31

Nari and I get in my car, but before starting it, I kiss him slowly.

"I'm sorry baby," I apologize again for being crazy. "And thank you. I love you so" kiss "so so" kiss kiss "much." I giggle as he grabs my face not letting me pull away.

"I love you too girl," he jokes, kissing me deeply. "This what we needed an extra twenty minutes for?"

"Maybeee" I drag out, biting on his neck lightly. He hisses lowly, as if I wouldn't hear him. "I heard that,"

"All of a sudden ya ass can hear some shit huh?" He rolls his eyes at me, biting my shoulder.

"Keep rolling them-"

"And they'll get stuck. I know Cheyanne," he mocks me, rolling his eyes dramatically.

"You mock me now, but when ya hoes don't want ya cross eyed ass, don't come crawling back," I mush his head, laughing loud when he grabs my waist, tickling me lightly.

"Don't call yourself a hoe Linda, you my lovaaaaa," he sings horribly, his gravely voice not agreeing with the note he was trying to hit.

"Ew stop it," I laugh obnoxiously. "You know you got hoes, it's okay baby," I go to rub his beard but he pushes my hand away from him.

"Ain't no hoes bihhh," he kisses the hand he's holding softly, then trails kisses up my arm until he reaches my face. He then kisses my forehead and nose, stopping right before my lips. His eyes glance at them before his eyes meet mine again. "I love you mama," he finally kisses my lips softly. I lean into the kiss, my hands linked around the back of his neck. "We gotta go baby," he mumbles against my lips weakly, not at all actually trying to leave.

"Okay," I moan back, also making no move to leave.

"Forreal baby," he says pulling away. I frown my face up but start the car anyways. "Fix ya face," he commands not even looking at me.

"I wasn't even making a face," I grumble, turning down the street. He laughs at my expression, finally looking at me.

"Yeah okay. Google say the school like a 7 minute walk from the shop," he turns back to his phone.

"Yeah, it's not far," a moment or two of silence pass. "You know you can do whatever you want, right? I don't want you to feel pressured to work in the shop-" I was interrupted by his phone ringing, my brother's name flashing across the screen. Nari mutes it.

"Bae, I want to do this. I don't feel pressured. I'm happy that you wanna let my rough ass work in ya nice ass shop," he laughs, making me laugh as well.

"Boy hush," his phone rings again as we pull into the cosmetology school.

"Yurr," he answers his phone like a typical New York nigga. I can't hear who or what's being said, but his eyebrows scrunch up in confusion.

"What's wrong," I whisper to him, but he puts a finger up telling me to wait.

"Aight, bet. Me and Linda will meet y'all there in a second," he hangs up, rubbing his hand over his head.

"You okay baby? What happened?" I grab his hand from his head, making him look at me.

"Kaz says Nardo wants to meet us at the shop like now. Said it was important, something about our jobs and shit," I nod in acknowledgement, starting the car back up. Nari's leg bounces as way make the short drive to Nardo's. I put a hand on his thigh, but the bouncing doesn't stop.

"It'll be okay, babe," I try to reassure him.

"What if it's not, huh? Then what?"

"Then we make things okay," I look over at him as he makes eye contact, the determination evident in my voice and expression.

We pull up to the shop, everyone waiting for us.

"Finally, love birds, " Nardo comments, a weak smile graces his aging features. I hug him softly, before Nari grabs him up into a bear hug. "Put me down boy," he laughs before coughing harshly.

"See what you did," Kaz jokes, patting Nardo on his back.

"Come inside, we need to talk," Rosa says, her quiet voice heavily accented.

We all follow Rosa and Nardo, each exchanging glances about what this could all be about.

"Bring drinks, dulce,"

"We're good Rosa. Nardo what's this about?" Nari slightly raises his voice. Nardo sighs, smiling softly.

"Rosa and her mouth, I swear she can't hold water," Nardo rubs Rosa's thigh as she nudges his shoulder.

"I'm sick... again," he rolls his eyes at his own statement. "Damn heart ain't worth a damn if it can't keep me alive" He laughs weakly. "I want the boys to have the shop," he finally states.

I gasp lowly, covering my mouth as tears fill my eyes. Nardo's shop had been Nardo's shop since the 70's. Before that, It belonged to his father.

"Since Rosa and I haven't had any children, and you two are like my kids," he motions toward Kaz and I and Rosa nods in agreement. "And knucklehed here has really grown on me," he nudges Nari playfully.

"It would mean the wolrd to me to take over for you Nardo," Kaz says tearfully. He gets up and hugs Nardo tightly. "Gives me something to leave my kids," He motions toward Necia, and Rosa gasps while Nardo looks incredibly suprised.

"Gracias a dios," Rosa says as she crosses Necia over. She and Necia hug before she looks pointedly over at me.

"No, no, not yet," I say putting my hands up in defense.

"Pero soon, no?"

"Posiblemente Rosa," I shrug her off, turning to Nari, who's been quiet since Nardo's offering.

"Well, you gone help him run the shop boy?" Nardo asks the still shocked Nari.

"Of course. It'd mean everything to me Nardo. I ain't never had nothing to call my own, and now this," he shakes his head. Nardo moves to sit next to him and pats his back.

"You two deserve it, if you didn't, i wouldn't be giving it to ya" He hugs Nari tightly as he cries. He release Nari, and Rosa grabs him up immediately after.

"Hush, mijo" she cradles him to her chest like I do, rocking him slowly to calm him.

"Thank you Nardo," Kaz and I say at once, hugging him close to us.

"Y'all like my kids. And you've always been there for me and Rosa, we appreciate you two more that you know," my phone goes off, interrupting our moment. 

"Sorry, "I step away to answer. "Yes?"

"Bitch did you die?" Mani's voice come through the receiver, worried.

"Shit, yeah. We had to stop at Nardo's. He's giving the shop to the guys," I explain, forgetting all about how Mani took Mama home and was to meet us back at the shop.

"Really?! That's great!" 

"Yeah, is everything at the shop okay?" 

"Yes ma'am. Don't worry about stopping by. I'll close up then we'll go celebraaaate!" She draws and I can't help the laugh I let go. Imani finds the smallest things to celebrate. I guess that's what keeps her so happy. 

"Alright, hit me with plans mama,"

"Ciao," We mutually end our phone call

"Baby! Did you hear what Nardo said?" Shonari enters the space I was in, his voice echoing in the empty area.

"No baby. What?"

"The shop's paid off, we make all the profit. Kaz wants to help Nardo and Rosa pay off some bills, they both declined, but we all know how Kaz is," 

"Of course, it's only right. Mani wants to go out to celebrate tonight,"

"Bet. Let's get ready to get outta here," he grabs my hand, holding it tightly, before placing a light on my cheek.