Chapter 73

We get back to TonDC safely, and it's nerve wracking to know I can't do anything to convince the hundred to say yes. Currently, I'm pacing in Lexa's tent and we still have more than a day until our meeting at the bridge. Lexa is sitting on her throne but watching me with concern.

"Clarke, pacing will do no good." Lexa says gently.

"I know." I grumble back but continue walking back and forth.

"You can use this nervous energy and assist Nyko." Lexa suggests.

I stop and sigh. "That's a good idea. I think I'll do that." Lexa stands and walks over to me. "Thanks. We can talk about everything when I get back." I kiss her and then head out.

I work tirelessly for the rest of the day with Nyko, bandaging up scrapes and cuts. Nothing serious comes in luckily, so I end up spending more time reassuring more worried parents than actually being a healer. It's kind of ironic to be calming people down right now. Artigas stays with me the whole time, looking barely worried at all about tomorrow.

A few hours after midday, I can't resist it anymore and ask him. "Why aren't you freaking out like me?"

"I have faith that they will make the right decision. Plus, there is no use worrying." He gives me a surprisingly comforting smile.

I let out a breath of relief when I see that the sun is setting. The beautiful colors of the sunset relaxes me slightly. Tomorrow, we find out what the hundred decided.

I say goodbye to Nyko and head back to Lexa's tent. She's talking to Indra, Luna, and Anya but she pauses and smiles when she sees me.

"Welcome back, Clarke." She says and taps the empty chair next to her. I sit on it and take in the others' expressions. None of them seem to mind. "We were just going over what we are going to do tomorrow. They seem to think that we should have archers in the trees."

"But we agreed to no hidden warriors on both sides." I frown.

Lexa nods, "That is what I said. With us, Anya, Luna, and Artigas there we have more than enough warriors to defend ourselves if necessary."

"Do we really expect the hundred to do what we agreed to?" Indra asks incredulously.

"They don't have long range weapons." I point out.

"They are looking for some." Anya remarks grimly. "Our scouts have heard them talking about how they need 'guns' now that they know we are here. They are calling us Grounders for some reason."

I sigh. Why must they make things worse for themselves? Yeah, they'll need guns eventually but not for us. Idiots. I hope Raven and Octavia can talk some sense into them. And we even told them about the Maunon and what they do to our people.

"Should we be prepared for war?" Luna asks somberly.

"We should always be prepared for war." Lexa responds, then lets out a breath. "We go prepared for anything. But I do not want any of us starting it. If they attack, we defend ourselves. I do not want us to be fighting a war on two sides."

Anya, Indra, and Luna all say "Sha Heda" and bow their heads. I invited Artigas in earlier as soon as I heard Luna's voice. He's going to be with us so I told him to stay close and listen.

"Any other concerns?" Lexa asks. When no one speaks up, she talks again. "Artigas? Do you have any questions?"

The others turn to look at him, evidently having not realized that he's there.

"No," he shakes his head and gives her a polite smile.

"Very well. Go back to your tents and rest. We have a big day ahead of us." Lexa says.

They all leave hesitantly except for Artigas, who just bids me goodnight and goes. Anya and Luna look like they want to continue arguing for more warriors but realize it's a lost cause. Indra fixes Lexa with a look, half disapproving and half impressed.

Lexa relaxes when they leave and stands. "Hello, hodnes (love)."

I get up as well and rest my hands gently on her waist. "Hey."

"How was your day?" She asks.

Her softness is such a contrast to the commanding aura that filled the room just moments ago. Now it's her warmth that fills the air and I can't help thinking about how I love both sides of this woman.

"Stressful and mainly uneventful." I shrug.

"Same here." Lexa says and then sighs. "I am worried Clarke. I do not want to go to war with your people."

"Lex, you're my people." I murmur. Her eyes widen in surprise but it seems like she doesn't mind the nickname. "Of course I don't want us to go to war with the hundred either, but I'm with you."

"I don't want you to go against your people for me." Lexa nearly whispers, not meeting my eyes.

I cup her face, hoping it'll help me get my point across. "Lexa. Again. You are my people. These people, the Grounders as the hundred has been calling them, they are my people. Okay?"

"Okay." Lexa nods, but searches my eyes like she's not entirely certain I'm telling her the truth. I keep eye contact and she nods again after a moment, satisfied.

"Lets not worry about that tonight."

"What do you want to worry about instead?" Lexa asks.

It takes me a moment, then I gasp, delighted. "You! You made a joke!"

Lexa grins and leans in slightly closer. "I did."

"I'm so proud of you!"

"Somehow I have a feeling you are not just talking about the joke."

"I'm not." I don't let her respond, leaning in to kiss her instead.

We both know this won't lead to anything other than maybe a heavy make out session. We're both hesitant to give each other everything we are, like this relationship will change afterwards. Even though we know it won't. Plus neither of us want our first time to be when we're so stressed. It'll undoubtedly be perfect, because with us it couldn't be anything less. But I want to have it be super cheesy and romantic or something. We'll know when it's time.

We lie down together, worked up but simultaneously relaxed and fall asleep easily in each other's arms.

Aww... Hopefully this is good! I have a four day weekend to look forward to, and I'm really tired from everything since it's the end of the quarter. Next chapter, they'll head to the bridge for their (hopefully) peace talk! Thank you all for reading and for your lovely comments! Stay awesome!