Chapter 21: The Middle

C h a p t e r 2 1 : T h e    M i d d l e

"I can't believe we got out of there," Eren snorted. "Their defenses must have been so weak. Why were they trusting you to protect me? Shouldn't they know you're a traitor?"

"That is not so clear cut for everyone," Annie answered. "Some still have a lingering faith that I am with them..."

Her voice trailed off as she thought of Reiner, Kaira, Saiko, and Bertolt. She dreaded the thought of facing any of them in battle, especially Reiner...

"Why? Shouldn't they just brush it aside? They know you're a traitor."

"How would you feel if someone like Sasha or Armin were to suddenly become evil?" Annie countered coldly. "How would you feel?"

"I'd put it aside, for the sake of humanity."

"You say that... But would you be able to fight against your best friend? Or someone you trusted?"

"I fought against you, didnt I?" Eren pointed out.

"But you failed to kill me, when everyone needed you to."

Eren fell silent. He didn't have a good answer to that. It was true- in the moment of need, Eren had hesitated. And it had allowed Annie to survive and crystallize herself. He'd gotten scolded so many times for that, there was no way he could've forgotten his mistake. But even if he went back in time, he wouldn't have changed anything- he couldn't.

"Yeah. That's cause you were my friend, and you betrayed me. I trusted you."

"Exactly. So you understand their position more than anyone."

Eren looked away, annoyed that Annie was right.

"Yeah."

"There's Liana," Levi pointed out. "Let's get her."

Levi picked the girl up, and they were ready to keep going.

The team continued their trek on, and finally made it to the edge of the forest.

"We're here," Levi sharply said. "There they are."

Erwin, Hange, and a couple of the others were waiting for them.

"Got everyone? Let's head out," Erwin instructed. "We're not equipped to deal with them."

"Yeah. Everyone's here."

"Everyone? But where's blondie-" Hange shut up as everyone looked at her. "Oh."

"Let's just go."

<><><>

"I'm so glad you're safe," Armin hugged the Female Titan. She was cold- both mentally and physically. While she normally allowed herself to open up a little bit to Armin, it seemed that she was holding herself back today. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

To be honest, Annie wasn't. She was thinking of Reiner, Bertolt, Kaira, Saiko, her father. What was wrong with her? She was no lovesick pet. The only person standing on her side in the Scout Regiment was Armin. She had everyone else in Nanitorakin village. Why was she here for one person?

In a perfect world, Annie would be with all of them, fighting at the same time... together. But this world was far from perfect, and the only way that would ever happen is if Armin defected from the Scouts- and Annie knew he'd never do that.

So, what? What was she supposed to do? Just ignore the family who had raised her? The friends who had kept her safe... or rather, sane? Her father who had done his best to raise her? Or ignore Armin?

To be honest, Annie didn't even know how she got in this mess. How she liked Armin. But she did, and nothing was going to change that. What to do..?

Hmm. She had a choice. A choice she had to make right now. Did she choose Armin,
who was technically on the 'right' side, or her childhood family and friends who would protect her no matter what?

<><><>

"Saiko will destroy whoever hurt Kaira like this!" Saiko fumed as she untied the female. "They'll die, painfully, by Saiko's hands. Torture, torture, torture!"

"Calm down, Saiko," Kaira grunted. "I'm fine. And you aren't going to hurt Annie on my watch."

"Annie?" Saiko's eyes widened. "She... no. Annie just got back! Did she-"

"She went off," Kaira replied grimly. "Don't tell anyone I said this. She went off willingly. Levi.. Reiner's in trouble if he has to go against Levi. He's a powerful force to be reckoned with."

"Reiner? Have problems?" Saiko scoffed. "No way! Not against a human. Never."

"You'd be surprised."

"Well, Reiner will be fine. He's Reiner. He's amazing," Saiko reassured herself. "Saiko should go give him a warning, though. Saiko wouldn't want-"

"He already knows," Kaira replied, irritated. "He wants to beat him, of course. The problem is, is that Levi took care of Annie pretty easily. Who's to say he can't do the same to Reiner?"

"Reiner... he's got more resolve, though. Annie has always been on the edge. Reiner-"

"That's where you're wrong. Annie's always been devoted to us until recently. Reiner never knows whether he's truly a soldier or one of us," Kaira told her bitterly. "Seems they've flip-flopped. And now they're just stuck in the middle of it all."

Hey everyone, hope you enjoyed the chapter. Sorry for the slow updates, I'm doing my best.

Thanks for reading :)