14

I wake up to my cellphone buzzing off the charts

  I wake up to my cellphone buzzing off the charts. My eyebrows knot as I look at the brightly lit screen in the dark room.

I glance over to find Calvin fast asleep by my side. His arm is draped over my body, as if he's trying to protect me from my nightmares. I reach for my phone and answer the unknown number.

"Hello?" I croak tiredly. The last thing I want to do is wake Calvin's beast. It seems as though his cruelty gets worse after midnight.

"Ah, luna. I'm glad you answered." A eerie voice calls into the phone. I knot my eyebrows.

"Who is this?" I ask, suddenly more awake. I have no idea who could be on the other end of the line.

There's a eerie laugh. "I'm an very old friend of Calvin's. But, there is no need for an introduction. I need you to send a message to my dear old friend." I take in a deep breath and knot my eyebrows.

"A message?" I repeat. I don't understand, why can't this person say it themselves.

"Yes, my sweet adolescent. A message. Tell Calvin that it's time he puts his beast to the test. I'm waiting for him." Then, the line goes dead. I take a sharp breath and hold it in.

"Hello?" I call, hoping the person is still there. Nothing.

I stare down at my phone and go completely blank. Is this a threat? A prank call?

"Baby?" Calvin mutters, pulling my body against his chest. I meet his eyes and he looks concerned, "what's wrong?"

"It's-" I sigh. "Nothing, I just couldn't sleep." I lock my phone and sit it back on the nightstand where I had it. The phone call has woken me up to a point where I won't be able to go back to sleep for awhile.

I decide to not tell Calvin at this point. Maybe it was just a prank call. If it happens again, I'll be sure to tell him.

"You're not hurting, are you?" He asks, sitting up and cupping my cheeks. I look into his eyes and shake my head against it.

"No, I'm fine. You don't have to worry." I guess. My eyes fall to his chest and I inhale deeply. His scent is strong and it lingers inside of my lungs until I exhale.

"Something's wrong, Gray." He says gently, but doesn't push me into telling him what is bothering me. Leaving it be is probably best on him. I have a tendency to argue back.

He presses a kiss to my forehead and inhales my scent. I can't help but notice how the hairs on his arms stand up when he does so.

"You smell great, babydoll. If you start hurting tell me, alright?" I nod my head. Apparently he can smell my heat before it really even begins to bother me. I shift lightly and give him a quick kiss on the lips before lying back in bed and rolling onto my side. Please let this just be a prank call.

I wake up to the sunlight shining in my eyes

I wake up to the sunlight shining in my eyes. I hadn't gotten much sleep last night after I had received the mysterious phone call.

I cuddle closer to Calvin and let out a sigh. What I had thought to be Calvin is just a large pillow covered in a black pillow case. I frown. Where has he snuck off to?

I sit there for a moment. This could be a replay of what happened last time I left the room to look for him. What if he's lost control again?

I crawl out of bed in a desperate attempt to reach the toilet before my bladder explodes. Luckily, I make it. After I'm finished with my business, I can't help but notice that there's a note taped to the mirror.

Gray- I figured you would find my note in the bathroom. It's where you always go, at least, first thing when you wake up. I had to leave to check up on the school. I won't be gone too long, but Braxton is there to keep you company. He isn't allowed inside of our bedroom, so don't let him go in there. Tell him if you need anything. See you later-
   Calvin.

Formal. Calvin's handwriting is extremely neat, and very unique. I try to think into why he had to leave so early. Technically he is the principle.

I blow out a slow breath and walk out of the bedroom as quietly as possible. Braxton isn't a well known character to me, and I'm not familiar with how his personality is quite yet- which makes me sort of scared of him.

I silently begin to think of the ending of Calvin's note. See you later. It's not like I expected it to say I love you or anything, but see you later? That sounds like a friend type of thing. I don't know when the love you's will start, or who's even going to say it first.

Given, we've only been together for a few weeks now, but still. Eventually it's going to come up. I want Calvin to tell me when he's ready.

"Thank god you're awake!" I hear a male voice exclaim. I snap my head in the direction and back up slightly. What I great 'first impression.' "I was afraid you might have been dead but I was also afraid to go check on you because Calvin threatened me with my life-" he blows out a exaggerated breath.

"My apologies, luna." He drops his head at the confused look I give him. There's no need for that? "I'm Braxton." He holds out and hand and I shake it. A wide smile grows on his face.

"Just call me Gray," I grin. "It's nice to meet you." He seems to be a genuinely friendly guy. It seems as though we are  going to be the best of friends.

My eyes silently travel behind him and to the living room. My mouth slightly gapes open at what I see before my eyes. "What'd you do to his house?" I croak, looking at the mess.

Brax silently rubs the back of his neck. "I uh- long story short, I dropped the pickle jar, and I was watching a movie and it made me mad so I flung my popcorn everywhere on accident-"

He looks at me with an apologetic look. "I'm so sorry luna I didn't mean-" he starts to apologize for what he's created but I shake my head.

"No, no. Don't apologize to me." I grin, "lets clean up before Calvin gets back, yeah? He'll have our heads."

"Yes ma'am." He nods, quickly scudding off into the laundry room where the cleaning supplies are left.