[12] Tacenda Part 2: Our First, Unspoken Words

"Mum?"

Julia faintly smiles and hands her a cup. Paige takes it and drinks the suspicious beverage.

"What happened?"

"Seth sent us a bird message stating that you were ready for initiation and that you and him were done."

"That's why he spent so much time outside the cave. Wait, were you responsible for my fall?"

"Yes. Yes, I was. I sent back an oil I used to use when I was a sorceress. The oil contained Temporary paralysis. He must have transmitted it through... How'd he do it?

Paige looks at her hands.

"He held my hands for the longest time."

She then shakes her head in disbelief.

"His act was not a form of betrayal."

"Mum, have you gone mad? You've lost it, haven't you? What he did is unforgivable! He abandoned me! He sold out."

"No. He gave you a choice. He sacrificed his love for you so you could become Mort--"

"Don't! Don't say it! I'm Saraya not that bloody freak you're trying to pin me as."

"Initiation is tonight, at nightfall. You have a few hours to yourself then I'll meet with you to prep you for it."

"Why's initiation so goddamn important?"

"Initiation gives you full access to your powers and better control of them. You also have a source of power when you're initiated. Why don't you want to be initiated?"

"I don't know."

Paige lied. She knew exactly why she didn't want to be initiated. Initiation would kill off any chance of Seth returning, she couldn't risk it.

"I was never initiated. I chose your father over my powers. Did you know when I had you my powers officially vanished? I thought they were gone forever until I realized I transferred it to you. Only the females in our family are allowed to have these powers. If you don't get initiated,  the powers vanish from our family."

"I don't understand why I can't mate but I need to transfer my powers to the next generation."

"You've mated before?"

Paige avoids eye contact with her mother and tries her best not to laugh or give out an obvious answer.

"Saraya, listen. You're allowed to mate one year upon death unless you're not initiated. This act of mating is to produce a child that will carry on your powers."

"What if my child is male?"

"It means you failed as a sorceress."

"Failed? Explain."

"You used your power for the wrong reasons."

"What if--"

"NO MORE QUESTIONS, Saraya! I'll see you tonight."

Julia storms out. Her face was as red as her hair. Paige looks her hair. It was slowly changing. She spots a luminous, bluish tint. Nightflame. She holds back her tears.

What if he never comes back? What if he's forgotten about me? Why can't I trust anyone? Why am I like this? Why isn't he here?

Flashback:

"I don't have any shower water!"

The maidens stop working and look at Vickie, who always has something to complain about.