Chapter 33

*2 Weeks Later*

Patrick's POV

(Y/N), Pete, Andy and I all stood around the wooden casket 6 feet in the ground.

"It doesn't feel real. None of this does. I wanna just grab him outta the box and tell him to stop foolin with us." (Y/N) sniffled, holding Andy's hand tightly.

"He wouldn't want us to be sad you guys. Joe would want us to shed a couple of years and get on with life." Pete reminded us.

"It still hurts like hell though." I frowned. Everyone looked over at me, always the optimist, but how could I be optimistic? The boy who was like a brother to me is in a box about to be buried 6 feet under ground. Pete wrapped an arm around me and kissed my temple.

"Do you think he misses us?" (Y/N) asked.

"Of course. He's still our Joe. He's still our family." Pete sniffled. Andy looked over at (Y/N) who was shaking with sobs.

"Hey, I might not have not known Joe for very long, but I know this; he loved you guys. Anyone with eyes could see that. Joe is probably just smiling down at us right now, wherever he is." Andy explained.

"Y-You're right. He's happy now." (Y/N) nodded.

"He was happier with us. He was better off with us. Joseph should not have died!" I growled. Everyone turned to me and I felt Pete squeeze my hand.

"Trick, you need a minute?" He asked, looking at me with pitying eyes.

"I need a whole lifetime to understand why it was Joe and not me or anyone else on that god forsaken boat!" I yelled. (Y/N) cried and pulled me into a hug. It was then when I let myself start to sob.

"I ask myself that question every night. Why not me?" (Y/N) sobbed in my neck. I shut my eyes tightly and could've sworn I saw Joe smiling at me. Joe laughing at me. Joe frowning at me. Joe was everywhere.

It was all just too much.

I pulled out of (Y/N)'s hug and wiped my eyes.

"Can we just bury him now? No one's gonna heal if he's still here." I sniffled. Pete wrapped his arm around my shoulder and I let myself lean into his warmth. As dirt was thrown upon the wooden casket that held my best friend, I felt my heart get a little bit lighter. Maybe this was the closure we all needed.

I turned to see (Y/N) leaning into Andy's chest quietly sobbing and I suddenly knew she'd recover.

We all would.