30

Sorry for the wait. Life comes at you fast, but here goes nothing.

We had our breakfast with Mama Freeman and it was so refreshing for us to all be together. Kaz and Necia started to clean up as Nari and I stepped outside to talk.

"I'm sorry," we both said as soon as the door closed. We laugh at ourselves, and I lean my head on his shoulder as we sit on the stoop. The sun was drifting in and out of the clouds, illuminating Nari's caramel skin and coffee colored eyes every so often.

"I'm sorry for not realizing the reason behind your actions, and I appreciate what you did," I look down at my feet, avoiding his intense stare.

"I can see how that was misunderstood. I probably should've went about it differently, but it needed to happen Malinda,"

"Let's just move on. It happened and it's done," I dust off my hands of the situation and finally make eye contact with the love of my life. "I love you and I thank you," I kiss him lightly, hugging his shoulders.

His arms wrap around me protectively, "Siempre," he whispers softly into my hair and it seems like all is right in the world.

The door pops open slowly, Imani peeking her head out, covering her eyes. "Y'all kissing?" She says loudly like a little kid.

"No Mani," I reply, laughing as I getup off the cement stairs. "We were about to come in,"

"Well Mama Freeman wanted to talk to all of us real quick before I take her home,"

"You ain't gott-" Nari starts.

"Nah, I do," Mani says, her expression serious as she turns back into the house.

"Her husband's probably home," I tell Nari and he shakes his head angrily. "We've had enough excitement for the week baby. Let it go," I rub his back as we join everyone in the living room.

"Well, word on the street is Nardo's isn't doing so well," Mama Freeman starts, causing all of us to react in surprise.

"Whachu mean?" Kaz states aggressively. He's been working in and off at Nardo's garage for years now. Nardo and his wife were family, they took care of us when our 'father' couldn't.

"Why hasn't he said anything?" Necia asks quietly, trying to soothe Kaz's anger.

"Pride is a hell of a drug," Imani replies lowly.

Nari hangs his head, leaning into me a little more than before. It seems like he can never make too much progress. There's always something.

"Rosa says they're falling behind on rent for the building and you know Bernard's heart is bad, he been having spells lately. It's all just too much," Mama mentions Nardo's wife. She was also close to Kaz and I growing up, especially after our mother passed.

"Well what can we do to help?" Imani offers, the rest of us silent.

I feel lost and confused. I see Nardo so often, how come I didn't notice he was hurting again? I was the one there when Nardo has his first heart attack. He was replacing my brakes when he started grabbing at his chest, telling me he couldn't breathe. I feel like I was to blame. I know what to look for but I was so far up Shonari's ass, I couldn't see it.

"It's not your fault Linda," Mama Freeman says, bringing me out of my head, she rests her hands on mine. I was rocking back and forth in my seat, my hands shaking. Shonari wrapped me in his arms trying to restrict my movement to stop the oncoming attack. "You can't blame yourself for old age, child," she assures me.

"We can do a fundraiser," Necia suggests.

"Rosa really just wants him to retire. I'm only telling you this because that leaves these boys and the rest of them without a job,"

"Back to square one," Nari mutters under his breath, still having my body pressed against him, my mind still racing.

"They can come work at the shop," Imani says in a duh tone. "We've got space right, Linda?"

That brings me to a more comfortable mental space. Bernard wouldn't have to work or pay for the space and the guys will have a job.

"You're a genius Mani!" Necia exclaims, clapping her hands lightly. Nari pulls himself from me, looking at me for confirmation I'm assuming.

"Of course we have space, that's perfect," I say, hugging Shonari, reassuring him things would be okay.

"Now, now, they'd have to get licensed and such. You know how those inspectors be," Mama tries to be rational, but she's also visibly excited.

"The hair school Kristina goes to is only a few blocks from the shop, they can still work while they're getting their licensed," I say. "That's if you don't mind," I look between Kaz and Nari, forgetting we never actually asked their opinions.

"Fuck it," Kaz says, "get to spend more time with my babies," he smiles brightly at Necia.

"Babies!" Mani and I squeal hugging Necia tightly. "Bitch why didn't you tell me!" Mani scolds her, while I hug my brother tightly, crying hard against his chest.

"We were going to, I promise," Necia defends against Mani.

"I'm so happy for you Bubbs. Mommy would be so proud,"

"Thank you Malinda. Had to give her some grand babies," he looks over at the picture of our mother and us when we were younger on the wall. "She'd never let me live it down," he joked wiping a few tears of his own.

"Congrats Bro," he and Nari dap each other up. Mama Freeman also congratulates Kaz and Necia, before her gaze falls on Nari and I. "Mama, don't,"

"I didn't say anything," she feigns innocence, hugging Necia. "I just know you two better be next,"

After a few more minutes of discussion; Nari, Mani, Mama and I make our way out.

"We're gonna drop by the school and get things together," Necia says as we leave.

"Okay, give us like 20, and we'll meet you there," I say, getting into the car.

"I'll see y'all at the shop when everything's all straightened out," Mani calls out her window.

And with that, we all went our separate ways.