28: Day

"Where's June?" I ask the moment I arrive at the Elector's office. My eyes instantly narrow at the sight of Pierre - without June around. Panic surges in my system, thinking that something wrong had happened to her.

Pierre is about to say something - like how rude of me to just inquire before the Elector could say something - but before he can do anything, Anden turns his eyes toward me, posh and regal. He then tells me, "Commander Iparis asked to take her leave just five minutes ago. Don't worry, I've ordered men to follow her without her knowledge. The best protection is surely the one that's invisible from anyone - even the ones being guarded."

"So, espionage," I reply.

"That's rather severe. I would say that it is more of, 'undercover'." He sighs heavily and leans back in his seat.

"Elector..." Pierre trails off, reminding Anden about something. And surely, I know what that something is after all. "Even espionage through bodyguards... Commander Iparis will still know about it. She is, after all, the Prodigy."

I clear my throat. "Not to mention that I'd so suddenly acquired a new set of bodyguards as well. Those people who are trying to kill me."

"I would say that they are not trying to kill you, or June." Anden presses his fingers against his temple. "They are much more interested in recruiting you. For the cause that they are trying to fight for. That, having said, is to return the Republic far beyond its history. The Old United States of America that they are trying to reform has been already lost from most of the people's knowledge."

"Apparently, they still know about it. That means there are still others who continue to have an edge about it." I cross my arms across my chest. "They won't stop at anything, will they?"

"You and June were considered the people's champion when you ceased the attack of the Colonies over our territory. For the people who want their cause to reach - and be heard by - others, all they need is the right people for their propaganda. Surely, they know that they can reach you two. Your liberal minds and acceptance of how the people will benefit make them feel that they are part of the minority to be heard as well," Anden remarks. "The only problem though, even if we want to know their real objective... we can't simply do that."

I frown. "Why? Remember that they have a hostage. They are using Tess against me and June. Who knows how many others are being held by them? People are going to start asking what's going on. Unless more than half of the population of the Republic is already aware, or they are part of this group themselves."

Anden looks at me intently for a moment before he turns to acknowledge Pierre. The latter then clears his throat and remarks, "To be honest, Mister Wing, we've recently informed Commander Iparis that this group, calling themselves the ones to return the Old United States of America, are trying to go through the extremities. Your brother almost became a casualty."

I freeze. My blood suddenly turns cold at the mention of Eden. The Republic had already stolen a lot of people I care about; but that was before, when all I ever wanted was to get my revenge on a group of people who made my life even worse, and now that they are gone, there is no use to burn with such anger again. Instead, I inquire, "How is Eden?"

"He is safe," Anden answers. "Thanks to the quick thinking of the bodyguards you've been evading so well. But surely, this is not going to be the last time. Until they know they aren't able to take hold of what they truly wanted, they'll continue to do everything in their power to propel you toward them."

"They must know that if Eden became a casualty, I would much want to hunt each one of them and kill them myself," I announce.

"And these people know that whatever you are vowing to yourself right now is against your principles," remarks Anden, his eyes still boring straight into mine.