28

Shonari's POV

I try to compose myself before calling Kaz as not to alert him with the information I just found out. Linda would kill me if I told him. I start her corolla, and take a few breaths before going to call Kaz. Malinda has called my four times within the last 3 minutes, but I gotta handle this shit. It wouldn't have happened had I been home. Kaz's phone rings twice before he answers.

"Wassup Ace?" He answers cooly, and I find myself getting angry that he didn't know. There had to be signs, something.

"Yo, you know where that nigga Trey stay at?" I fix the seat and the mirrors before pulling away from the crib, Linda's short ass got everything all sorts of weird in here.

"Trigga? Yeah he stay out in Brooklyn wit his moms. Uhm, off Washington Ave," He responds. The fuck kinda name is Trigga? I know the nigga aint no hitman, he ain't outchea like that.

"Heard juu. Preciate it, bruh. Don't tell Linda what I called about" I say smoothly, weaving through cars as I got closer to the city.

"Thought you was done with the streets,"

"Almost"I end the call, hitting the gas, probably pushing the car as fast as it's ever gone.

Little did he know, this was about more than the streets.

Malinda's POV

He wouldn't answer my calls and I knew I'd never catch up to him on foot. I didn't think he'd react like that, and now I don't even know what to do. 

He's gonna kill him, he's gonna go back to jail. I call Kaz after trying to reach Nari for the seventh time. 

"Goddammit!" I scream out as Kaz doesn't answer, probably on the phone with Shonari. I call again immediately after and he answers on the first ring. 

"My darling lit-"

"What did he say to you?" I cut him off. I put him on speaker phone, texting Imani as I grab my bag and keys.

"What did who say to me?" he asks playing dumb.

"Answer me, Kaz"

"I can't tell you allat, Linda,"

"Kazmir, please. Now is not the time. What did he say?" I ask him again, pleading. My voice is  strained, my mind is everywhere. Imani texts me back saying she's on the way.

"Linda, I really can't tell you," I hang up on him, obviously not getting anywhere. I call Necia instead. 

"Hey ma-" she answers, chipper as usual.

"Nari just called Kaz, what did Kaz tell him?" I also cut her off, frantically changing my clothes.

"Uhm, he just told him where Trey lives?" She responds, her voice inquisitive.

"Fuck!" I yell out, hanging up on her as Imani honks from outside. Kaz and Necia are calling me repeatedly as I race downstairs, throwing myself into Imani's car. 

"Uhm, 115 Washington Ave," I tell her, rubbing my temples to remember his address and to try and stop the oncoming panic attack. She simply nods, not yet knowing what was going on, but understanding the urgency. I try calling Shonari again multiple times, and he keeps declining, while I keep declining Kaz and Necia's calls. Mani's hitting about 90, weaving dangerously between cars. My breathing incredibly heavy and my heart's pounding against my rib cage.

"Answer your damn phone," I whisper, texting Nari repeatedly. 

"We're almost there," Mani says softly after a good ten minutes of tense silence. I almost didn't hear her over my own thoughts, but I nod curtly.