Chapter 1: Interrogation

C h a p t e r 1 : I n t e r r o g a t i o n

"She won't respond!" Hange said furiously. Annie rolled her eyes. Was I supposed to respond when I have the dumb rag tied around my mouth?

"Hange, she's probably not responding because you tied the rag around her mouth." Levi replied, not even bothering to look up.

"Ohh. Right, I forgot about that!" She removed the rag. "Alright. Why were you trying to kidnap Eren?"

Silence.

"Ughhhh." Levi groaned, and stood up. "Tch, I guess pain is the only way to go."

"You don't sound too upset about that." Hange noted.

However, not even Levi's physical discipline could get her to speak. She just sat there, staring into space.

"No use. She's probably used to pain." Levi said. "She didn't even flinch."

"Well, I'm putting that down. That's valuable information. It means wherever she's come from, they teach her what to do. Eren also told us that she learned her combat from her father... So it was probably her father who did all of this." Hange concluded.

"Then I don't like her father." Levi replied. "Maybe, she would talk, if he hadn't done that."

Hange closed her book. "It's useless, she won't say anything. I've been trying for the past week. It's time to resort to plan two."

"Tch, yes, you're right... Let those brats in."

In came the top ten 104th training corps. None of them could look her in the eye, except for Mikasa. Mikasa had a triumphant look on her face.

"We also brought Armin." Eren said.

"Whatever. That's fine."

"Hey Annie." Jean said. "Im glad you're subdued, since you ended up killing my best friend."

"Wow, you're definitely prompting her to speak with that." Reiner jeered.

"This is a waste of my time." Mikasa said aloud. "She's not going to say anything."

"She's disgustingly bloody...." Levi muttered. "keep trying, brats."

"Gee, thanks." Reiner murmurs to Bertolt.

"Hey Annie." Eren sat near her. "You're probably wondering why I hesitated... If I can make you a deal.." He glanced at Armin. "... If you answer this question, we'll answer one of yours."

Annie narrowed her eyes. Her orbs shifted to Hange, Levi, and then Mikasa.

"What?" Eren asked, confused.

"You want them to be gone while it happens?" Armin guessed. Annie reluctantly nodded her head.

"What! I'm not leaving." Mikasa said furiously.

"No one said you had to leave." Levi said.

"She said- she'll speak if... If Mikasa, Levi, and Hange leave." Armin said.

"I'm not going-" Hange started to protest, but Levi grabbed her arm, got Mikasa, and dragged them both out.

"Okay. We'll start off easy." Armin took a deep breath. "Who... Who killed Marco.. And why?" Armin heard Jean inhale sharply.

Annie nodded her head.

"That wasn't a yes or no question, you-" Krista covered Jean's mouth to keep him from speaking.

Armin tilted his head. "You did. Okay. And why?"

"How the hell did you understand that?" Eren whispered to Armin, but he ignored him.

Annie shook her head no.

"AGHHH! I'm so confused by her, and I'm so hungry!!" Sasha wailed, and Connie rolled his eyes before shushing her.

Annie made sure she caught Sasha's eye, and then moved her glance to the tray of food on the floor.

"I can have it! Really!!! Thank you Annie! You're the best!" Sasha squealed before happily grabbing the food.

Armin swears he saw a hint of a smile appear on Annie's face, but he dismisses it as a figment of his imagination.

"Yeah, let's just ignore the fact that she tried to kill us. Definitely the best." Connie mutters.

"Anyway." Armin turned back to Annie. "So.. Why?"

Annie shook her head no again.

"I don't understand." Eren pulled at his own hair. "Just speak, Annie!"

Annie glared at him, before shaking her head again.

"Okay. Well... " Armin stopped to think.

"I don't understand how he knows what she's been saying." Bertolt whispered.

"Neither do I." Reiner answered.

"So... You don't know why?" Armin asked.
Annie rolled her eyes and shook her head no.

"... Hmm. Okay, that wasn't it..."

"Oh! I've got it!" Sasha said, after munching on her bread.

"Oh boy." Jean hung his head.

"She already answered one question, and that was the deal."

To everyone's surprise, Annie nodded.

"Whaaaat!" Connie's eyes widened.

"I was right!" Sasha cheered.

"Okay, well, then it's your turn to ask a question." Armin said. This was what they were really waiting for, to see if she would actually speak.

Annie narrowed her eyes, and her gaze shifted to Eren. They locked eyes, before Eren looked away.

"You want him gone, too?" Armin asked. Annie shook her head no. "Then what!" Armin was getting frustrated, along with everyone else... Besides Annie.

"Okay. Eren..." Annie shook her head yes. "Eren... That's as far as I've got." Armin confessed.

Annie rolled her eyes. She looked at Eren, then Armin, and looked at herself. Then, she mouthed one word. Why?

"What!?" Eren said, puzzled.

"Please, speak." Krista pleaded. "If you don't, they'll take you far away..."

Annie rolled her eyes. She shifted her orbs to herself, and then Armin.

"Everyone else.. Leave." Armin ordered. Complaining, they did leave. "so what was your question?"

In a barely audible voice, Annie whispered.

"If you knew who I was... Why didn't you turn me in when you figured it out?"