Chapter Five- Shadows in Moonlight

I remained awake for probably a few too many hours after the Nether- roommate left to go smoke, I did have a tendency to overthink things over and over in my head, instead of falling asleep. 

Victoria still hadn't returned so I guessed she meant what she said when she told me "I'll see you in six hours," My phone buzzed. Strange. I barely ever got texts, well, not from anyone besides the main people, I realised I should probably get my University friends numbers at some point, in case I needed to call them, and yes, that included my roommate, you never know when there could be an emergency. The text was from my mother of course, I had a fairly over-protective household and now that I was living at University, away from home, it only made sense for them to be regularly keeping checks on me. There were three rules that were made pretty clear in my house- "Stay out of trouble", "Don't smoke", "Don't get pregnant" The usual... luckily there were no fears on the last one, sorry parents. 

I couldn't deal with that overprotective life right now, so I switched my phone off and put it on the side of the dorm room that Victoria had made very clear was mine, just like hers was hers, and we were not to cross that invisible boundary no matter what. I placed the phone on the little cabinet and decided I would try, again, to get to sleep. I left the light on, being somewhat thoughtful of Victoria's return and snuggled up under the covers. 

No use, I thought. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep, my mind was too overactive, especially at night. I got out of bed and put on my hoodie and black plimsoles. Fashion forward, Kate. I left the light on before leaving the dorm room, probably not so good for my environmental footprint, but I didn't want any burglaries to happen when I was out. 

Upon leaving the "dorm room of terror", I grabbed onto the sides of my hoodie and pulled them together, it was chilly out. Not too bad, but noticeable, I wasn't really sure where I was going to go but it was light enough out that I wouldn't be sumerged into the darkness of late night time.

There were a few people out on campus, some I could assume had just finished class, couples were hugging under the stars, other people were partaking in various other activities. I noticed Margo not too far away, most likely walking back to her dorm room, I would have said "Hi" had she noticed me, but that didn't happen, so I continued to walk. After a while I saw the familiar figure of Victoria standing under a light, smoking away and looking off into the distance. I would have almost fone as far as to say it looked romantic, but the words Victoria and romantic? Nope. Not even. 

I continued to walk in her general direction, not sure whether to approach her to talk or walk straight past, I went with the latter option, but once I was within range of her she spoke up "Well," she started, she wasn't looking at me directly however that fact didn't stop my heart from panicking, giving a small lurch within my chest "Going to stop and talk?" 

No no no, spoke my mind but my voice had other ideas,  "Victoria," I gave a small smile trying to seem some kind of friendly and walked towards where she was standing. 

"Hmm, I can't say I'm surprised for you to come out here at night. You do seem to be insistent on gracing me with your...well...that," she just gestured me generally before bringing her attention back to her cigarette, which she moved in between her silver-nail-polished fingers "I couldn't sleep so I decided I would walk," I rubbed at my eyes that stung although I couldn't get to sleep it didn't mean I wasn't kind of tired. "Well, I wonder about that," replied Victoria. 

I shrugged "There's nothing to wonder about Victoria, because that's the truth," 

"I believe you," she smirked, she moved forward slightly to adjust her jumper and then leaned back against the light before she continued to speak "But I was wondering if maybe that was an excuse, or that you just wanted to see me,"

Jeez, Victoria. Don't get ahead of yourself much. "No, airhead," I laughed lightly. Victoria mock gasped "Offended," she let out another smoky breath before putting out her cigarette and chucking it into a nearby trash can, her aim was good. "Boredom strikes," she told me, and leaned against the light once more. 

"I don't see how smoking can generate any amusement," I told her. Victoria's eyes widened slightly and she looked down at her nails for a brief moment before looking back up to me"It's something to do," she stated, I nodded. We stayed standing there letting the silence consume our surroundings. I smiled at the sound of cicadas. Peace. I wondered how long that would last, well, apparently up until Victoria broke the silence again. "Come on, Greene, let's return to our dorm,"

"Sure, Victoria," I replied. She sped away on her quick feet again, with me struggling to keep up in my slightly too long pyjama trousers. We made it back, and she opened the door and sat down on her bed, "Let me know if you can't sleep or something, maybe I'll let you drink with me," she smiled but didn't meet my eyes. That was oddly...nice of her to ask? 

But luckily enough I didn't have to live through the bitterness that is beer, because she fell asleep before me, leaving me alone again. I decided that the sleep deprivation maybe wouldn't be too bad, it would give me an excuse to be an unsociable being the next day, plus I didn't have a class. However it would kind of suck if I couldn't hang out with my new found friends in Fox and Margo. I heard a sound from the other side of the room, so I sat up in my bed and turned in the direction that it came from, I couldn't see Victoria obviously, as the light was off.  "Victoria?" I called out to get her attention "Are you-" she cut me off, "I'm fine, it was a nightmare, go to sleep Greene," I had a bad feeling that the insomnia I faced was going to be a pretty big prevention for that to happen.

"Night Victoria," I replied and laid back down, it wasn't too long before I finally managed to get some sleep.