2

Kaz (Malinda's brother) in the mm

"This is a collect from the Sussex state prison-" I pressed one, hoping it wasn't damn daddy calling again. I huffed as I waited to be connected.

"Dad, I just put money-"

"Linda?" His deep voice called my nickname, and I immediately knew that it was not my father.

"Nari?" I said softly, knowing damn well who it was.

"Hey baby girl, it's been so long. I missed you like crazy." He said, I could hear the smile in his voice.

"What do you need, are you okay?"

"I'm good, I'm just getting out tomorrow, and yours is the only number I remember."

How convenient, I think to myself. I was the only person who cared about him for awhile, money on his books, letters, the whole nine, yet still we fell off.

"Linda, you still there? Can you make it tomorrow?" He all but begged.

"Yes Shonari. What time do I need to be there?"

"Anytime before 6... please and thank you"

"I'll be there by 4, alright?" I told him, my voice softening, memories flashed through my head. Brandi pregnant, the ring he was gonna give her, the times I dreamed about us being together.

"Thank you so so much Malinda. It means the world to me, you know."

"Yeah, uh, I've gotta go, I'll see you tomorrow." My voice thick with emotion. The feelings I spent 10 years covering, slowly making themselves known.

~~~

"He said he's coming home tomorrow, Bubbs" I tell my brother, as I'm getting ready for bed.
Although he held this front that he didn't care for Shonari anymore, we all knew otherwise. He had a soft spot for him.

"Okay, great. So what?" I could practically feel him making a stank face.

"Don't be like that Kaz. That's your boy and you know it."

"I never said he wasn't. But why you rooting for him so hard? He knew how you felt and dogged you, yet you've been by his side every time he got locked."

"I don't know, Kaz. I don't know." I whispered into my phone, as I lay down, trying to think of an answer myself.

"You got a lotta heart, princesa, especially for him. But you let me know when you get back from getting him. We'll go out to dinner or something." Ha! See, a soft spot. You don't take people you don't like to dinner.

"Alright Bubbs. Love you. Talk to you tomorrow." I hang up, staring at the ceiling. He's coming home. And I'll be damned if I let him go back.