Chapter 16

Pete's POV

I heard the cabin door open and looked up from the newspaper I was attempting to read.

"Hey. How was your "date" with Andy?" I asked looking over at (Y/N). She fiddled with her fingers nervously and sat on the bed next to me.

"I kissed him tonight...but I don't think I was any good." (Y/N) confessed softly, her cheeks burning.

"K-kissing?" I stuttered in surprise.

*Flashback*

10 year old me walked down the streets looking for my next meal of the day. After not eating for three days, I figured now was as good a time as any to eat. As I was about to turn down the streets. I heard rustling coming from down the nearby alley. My curiosity peaked, making me look.

It was just a girl.

She was sifting through garbage, looking for anything to eat, I assumed.

"Hey, you okay?" I asked. The girl looked up, dirt coating her face.

"Who are you?" She demanded narrowing her eyes. This girl couldn't be older than 9, maybe 8.

"M-My name is Pete. I'm an orphan." I replied. Her face got visibly softer.

"I'm (Y/N) and I'm an orphan too." (Y/N) said quietly. I gave a small smile and took a few steps towards her. She didn't move.

"I'm looking for food right now. You wanna come with me and whatever we find, we split it?" I offered. (Y/N) smiled back and walked to me.

"Alright Pete. Let's go." She said, taking my hand in hers. That little girl with more bravery than I had in my pinky.

*End of Flashback*

"Pete is everything okay?" (Y/N) asked in concern.

"Yeah. But wow! Kissing boys now." I nervously chuckled.

"Yeah...I guess I am." I placed a hand on her shoulder as I tried to think of something to say.

What would a big brother say?

"I think...I think Andy is good for you and you're good for him. Take this relationship you have with him and run with it. And if this was your first kiss, it's bound to be sloppy, but you'll get better." I told her, hoping I didn't say anything wrong. (Y/N) smiled and threw her arms around me.

"Thank you Pete." She giggled happily. She pulled out of the hug, yet I was still seeing the little orphan girl who was searching for food in the trash.

Where did the time go?

"Pete, where's Joe and Patrick?" (Y/N) asked, pulling me from my thoughts.

"I-I don't know." I stuttered, my eyes growing wide at the realization.