Chapter 30

Andy's POV

The lifeboat was found by the Carpathia sometime nearing sunrise. (Y/N) had her head on my chest as her tired eyes were directing at Joe's body. She never let go of his hand once. Patrick was asleep, leaning against Pete who was awake and staring intently at the boy next to him. We were all brought on to the boat and given rooms. I even used my father's name in order to get Joe a place to preserve his body until we could get to New York.

"Andy...come to bed." (Y/N)'s soft voice sounded in my ears. I turned from the boat window and saw her wearing a modest nightgown that was loaned to her by another woman on the ship.

"I'll be there in a minute." I frowned. (Y/N)'s eyes had black rings around them and it was then that I realized she needed me.

She was scared to fall asleep.

I closed the window and took her hand in mine.

"Come. Let's go to sleep." I smiled softly. (Y/N) let me lead her to the bed and got in after me. She wrapped her arms around me tightly and just looked at me with those (E/C) eyes.

"What's going on (Y/N)? I need to know what's going on in that kind of yours." I whispered.

"I close my eyes and I'm afraid I'm gonna wake up back on that raft, back in that water, and back to that moment when Joe died." (Y/N) sniffled. Her lips quivered as she spoke and heart heart sped up.

"That's not gonna happen. As long as you just keep your hand on my chest, you'll know I'm here. Just feel for my heart beat." I assured her, placing her hand right on my heart.

"I can't believe we survived." (Y/N) sobbed.

"Neither can I." I confessed to myself.

Pete's POV

As Patrick dried his hair, I looked at him, still not believing we were still here. We were alive.

But Joe wasn't.

"These towels are soft." Patrick commented, but it wasn't the same wonderment and childlike amusement. Patrick grew up more in 5 hours than I grew up in 5 years.

"Yeah, pretty soft." I replied back softly. Patrick looked over at me and climbed onto the bed, nestling his face into my chest.

"I know...it doesn't feel real to me either." He mumbled. Then, I couldn't be strong.

"Joe is dead." I sobbed.

"I know, but think of it this way: he can see his mum again, like all of us want to, but don't have the strength to do."

"I was supposed to be taking care of him! You, (Y/N), and Joe were mine to care for and I screwed up! I brought you guys on a boat that killed Joe, and I barely have a plan for when we get to New York. I think...we were all better off dying tonight." Patrick pulled away from me and looked me in my eyes.

"You're gonna take care of us Pete. I know you will. We're gonna be just fine." He assured me.

"I hope so. I just...I wish Joe were here." I frowned. Patrick kissed me softly and laid next to me.

"Me too." He sighed.