purses her lips. "Even kids like Lucas? Clarke's mom confirmed that he has autism."

"Of course, kids like Lucas are cared for just as well, if not differently to suit their wants and needs." Lexa says. "All of the villages have had people like him, have learned how to help him. If he decides to go, he will be welcomed with open arms."

"I don't think he will decide to go, though. He seems to like it here." I remark.

"Yeah, he doesn't like change all that much." Maya says with a soft smile. "Thank you. Um, mochof. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions."

"Of course," Lexa nods to her.

"Oh, the councilors will be here tonight. We'll send them over after we scatter the ashes, before we talk to you all about what you want to happen next. Okay?"

"Okay. Thanks again." Maya says with a semi-lighter smile on her face.

"Pro. That is you're welcome." Lexa responds.

"Mochof and pro. That's so much simpler to say than thank you and you're welcome." Maya remarks.

"It is," Lexa agrees. "And Maya, some warriors will be here with furs soon."

"Furs?" Maya questions.

"Like blankets, but they're animal pelts." I explain.

Maya nods and thanks us again before rejoining her people.

"I could see her becoming their leader," Lexa murmurs.

"Yeah, I can too." I say and we stand there, watching Maya talk to the last Maunon. "They will need to come up with a new name if they want to become a new clan."

Lexa hums. "I think they might want to become a new clan, and stay in their Mountain."

"Yeah, and I don't blame them. But I don't think everyone will stay with them."

Lexa nods. "Ready for bed, hodnes (love)?"

"Gods, yes." I groan. "I've been standing and fighting all day. I could sleep for an entire day."

"I will not let you go to sleep immediately." Lexa blushes when I raise an eyebrow at her. "I did not mean it like that, Clarke, though I would not be opposed. I just meant that I need to check on your shoulder."

"Oh, right. Honestly with everything else going on, I kind of forgot about that." I say.

"I figured you would." Lexa kisses my cheek. "Come, our furs are calling for us."

"They can't call for us, they're dead."

"Hush," Lexa squeezes my hand, amusement dancing in her eyes.

Lexa leads me to the tent nearby that's been set up for us, for which I'm grateful. My legs and feet have finally caught up to how exhausted I am, and I would have fallen a couple of times if not for Lexa. Raven is lounging (as in cuddling, but they'd kill me for even thinking that) nearby with Luna and Anya. Raven gives me a two finger salute and winks as we pass.

I would roll my eyes of I didn't fear I would pass out. A guard opens up the tent's flap for us and Lexa sits me down on one of the chairs just inside the tent. The flaps swish closed as Lexa begins taking off my armor.

"You just want to see me topless." I say sleepily.

"You caught me, niron (loved one)."

Lexa kisses my now bare shoulder, an inch away from where the bandage ends. She goes through the motions of checking my bandage.

"It seems you have not torn it open again, which is a small miracle." Lexa murmurs.

She peels off the bandage and rifles through a chest nearby until she pulls out fresh ones. Lexa rewraps my wound, which doesn't appear to be infected so that's a plus. She takes my hand and guides me to bed. She carefully pulls off my pants and everything until I'm only in my underwear. Lexa does the same for herself.

I would make a joke or tackle her to the bed if I has any energy left to spare. As it is, I barely have the time to cuddle up to Lexa, resting my head on her shoulder and entwining our legs, before I fall asleep.

Oh my god. Okay, so I actually have a plan for Lucas and Destiny if you guys are up for it. Some of you suggested adoption and I've been thinking about it as I wrote this, so if you're up for it... ;) Clarke and Lexa won't adopt both of them; Luna, Anya, and Raven would take in the other. Let me know what you think! Anyway! Next chapter, they scatter the ashes and if we get to it, they'll reveal what the Maunon want to do! Thank you all for reading and for your amazing comments! Stay awesome!