Dance battle with Barbie

Lexi P.O.V

I walked into the school building – late as usual – looking at my timetable: I had Health and Social Care first. Fun… NOT! As I reached the classroom, I decided to try and sneak in and get to my seat without being caught. I tiptoed into the class as the teacher was writing something down on the chalk board. All my classmates watched as I tried and failed. Just as I was about to sit down…

“Late again, Miss Reed.” He stated.

“HOW?! How did you even see me?” I asked, shocked.

“I have eyes behind my head. Plus, you left the door wide open.” He smirked, turning around to look at me.

I sat down anyway, not caring anymore and pulled out my phone, placing my legs on top of the desk.

“First you’re late and now you’re texting?” He huffed.

“Well done.” I sarcastically replied.

“Headteacher’s office! NOW!” Was all he said. I threw my backpack over my shoulders and marched out proudly.

--

“Lexi, here again?” Mr K sighed.

“Yup.” I popped the P and walked over to his bean bags in front of his desk, getting comfy. I just laid there for a while, thinking about everything that’s happened these past few months.

“Are you okay? You know ever since your parents?”

Why won’t people just shut up about them?

“I’m fine, can I go now?”

“Yes, but lose the attitude and stop getting sent here. It’s like you live in this office.” he laughed as he excused me.

I nodded and walked out. As I was walking back to my lesson, I could see in the corner of my eye Hope and Aaron kissing near Hope’s locker. Cuties.

--

“It’s on.” Barbie winked as she marched off the stage with her evil minions. They had just finished their so called ‘dance’.

Hope ignored her and walked onto the stage.

“WHOOP! WHOOP! Go Hope” I cheered. It was the 10th annual talent show at our performing arts school. I won last year and I promised myself I wouldn’t get involved this year as I wanted Hope to win. She had come 3rd since I took first and Barbie took second.  Barbie only took second though because her boyfriend was one of the judges that year. Luckily, him and I were friends so he judged fairly when it came to me. Anyways back to the present, Hope and a few of her dancer friends were just about to start. Everybody cheered for Hope and the room fell quiet. 1 Thing by Amerie started playing and all 5 of them broke out into a combination of street dance mixed with contemporary.

After 4 minutes the dance was over: Hope was in the splits position and the other four members were behind her, posing. The whole room broke out into cheers as they all ran off stage smiling. I was cheering the loudest before I ran down to the changing rooms and hugged Hope and the other dancers.

1 hour had past, all the performers had performed and the scores was finally in…

“Taking first place is…” the judge announced.

FLASHBACK

Walking into my health class with Hope trailing behind me a voice announced in a shrilly tone from over from the corner.

“We’re so going to win the talent show this year” Megan or, as everyone calls her, Barbie giggled.

“Barbie! Can you shut up? Your squeaky voice is giving me a headache!” I smirked, sitting down at my desk behind her and her minions.