Chapter Three-Lunch Break

"So," Victoria began once we had both sat down in our room, I was on my bed, she was on hers. Clearly, she wanted to keep her distance from the roommate she wished was not her roommate. 

"So," I said, and waited for her to continue. 

"Listen, who's that red-haired girl? She's..."

"Fox? I met her today in class, she seems quite-"

"Yes, her... Oh dear,"

"What?"

Victoria looked down at her hands and frowned, I waited through the momentary silent treatment again. She looked up to me and smiled slightly, "Nevermind, um, I hope you're not bothered by me leaving you alone for lunch...of course you're not. Anyway, I suppose I am going to go and eat with those guys you saw me with earlier. Please, when we're in class I don't want to be reminded of your existence,"

She looked my direction, and although I wanted to remind her of this I held back, no point fighting the fire with more fire. Maybe I could take a walk around campus seeing as I wasn't feeling too hungry anyway. 

"Goodbye," She said as she opened the door, her bracelets made a jangle noise as they fell down her arm, then she closed the door behind her. I promptly collapsed on my bed, letting out a slight groan. She's nice one minute, and then straight up high-school movie style mean girl the next. I didn't think I would ever truly understand her. Maybe she just hated me. Maybe that was something that could never change. I knew there was no point being solemn over this though, what was the point? I got up and grabbed my bag with the hopes of finding somewhere quiet to eat lunch in my mind and set out on my journey. 

Then as soon as I left the dorm I was greeted by a familiar face. "Kate, I was just coming over here to see if you wanted to spend lunch with me, also, Victoria, I remember her now... Unfortunately she does too... nevermind, let's go," Fox nodded her head for me to follow her and I went and sat with her, her group was made up of one girl with dark hair and maroon highlights and three guys. "This is Margo, my best friend. These dudes are Jacob, Zack and Liam,"

"Hi," I spoke, my voice sounded like a mouse, how incredibly stupid that was, but they didn't seem to notice. Thank God. I sat back against the building we were sat next to and took out a sandwich. "Hey, Kate," Margo spoke, her eyes held the utmost kindness, yet she was also physically intimidating with her perfectly done makeup and fashion sense that was strikingly different compared to my simplistic clothes. "I heard you're an art student, me too, I'm in my second year here though so I'm not in your class but... cool," she smirked. A strand of dark bob fell down over one of her eyes and she lifted it to tuck it behing her ear. The guys didn't really talk to me too much, and mostly chattered amongst themselves. "Don't mind them, this is how it usually is," Margo said once she had noticed me observing them. "They hang out with us on Thursdays and Fridays due to our free... resources, and because the pitch isn't open," I nodded. 

"Heh, true, don't mind them," Fox spoke after a while. 

"It's good that Fox has finally met someone here as seemingly innocent as she is, she won't drink or smoke with me," Margo commented on her best friend, her eyes fell on her.

"I did," Fox stated quickly.

"It was one time so it barely counts, do you ever smoke, Kate?"

"No actually I-"I reached towards my cross necklace as my thoughts drifted. 

"You're religious?" Margo asked. 

"A little," I stated and let the necklace fall against my chest. 

"Ha, 'a little' you're cute Kate,"

Was she flirting with me? Probably not...

"Also, I should probably mention that we..they don't tend to do stuff like that, really," Fox cut in. Then my thoughts turned to what she had said earlier. Victoria and her knew each other? Victoria didn't seem to like Fox very much, but then, not really surprising. At high-school she would barely ever speak to anyone outside of her clique...well, unless they were in her way or had decent gossip, that was.

"Speak for yourself," Margo took a swig of water. She stood up, "I have class, have fun you... five," She raised an eyebrow at the boys when they almost threw the football, that they had been passing from person to person for a while now, at her. Margo dusted off her black jeans and adjusted her black shirt on her shoulders. I noticed she was wearing a Nirvana shirt, I loved that band. She smiled at me once she realised I was looking at it, as if to say another one.  "Bye babe, bye Kate, nice to meet you,"

I laughed lightly "Babe," I said, with a questioning tone, Fox rolled her eyes. 

"Yep, she's a constant flirt, still thinks that one way or another she can turn all the girls gay,"

"What about you?" I could have startled myself with how out-there my question was.

"Huh?" Fox's eyes lit up playfully. 

"Are you... gay?" How could I just straight up ask her that? Oh the irony. 

"Hmm, no, what about you?" Fox bit her lip slightly, whether or not it was intentional, she looked pretty good doing it.

I needed to hush up my thoughts.

Yes you are my mind shouted at me... if minds could actually shout. I looked at the ground laughing nervously, though I had hoped it hadn't come accross that way and shook my head, I would have easily enough have told Fox, but if it got out and Victoria somehow knew... then god save me. 

"Well, too bad, Kate," Fox smirked at me, I gave her a confused look "I never said I was straight, did I?" Well, that was also true. "Anyways, I'm not needed here anymore and neither are you," That probably came out more ominous than she intended it to, she stood up and dusted off her trousers in a similar way to how Margo had done, then she lifted the grey beanie I had literally just noticed she was holding up to put it on her head, "Come on Kate, let's go get drunk. I'm kidding, unless you're into that," Fox smiled, it was a mystery why Victoria seemed so displeased to find out I had met her earlier, as Fox seemed too nice.

"Oh man," Liam broke out into a grin, "You beauts are leaving?" 

"Sorry dudes," she mocked his tone and grabbed my arm, "Peace," she laughed lightly, and guided me away from the group of guys who seemed not too happy about our sudden departure.