Chapter 101

"Hey Mom."

"Hey sweetie." She greets me with a tired smile.

"Did you get any sleep last night?" I ask worriedly, noticing the dark rings under her eyes.

Mom waves her hand. "I'm fine." I give her an unimpressed look. "I can sleep when I get down on the ground."

"Abby," Raven interjects before I can answer. "The only way you're sleeping when you get down here is if you get knocked out. Face it, you're a workaholic."

"I am," Mom admits. "But I need to be, the people of the Ark need me to be."

"With all due respect Doctor Griffin," Lexa says. "You being sleep deprived helps no one. Your people need you to be rested and focused, not barely awake."

Mom sighs. "Lexa, I told you. You are dating my daughter, call me Abby. And you're right. I will try to have a better sleeping schedule after tonight."

The reminder that my mom might die today makes my heart clench painfully in my chest. As if sending my pain, Lexa squeezes my hand that she is holding. I draw strength from her presence, determined not to beg my mother to choose another station to go on. We Griffin women are stubborn and this is not a decision I will be able to convince my mom to reconsider.

"Clarke, we will start boarding the stations in less than half an hour." Mom says seriously, her voice shaking slightly. "I will have to go pretty soon, make sure everything's going well. But I want you to know I love you, Clarke."

And here come the tears. My eyes fill and my jaw trembles as I try (and fail) to hold them back but no one comments on it. The only indication I get that anyone has noticed is how Lexa's hand tightens around mine and how a few stray tears stream down my Mom's cheeks.

"I know, Mom." I choke out when I gather myself enough to speak. "I love you too."

I hear muffled shouting through the radio and close my eyes, making a few more tears run down my face. Mom must have to go now. Of course she does. I open my eyes, tracing her face and trying to memorize every detail I can. This could be the last time I see her, and the thought makes my heart crack.

Mom's lips twitch up into a sad smile. "I'm coming down to the ground, honey. I'll be there soon. I love you," she repeats before the visual cuts out.

I cover my face with my hand that isn't currently holding Lexa's. I let out a shuddering breath and the tent is silent. Lexa gently rubs her thumb over the back of my hand. She kisses my cheek and I rest my head on her shoulder.

Someone enters the tent hastily, but I can't see who it is because I am turned away from the entrance. I don't want people to see me cry. I get it is a guard, here to give Lexa an update or something. The way their feet hit the ground with no hesitation, their confidence makes them seem like a warrior. But I could be wrong.

Lexa turns her head to face the woman.

"Heda," the woman says in a respectful tone. "The sentries are in position, watching the skies. They have all been briefed and know what they are looking for."

"Good, mochof (thank you). Send extra guards near their positions to watch for Maunon. I want no surprises today." Lexa orders, easily falling into 'Commander mode' even while she's comforting me with her touch and presence. "Prepare the healers and more guards. We will need to move quickly to help the ArkKru when they land. Tell them what they will be doing, make sure they know we will be there to assist them."

"Sha, Heda (yes, Commander). I will get started on that right away."

The sound of the tent's entrance swishing and footsteps retreating away tells me she is gone. I pull myself together, using my unoccupied hand to wipe away the tear tracks. Lexa returns her attention to me, studying me with gentle eyes.

"Lexa?" I ask, my voice shaky. I clear my throat and then it comes out a little stronger. "I want to watch it."

"You would like to watch the Ark fall?" Lexa questions softly and I know she isn't being condescending, but just trying to clarify what I am asking of her.

"Yes," I nod. "Can we find a good vantage point, like the sentries?"

"Of course." Lexa responds.

"Um," Raven says. "Before you rush out, I just want to let you guys know I'm going too. With the healers and the guards to help the ArkKru." Anya and Luna frown at her and she hurries to continue. "You two will be there, ordering people around and keeping things in line," Raven says to her girlfriends. "I'll be there to make sure we don't all blow up. I can help."

"We know you can." Anya says, kissing Raven's forehead. "We just worry. It will not be a pretty sight. People will be injured and it is almost certain that some will be dead. I just want you to know what you are walking into."

Raven gives her girlfriends hard looks. "It sounds like you're trying to scare me away."

"That is not what Anya meant." Luna says in a soothing tone. "You know yourself better than we ever will. We just want you to know you can handle everything you may experience."

Raven nods thoughtfully and cocks her head. "I get that. I can handle it, and I'll have you both by my side if it gets rough."

Anya and Luna let out sounds of agreement and scoot closer to her. Deciding to let them have a private moment, Lexa and I say our hasty goodbyes and leave. We head out of the camp and I am thankful that no one tries to talk to us as we go.

We head to a tall tree and make the climb up the branches until we can see above the forest. I look at the sky where the Ark should be, unable to see it when it is light out. It has been more than half an hour by now since I talked to my mom. It should be coming down at any moment.

Ooh, sort of cliff hanger... I thought I would get to a worse cliff hanger but oh well! Soon, we will find out what happens to the Ark and if Abby survives! Thank you all for reading and for your amazing comments! Stay awesome!