♚ | SETTLE DOWN | ♚

"Without tenderness, a man is uninteresting."

- Marlene Dietrich

♚♚♚

Who knew poker could be so exciting?

The kiss was nice. It was a violent delight. We didn't speak of it, but we felt it. I knew and he knew. Thinking back to last night, I tried to distract myself from the flare of emotions that stirred, so I looked to more habitual affairs. My birthday was tommorow and to tell you the truth, I've never been a fan of aging.

My mother had called. She asked me about my current affairs. She wanted to know if I could meet her for my birthday lunch. It appeared as though she was devastingly overscheduled tommorow, so today would have to do. She told me to meet her at this West End London café for drinks and a birthday luncheon. After the call, I hung the phone in its place and whizzed off to change.

The taximan met me at the door and helped me step out of the vehicle. I tipped him and he gave me a nod and and smile. A kind doorman opened the door at my arrival and I thanked him waltzing through. Before I could even glimpse around, I heard my name spoken by a voice belonging to a woman I knew so well.

My mother greeted me and I kissed her on both her cheeks,"Oh, Baby Doll," She mumured, holding me at arms length, she took a long look at me.

"You look terribly thin, darling, you know, you mustn't starve yourself." She said, concerned. My mother was wonderfully buxom. But it was the kind of form that shaped her to be thin. It was unusual for her to

point this out, since we shared

the same female form.

It was quite beautiful.

"Well, mother, I haven't heard any complaints,"

"Very well, but I expect you to take care of your body at most. It's a terrible thing to know that there are girls that don't know what to do with what they were born with."

"Your god given beauty should be prized," She praised. Her thoughts on beauty and health were compellingly strict.

"Come on, doll, I've got so much to tell you." She proceeded, leading me to our reserved table.

She told me about business. And the theater. And I told her about my work at the cabaret and my openings. She asked if I was an exotic dancer or striptease girl.

This made me laugh. My mother was always one to be mistakingly wrong. But, when I mentioned Mr. Magnotta, all those ideas seemed to have left her.

"Anthony Magnotta?"

"The very same."

"Oh, he's a very illustrious man!" She exclaimed, approvingly.

"Quite the magnifico."

"Well, you should have told me sooner that you were in business with Mr. Magnotta, it would have saved me from a lot of worry."

I pursed my lips. My mother began to look at my quizzically.

"Don't be a fool, Baby Doll! I know there's a man! You've done a spectacular job of keeping to yourself, it's very unusual behaviour for

you."

"I've always kept to myself."

"Doll..." My mother pushed.

"Well, it's only a fleeting flirtation for now."

"Nonetheless, a flirtation! Who is he?"

It was too late. She had defeated me. My heart had cracked.