♚ | VICIOUS VIXEN | ♚

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."

- Mae West

♚♚♚

Often people search for things that could possibly symbolize their growth. Growth in mind, physicality or life. And on this day, I sadly report of finding none of these qualities. I do not feel grown or different. Yet, I am not the same. I fail to see a difference within me.

It was a lovely morning, the same sun rised, the sky shimmered in all its blueness and I was still Baby Doll. I ran myself a bath, the first of many gifts I would give myself today. The bath water was both soothing and searing. You could imagine my despair, only to be comfortably settled, to hear the phone ring. This constant ringing urgency begged to be heard. And until so, it would not silence. I grabbed my discarded robe and stepped out of the water.

"Happy Birthday, darling! I wish for you only marvelous things on this singularly lovely day!"

"Thank you dearest mother, that was beautiful." I was very moved. I puckered my lips and gave a kiss,"Thank you, thank you Carla!"

"Let's speak soon, shall we?"

"Yes, of course!"

"Alright, goodbye, darling."

Before I could calmly hook the phone and return to my awaiting gift, there had been a second shrill. This time it came from the doorbell.There stood a mail man, and his intial bored and drowned expression, transformed once he seemed awoken by the red of my satin robe.
It was like seeing a fire light in his eyes.

"Hello, Miss." He took of his cap and nodded to me.

"I have a package to deliver for you."

"Oh, wonderful!"

It was a great rectangular box. One which the man seemed to have struggled to hold. I insisted he set it inside the flat, which he did. I finished signing the delivery papers, and he lifted his cap to me in appreciation.

"Goodbye now," He took moment to look at my signature,"Ah! Miss Baby Doll! Are you her? The beautiful dancer?"

I laughed softly,"Yessiree, that's me!"

"What a pleasure. Well, off I go then." He tipped his cap again.

"Goodbye! Have a lovely day, sir!"

I hurriedly shut the door, unable to deny my curiousity any longer. I perched down on my knees, tucking my robe underneath my backside to open this gift of all gifts. Once I teared the delivery cardboard off the package, I found lovely pink paper in which a box was wrapped. I hastily pulled apart the pinkness for the white exterior to appear. Lifting the lid from the box, my eyes were met with an Elie Saab black gown with a sweetheart cut and sash sequins, it was long and lovely with its open front down the legs and just upon glancing at it, I knew I adored it. And I wondered: Who could have given me such a lovely gift?
Hoisting the dress, I moved it to my bedroom to hang it in the dresser. And when I returned to tuck away the gown's box, I had found a small card that hid beneath the contents of the pretty tissue paper.
It read:"For Baby Doll, my singing and dancing daughter. Happy Birthday, sweetheart and for you a sweetheart gown. - Mama Carla."

Oh, Carla! And to think she had carefully planned a phone call and delivery at the perfect time. The morning felt brighter than ever. I adored my gown and adored what this day awaited.

♚♚♚

There was something wildly compelling about the unexpected. When I arrived at the Gentlemen's, it's state was odd. The front of the club was bare. No crowd and no Barrie. The streets were naked.
This strangeness rolled on, when decided to enter the club. But, I was relieved to find Caroline.