Chapter 71

The next morning Lexa and I quietly get dressed and ready for our journey. We eat the food a guard brings us quickly, as though we want to get everything over with as fast as possible.

Lexa and I meet up with Anya, Luna, and Artigas at the stables and get onto our horses after half-hearted greetings. We get onto our horses and leave. As far as I understand, where the hundred landed isn't too far from TonDC but it's still best to go by horse unless you want to walk for awhile.

Anya and Luna lead the way with Lexa and I behind them, side by side. Artigas is a few paces behind us and the other guards are moving silently through the trees around us.

"When we get close to them, we should leave the horses and have Lexa and I go first." I say. Planning ahead keeps me from fretting about what could happen.

"That is dangerous!" Luna protests. "If they are hostile they will attack you first!"

"I'm the daughter of the best doctor they have up there, some people will undoubtably recognize me. That's why I'm going first. And I know Lexa won't want to leave my side." I explain. Luna and Anya don't look impressed by my logic. "Look, it's going to happen whether you like it or not. Us being in the front gives us a better chance of not starting another war."

Luna and Anya frown back at me but nod. They turn back around to focus on the road. Well, it's not really a road. We're weaving through trees heading towards the hundred. It's smart; we haven't wanted them to know we're here so we haven't built a road.

Soon, the sound of birds and animals practically stop. It's eerily silent in the woods.

"Why is it so quiet?" I ask in a whisper. If I speak louder it feels like any enemy for a mile around us would be able to hear us.

"These children hunt like bumbling fools. How they manage to catch anything is a mystery." Anya mutters. "They step on every dry leaf and twig as they move through the forest. They have scared most of the animals away with their noise."

I nod in understanding. Suddenly, Anya and Luna make their horses stop and they get off. Lexa, Artigas, and I follow suit. Anya makes a gesture and one guard comes down from the trees.

"You stay here and guard the horses." She orders. "I would suggest you tie them to trees with a long rope so they do not run away. The ropes will be on the back of Luna and I's horses." The guard nods and gets to work. Anya turns to us. "Lexa, Clarke. Their camp's entrance is that way." She points to the direction we were heading. "Once we get close enough, you will be able to hear where they are."

Lexa takes my hand, making me smile softly at her through the anxiety swirling around in my head. We head toward the camp, with Anya, Luna, and Artigas walk silently behind us and the other guards (minus the horse guard) move through the trees.

Sure enough, the sound of shouting kids and teenagers fill the air. There's crackling by us that makes us all tense up and I just hope it's not one of their guards that's going to shoot us on sight. Luckily, it ends up being a spooked deer that sees us and then runs away.

"Where's the entrance?" I ask as I see a wall ahead of us. They must've built it out of spare parts and wood.

"It is a little to the left of where we are." Anya says. "You will be able to see it soon."

Lexa and I change our direction slightly so we are heading the right way. I squeeze her hand as we get closer and closer. I worry about how they'll receive us, especially since Lexa, Anya, and Luna are wearing their kohl (warpaint). I understand why they're wearing it, I'm just hoping it doesn't get us shot.

We walk slower as we walk on the path that their feet has created by their coming and going through the entrance. The two guards at either side of it see us and are practically paralyzed with fear.

"Bellamy!" One of them yells.

"What?" A man yells back and walks out of their drop ship toward us.

He sees us and his eyes darken. He gestures for some more guards to walk with him.

"Hands off of your swords. We are not trying to start a war." I order quietly, knowing what they're doing without looking.

I glance back and make sure Anya and Luna obey. They do, though they're not happy about it. Lexa squeezes my hand and then we both let go.

"Who the hell are you?" The man who must be Bellamy spits out. He looks like he's too old to be on the drop ship. His guards are now shakily pointing their guns at us. But I've noticed that they have failed to turn off the safety so I'm not worried.

"I'm Clarke Griffin. Who are you?" I ask, taking the lead.

"Clarke Griffin." He snorts. "Yeah right. She's dead. The Council killed her months before they sent us down."

"Wow, that's what they told everyone? I guess the truth was too embarrassing." I shake my head.

"The truth? Why don't you start with that before I blow your brains out?" Bellamy threatens.

"I did. I am Clarke Griffin. My mom, as you might know, is Doctor Abby Griffin. Mom and Raven helped me escape and come down here in and escape pod."

"Reyes?" He asks, squinting then shouts for Raven.

My mouth drops open slightly. She's here? But she's older than eighteen, they would've just floated her if they caught her. So the only explanation is that she snuck onto the drop ship for some reason.

The woman who helped save my life walks out if one of their biggest tents, limping.

"What the heck are you yelling for, Blake? My leg is busted, not my ears!" She shouts back. Raven pauses when she sees me. "Griffin?"

"Hey Raven." I wave and grin as she starts coming towards us faster. Raven wraps me up in a hug and I fight the urge to laugh at the shock on Bellamy's face. "It's good to see you."

Next chapter, more talking with Bellamy and Raven! And I love Raven so much, so she's going to be a main character type person! Someone commented recently asking how old Artigas is. In my mind, he's 15 or 16. Thank you all for reading and for your amazing comments! Stay awesome!