Story time....

Hope P.O.V

“Hazel, there you are! Where you been girl?” I ran up to the shy girl whose face was hidden by a large text book.

“O-oh hi...” She stuttered, looking up nervously.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing…” She frowned and looked back at her book. I eyed her as I pulled up a chair next to her and sat down. Instantly the rest of our group flooded in and sat beside us. Hazel looked up from her book and sighed. Before I could stop her, she grabbed her bag and left the room.

“What’s wrong with her?” I asked the boys.

“I dunno. Bro, what did you do to her yesterday?” Tyler punched his brother’s arm.

“Nothing, let me go talk to her.” He rolled his eyes and stood up but before he could leave, Jake grabbed his arm and shook his head – a silent indicator that he should sit down. Hadrian followed his orders and pulled out his books instead. Am I missing something?

Before I could voice the question, the teacher walked in and started her lesson.

“So what did was...” The teacher was interrupted as Lexi barged through the door; her eyes were red and puffy and she looked angry. Really angry. She ignored the boys’ greetings and sat down slamming the book in her hand on the table causing everyone to jump, even Cole.

“Calm down princess.” Barbie snickered, sat smugly in her new pink fluffy jumper. Before Lexi could respond, I kicked Barbie’s chair, causing her to fall off and land flat on her back. She was sat directly opposite me so it wasn’t a difficult task.

Lexi turned to me and winked as I watched  Barbie stand up and walk towards me. The next thing I knew, I felt a roaring pain coming from my left cheek. The bitch slapped me! Oh it’s on. I got up and threw myself at her causing her to fall backwards with me on top of her. I pinned her arms down and started punching her, mainly aiming for her ‘daddy paid for it’ nose and jaw. Both of us were swearing and screaming as everyone hooted. I felt someone pull me off her and restraining me and saw her minions rush to her side as she started screaming out in pain and cries.

---

“Hope, why?” The head teacher sighed as he handed me ice for my knuckles.

“I was helping Lexi. Why was she crying?” I questioned the fatherly man as I watched his eyes change from anger to sadness.

“She told me about everything. If you need to talk I’m here for you all. On that note I think you should get back to class.” He smiled gently. Wow! Mentioning her name got me excused from getting in trouble... Awesome!

Before I could walk out he called out “Oh and try to stay out of trouble Hope”

Laughing, I walked back out smiling.

Walking into Physics, I was greeted by the sound of everyone applauding. I laughed, proud of myself before settling down to concentrate on the lesson. Before I knew it, it was lunch time and we were all sat on our usual table with the usual cheerleaders, jocks and the football team.

“Hope, your punch though! Hahaha! You smashed it girl!” Tyler laughed as everyone nodded except Lexi.

“Lex...  I…” She turned to face me as tears rolled down her cheeks.

“No… I just… Thanks, I need to go find someone. See you in a bit.” She jumped up from Cole’s lap and ran out of the double doors, grabbing Aaron’s root beer causing him to frown. I ran out after her.

“Lexi, wait up!” I ran towards her. She stopped at her locker and slid down it crying. Comforting her I managed to persuade her to tell me what happened earlier.

“I explained to him and he said that… He had to tell the other teachers… And I have to tell everyone in an emergency assembly in 10 minutes. I just can’t… I’m scared everyone is going to laugh and judge me.” She cried.

“Lexi, he is right you have to tell everyone now; it’s been months and it’s getting worse. They have a right to know. Everyone here loves you they’re going to be torn. No one will laugh and if they do, Cole will beat the fuck out of them. You know how protective he is over you! If another guy even looks at you, Cole and the guys threaten to chop their balls off. Come on, trust me, everyone will understand.”

“Are you sure”?  She sniffled.

“Positive!” Just as the bell rang, I got up and held out my hand. She took it and hugged me.

---

“So everyone, I have a guest who needs to explain something to you. Lexi?” The head teacher called out her name. She stumbled onto the stage causing the whole school to stare at her.

LEXI’S P.O.V

Walking on the stage, I felt 2,000 pairs of eyes on me. That’s probably because there are more than 2,000 students in the hall. Holding the microphone I sighed and decided just to come out with it.

“Okay, hi everyone my name is Lexi as some of you know. I guess you’re wondering why I’m standing here but I’m sad to say that... Um… For the past 6 months I’ve been ill.” This caused a few people to gasp and to sit up straight. I could tell that they knew it was going to get worse.

“By ill I mean… I mean… I was diagnosed with cancer. I’ve been taking chemotherapy but it’s been spreading a lot, so I won’t have a long time to... I just wanted to let everyone know now instead of rumours spreading across the school so I’m just going to say this now. I’m ill, it’s not contagious nor is it a death situation. I’m getting better; I know it so I don’t want you all to treat me like I’m a 10 year old. I don’t want anything to change between us all so please just at least act like I’m still… here for now? Anyways party at mine on Friday, you’re all invited… BYE!” I stumbled across the stage as I threw the microphone at the head teacher and ran out.

Hazel’s P.O.V

Watching Lexi run out made me realise that I was crying. Not only was I crying but nearly everyone here had tears on their faces. This was the biggest news we’ve all heard in years and we were all excused from the hall and were let out early to go home as it was big news for all of us. Even the teachers. I slumped out of the hall I noticed a huddle of familiar faces. Running up to them, I squeezed my way in next to Hadrian.

“Did you know?” I questioned Hope and the guys.

“Yeah, of course.” Hope sighed as Aaron hugged her from behind, all of them had tears in their eyes and Hope started to cry.

“Why- Why didn’t you tell me?”

“She didn’t let us Hazel, I’m sorry.” Hope muttered, her usual big brown eyes were blood shot and puffy. Tears poured from my own eyes, streaming down my cheeks. Running out with tears streaming down my cheeks I ran towards my favourite car and jumped in.

“Sis, what’s wrong, why did I have to pick you up early?” My brother whispered gently as I instantly hugged him sobbing.

“I- It’s Lexi, she… she’s dying…”

“I know… She isn’t dying Hazel, don’t you ever say that again! She may be ill but she’s not dying.” He soothed me as I sobbed harder.

“… H-How do you know Lexi? And how do you know that she is ill?”

“Let’s go home; I have something to tell you.” His eyes moved away from mine and onto the road. He placed one hand on the steering wheel and one hand rested on mine.