24: cold awakening

I lay in bed, staring at the ceiling. Even after a week of being away from him; he's still all that's on my brain. Does he miss me like I miss him? Maybe. I like to imagine that he does. However, in the back of my mind I know he's too busy with his work to even think anything about me- or anyone for that matter. A week of sleeping alone, and it still feels strange. I should be used to it by now. I mean, that's how it was when I was growing up. Those short few weeks I was actually with Cal have changed my entire world.

I'm not used to being alone or by myself. I'm not used to clutching a pillow to sleep rather than a warm body, or wake up alone every morning.
I shut my eyes and roll onto my side. Maybe I should just call him. No. I mentally scold myself. I'm the one that told him to figure it out. Not the other way around.

Somehow, I blame myself for this. Yet- deep down I know Calvin did this to himself. He needs to choose what he wants now. I'm tired of the pain of the heat when I'm around him, but I'm also tired of not being around him.  I curl into a ball and exhale slowly. If he doesn't call in the next few days, I'll call him. I assure myself, and that's all it takes for me to fall asleep.

 I wake up to a coolness being pressed against my forehead

I wake up to a coolness being pressed against my forehead. Slowly, I open my eyes and look into the dark bedroom.

"Cal?" I ask, tiredly lifting my head from my pillow. I must be dreaming. He is standing on the side of my bed, leaning over me.  Slowly, he carefully climbs into bed beside me and pulls me against his chest. "Go back to sleep, baby doll." He sighs out.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, cupping his cheeks and propping myself up on my elbows. Cal's fingers run over my shoulder and he sighs. "I missed you." I can hear the pain in his voice, and my heart aches to fix that.

I slowly bring my lips to his, and inhale deeply when I feel the sparks ignite inside of my body. I missed him. So much. Cal's hands draw me closer as they attach to my hips. I pull myself away from him and rest my head in the crook of his neck.

The ache I've felt since the moment I had left has finally dissolved. It wasn't the ache one gets when you lose something you've had. It felt like I lost my entire being. As if my entire soul had gone missing and I'd never be able to find it again.
Calvin is one of a kind, especially to me. The past few days without him had felt like centuries. I cannot even begin to imagine how it had felt for him not to have his mate as long as he did.

Lying beside him puts me at ease, because I know exactly where he is and just how safe he is. Being in his arms is something I would have never dreamed about doing with the king, but it's my reality. I can't be any more in love with the idea. Every time I look at him- I see my future. Our future. It thrills me, because I'm going to be able to spend the rest of life with him.

"Why didn't you call?" I ask quietly. Suddenly all my happy thoughts are faded with the one fact that's been eating me alive since I left. He didn't call. He didn't try to get ahold of me- other than the good night text. It breaks me apart inside, knowing that he didn't do that.