the baby: part 2 (added 12/13)

When we arrive at the hospital, I don't feel as excited as I was when we had left the house

When we arrive at the hospital, I don't feel as excited as I was when we had left the house. Cal's point of view on his world made me sort of...numb.

Sometimes I dream of what it will be like to be a grandma, and what I'd look like when I age. Cal has never experienced anything like that. It's sad to think about. All he's wanted was what's best for everyone else- putting himself last each and ever time.

The sting from his words still resides in my nerves as they keep playing on repeat inside of my head. I had been pressuring him, but he didn't have to blow up on me. I can't blame him, but- I'm appalled by the way he had acted on it. How was I supposed to react to that?

The entire car ride here, I played solitaire and picked at my pants. I didn't come prepared to be lectured at four in the morning.

My mind weighs heavy as the idea of everything sinks in. Finally, the eight words I've been holding in the past few hours falls out. I need to know the answer.

I stare at the car parked just in front of ours and don't even make eye contact with Calvin. "Are we ever going to be something?"

I don't know for sure what Calvin is thinking. I do know that what he had said earlier hadn't left his mind either. I'm giving myself the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully I'm not the only one brought down by the sudden fit.

Cal opens his mouth to say something but shuts it and let's out a heavy sigh. "We'll talk about it tonight, Gray." He says simply.

I frown, disappointed at his answer and watch him climb out of the car. I sigh, knowing now I'm going to have a hard time catching a angry wolf on the loose. I unbuckle my seatbelt and before I can open my door Calvin beats me to it.

It's strange. He usually doesn't do this. At least, not in public. He said 'I can't let anyone getting suspicious of you Gray. There are people that don't like me, and I don't want you to get caught up in the middle of it.' So, this is a first.

"Promise?" I ask, climbing out of the car. I don't care how upset I am. I get to meet my baby brother! I hold out my pinky and Cal's latches his to mine.

"Promise." He agrees, bringing my knuckle to his lips and leaving a gentle kiss against my skin.

I shiver at the feather-like touch he leaves, but I don't say anything. Instead, I send a text to Ren and we make our way up to the hospital room.

The third floor is where they leave the babies and their mothers. The hallway is quiet, and cal coughs. I turn back and glare at him.

"What?" He knots his eyebrows. I pause momentarily to look at the room number then continue.

"Be quiet." I whisper yell. "You're going to wake up the babies." I scold him and poke a finger into his bicep. Cal only rolls his eyes and chuckles softly.

"What's so funny?" I frown, crossing my arms over my chest. Calvin pulls me against him as we continue to walk.

"Nothing. You're just acting like a mom." He kisses my temple briefly and we continue. I don't really acknowledge his kisses. I'm still pissed at him and his sweet act isn't going to make me forgive him. We need to sit down and talk about it. I mostly want to know why he didn't just tell me in the first place.

"You're acting like a sex-drived teenager." I mumble, tugging his arms from my stomach and half smiling. "I don't want my parents seeing that stuff. It's weird." I scold.

Calvin rolls his eyes and we continue to walk, rounding the corner and finally we find the room. The door is cracked open and I frown.

"I don't know if they're in there.." I point out when I notice the little window is covered and the crack isn't big enough to look through.

Cal wraps his arms around me from behind and runs his nose over my neck, inhaling deeply. "This is the room, Baby." He chuckles. "You and your mom smell so much alike."

He releases me and knocks lightly before pushing the door open for me to walk in. I step in as if there's glass on the ground.

Ren is sitting in a small comfortable looking chair. He lifts his head and smiles widely. "Hey!" He says is a quiet voice.

I glance over at my mom who is currently in bed, asleep. I smile weakly at her because he looks completely exhausted. I heard baring a werewolf baby is rough.

The baby whines and my head snaps to my little brother hooked up to a monitor to make sure everything's running smoothly. A wide smile grows on my face and I can't help but cover my mouth.

"Congratulations." Cal says softly, giving Ren a man-hug. My eyes are caught on the tiny being before me. I want so desperately to hold him but I'm afraid to. I don't want him to start crying.

"Have you and mom finally decided on his name yet?" I ask, knotting my eyebrows. Ren and my mom had been stuck between two names and never really decided the last time I've spoken to them.

Ren looks down at the little boy, wrapped and sleeping and smiles. "Liam." He grins, looking more than proud of the little boy. I can already see the resemblance they share.

"Cute! I love it." I grin. "He looks so much like you it's ridiculous!" I turn to the two men, who I notice don't seem to have a very gentle gaze at each other.

Ren grins at me. "I think he looks like your mom." He half laughs. "I apologize that your mom isn't awake, all she's been talking about is Liam and you." He grins.

"About what?"

"You and Liam have the same eye color and she was getting emotional because you're not a baby anymore." He smiles, stretching his arms out.

"I'm still her baby." I say with a wide grin. "She knows that. It's probably just her hormones." I add with a little laugh.

Ren and I spend a few hours talking about random things, and occasionally Calvin would add a few words. Most of the time though, I would catch him looking at Liam with a glint in his eyes. I can't explain what it was I saw but there was something. When my mom woke up, Calvin's mood seemed to brighten and our conversations got interesting.