Chapter 129

Lexa and I make our way down the hallways, pausing at every intersection to listen for Maunon guards. We come across a few stragglers here and there, but they're mainly alone. I guess our surprise attack worked, and they're more focused on sending a big group of guards than on patrolling the halls.

But Lexa and I, we're still cautious. We are in our enemy's lair, after all. There's no telling what kind of tricks they have up their sleeve. So instead of heading directly to the control room, we go the long way. The really long way, as in we get close, loop, and go around again. So if anyone's paying attention to our movements, it will seem like we're lost.

Actually, we do get lost once or twice. Luckily, the map we memorized was so detailed that it included the name of everything. So it only takes an oddly named room or two for us to get us back on track.

After the third loop, we exchange a look and nod. It's time to head to the control room. We still use the smaller hallways and change our direction a few times, but our strides are noticeably more confident.

Just when we are about halfway there, we freeze. There's the unmistakable sound of shuffling feet and muffled voices, the trademark noise of a group of people trying to be quiet. I wish I could be hopeful and say it's Lincoln, Octavia, and Raven but I don't recognize the voices. Plus, Lincoln and Octavia can hide the sound of walking much better than that. It can't be Bellamy either; I told him to start Plan Daedalus. It's entirely possible that he could've ignored my orders, but I know he realizes just how important the plan is.

Lexa draws her other sword so she's dual wielding. I keep one sword in one hand and a handgun in the other. Lexa doesn't seem happy with my impromptu plan, but it's the best one we've got. Lexa gives me a frown to silently show her displeasure.

I rest my back against the wall close to the intersection of hallways, clutching my gun tightly. I raise it and peek over, keeping myself as hidden as I possibly can. The Maunon guards are too focused on moving to notice me.

I get off as many shots as I can before they react. I only manage four, but three hit home and lodge in some Maunon guards. I practically leap back behind the wall to avoid the alarmingly high number of bullets coming my way. They break the plaster walls, making dust billow out from where they hit. Someone's yelling, probably someone not happy about the walls.

"-Just get them!" He shouts. It's another man in power, but it's not Cage.

The thundering footsteps coming towards us let me know that this is not going to be an easy or fair fight. It sounds like there are twenty people coming at us. I raise my gun again, cocking it to pop out the last spent casing. I aim it and wait.

I almost laugh aloud when the first few guards head the wrong way before screeching to a stop and turning around. It does, however, give Lexa enough time to throw some of her daggers at them. They all hit their mark, causing five Maunon to drop to the floor with knives in the back of their necks.

I shoot until I run out of bullets and by then, they're too close for me to consider reloading. I quickly reholster it and pull out my other sword. With one last quick glance at Lexa, who's already tearing through the guards with her swords like they're made of butter, I leap into the fray.

I swing when I see openings, carefully making sure I have one sword available to block any oncoming attacks. I don't particularly care what I hit. They're enemies, they dehumanized Lexa and my people. I have little guilt as I fight them. A few times, I get lucky and someone leaves themself wide open for a fatal blow, which I take. Otherwise, I do what damage I can.

The Maunon get desperate when they see Lexa and my fighting skills. Their daggers are cheap, rusty things that aren't meant to go against swords. They're pretty much useless. That becomes even more evident when one of their blades snaps right off the hilt after a particularly hard attack from me. So they resort to a lot of hand-to-sword combat. Which they're not really great at, I have to say. A few times, they've gotten lucky and even once nearly made me drop a sword. But it's mainly ineffective, with them getting more cuts and bruises. They also tire themselves out rather quickly, obviously not used to such a rigorous workout.

In other words, winning is a piece of cake. With Lexa by my side, they're all dead or on the floor, injured and groaning within ten minutes. Lexa gives me a proud smile and steps over a couple hurt Maunon in order to get to me.

"Are you alright, hodnes (love)?" She murmurs, carefully scanning me with her eyes as she gently rests her hands on my hope.

"I'm okay," I respond. "Just some scrapes and bruises, nothing serious."

"And your shoulder?" Lexa prompts.

"It doesn't exactly feel great, but it doesn't feel like it reopened. Now come on, we have friends to go find." I say before she can worry more.

"One thing first." Lexa says seriously, reaching out to grasp my wrist as I'm about to turn and start walking.

I pause and give her an inquiring look. "What is it?"

Instead of answering, Lexa leans in to kiss me softly. I melt in her arms, feeling safe despite being in this hellish place. We part with smiles on our faces, gazing at each other. We only tune back into the world when some wounded person lets out a particularly loud groan of pain.

Next chapter, they head to the control room! And we still have some fun things planned, especially with Plan Daedalus and Cage being alive... ;) Thank you all for reading and for your amazing comments! Stay awesome!