4. June

Day's wish was fulfilled.

Finally, I thought for myself. His wish on how we are supposed to meet just happened.

As I held his hand on mine, he didn't shook hands with me. He just stare at me very attentive that he'll notice any simple shift on my movement. I know at the back of my mind that until now, he doesn't remember me fully. And I don't know if he'll be able to do so, but there's nothing wrong to hope about it, right?

"June..." he started. To hear my name that pass from his lips brought me in edge to cry because of happiness. For ten years, I haven't heard him calling me by name. Well, I guess, for ten years, he also didn't think or even mutter my name even for once.

I waited for the next words that he wanted to let me know but I just see him close his eyes slowly and tighten his shut on them. It's like he is fighting off something from view or he is just trying all he could to remember a past that is long gone on his memory. Maybe not gone, but buried deep until the very bottom of the soil, erosion caused a new layer of rocks that cover that past times we had.

"You're June Iparis," he continued solemnly and open his eyes. "Am I right? A Princeps-Elect in training ten years ago if I clearly remember."

"Well, yes," I answered. "But I didn't continue that training. I know that I'll never be very good with life in politics."

Day nods slowly and let go off my hands. He brushes his hair again and I caught sight of the paper clip ring that I had given him when he does. "It seems like I'm too much aware of your presence but you still haven't known me fully. We could start getting to know each other, you know?"

I don't need to. I know every single thing about you. If you want to ask me about you, like when's your birthday—January 3, 2115. Where do you previously live? Lake sector. Who are you ten years ago? Well, you are the most wanted criminal of The Republic of America. Why? Because you are a threat of a rebellion that the government fears. How do our lives collide? I thought at first that you were the one who killed my brother that's why I haunt you down. And what cause it? I lead the soldiers onto your family's door, your mother was killed in the process, Eden was brought to the labs, and John was taken behind bars, all the efforts were done to lead you out of your hiding place. Then, what happened? You were supposed to be executed, but I lead you to safety because I learn that you weren't the one who really murder my brother. But again, because of me, John replace you to face the firing squad.

That's how I had changed your life to something much worse and will haunt you forever.

Day then holds my hand. It's not any type of affection. It's really not holding hands because it was only him that has my hand on his. He urges me to walk on the direction of Ruby where I, Tess and Pascao are to meet to celebrate my birthday dinner on one of its café, just near my apartment actually. "Come on, you got to trust me, darling. You don't know how easily I can let girls hang out with me."

I started walking with him, his hand's hold on my hand is so tight and assuring at the same time. I glance at Eden who just smiled and follows just behind us. "Really? Probably, you have dated a lot of girls ever since you learn how to charm them."

He laughs. "Actually, in a very uncertain and strange way, I know that I've kissed a lot of girls already but for the past ten years, no one seems to pass my standards. Maybe because, buried deep down on my very own memory... if you don't know I lose them ten years ago as well, I know that there's this certain girl that I truly love. I really did. And maybe, just maybe, even if I can't remember who she is really, I know that she's the only one that will really make me happy."

Even if I want him to know everything, who that girl is... that it was me that he is trying to remember... I just can't bring myself to let him know about it. I'm not like other girls around my age that will try every single thing that they could do just to grab the attention of boys just to be able to get married before they reach thirty.

Day shot me a smile at my direction. "My name's Daniel Altan Wing if it seems to trouble you."

"It really didn't trouble me at all," I answered.

He then glance behind him as we walk side by side. He stops and ushered to Eden to acknowledge him of his presence. "By the way, June, this is Eden, my brother."

Eden glances at me. His eyes were bright blue like Day even behind his glasses. He smiled at my direction. Actually, it is really not a smile. It is filled with sadness or apology, I guess. "Hi. It's nice meeting you, June."

I try to blend in with what's going on. I can't just say Day that I already know his brother. Instead I replied, "Likewise, Eden."

Day then turned to me again and started walking with me again. "Actually, we're about to stay here with my brother. Maybe for forever if possible. We just return here after ten years being in Antartica. I guess, it's really good to be home."

"I can then say, a welcome back to you, if that's the case, Day," I replied.

Wait a minute... Did I just call him...? Day? Crap...

Day gives me a side glance. Confusion was clouding his face and I can say that he really didn't hide that emotion of surprise very well on his features. His grown features leave imprint of his old self. He abandoned his long blonde hair to something much shorter and ideally much perfect on him now (though I would really prefer him as the long haired guy), and the imperfections that I guess will remain forever on his eyes as long as he lives were still visible and present. "Did you just call me... Day?"

I swallow hard and tries very hard to meet his eyes. "Did I?"

"Wait, you really just did call me 'Day'?" he insisted but I didn't sense the rising tension on his voice.

I breathe in and out and then mentally warn myself that I'll regret calling him with that name.

I'll slap myself once he's away from me already... but I don't want him to leave now that he's back. I don't want him to be gone away, far from me, ever again...

"Yes," I admitted. "I guess the nickname just suit you, you know?"

He surveys me for a while.

He'll be mad, I told myself. He'll walk out and say how crazy I am to give him a nickname right away in a first meeting. The only problem is that, this is our first meeting after ten years, but beyond those ten years, we've known each other already.

"So Day is it then?" He asked, "Like, 'everyday'?"

I remember Day's words when I asked him about his street name. He says that: 'Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment. You die in the moment. You take it all one day at a time. You try to walk in the light.'

But then when I let him be reminded by those words, at the time that I learn about his terminal illness, he says that: 'Sometimes, the sun sets earlier. Days don't last forever, you know.'

Yet, now here he is. He'll remain. His legacy will last forever.

I waited for him to continue. I am about to lose hope that he'll say that he won't allow me to call him with the that nickname that happens to be his street name when he was a criminal until the time that he reaches the glory of the Republic ten years ago.

Then, Day nods with understanding and flashes me a smile. "I like it,"he answered. "It's like you try walking in the light every passing day."