Chapter 17: Two

C h a p t e r 1 7 : T w o

"You know, you could've helped us during that fight. A lot." Reiner complained as Eren was now locked up. Annie and Reiner were sitting and keeping watch on Eren. They knew at any time the Scouts could appear. Who even knew when Bertolt was going to show up at the village? They knew where they were.

Unfortunately for the Scouts, Nanitorakin Village was full of trained combatants. Most of the inhabitants were taught hand to hand combat by Annie's father. The Scouts stood no chance.

Annie didn't know how she felt about that.

"Sorry." Annie replied coldly. "I thought that we were still trying to seem like we were on their side."

"The only person still has their trust fully is Bertolt." Reiner pointed out. "Besides, we can take all of them. Look at us." He gestured at the village. "We're stronger than them."

"...My father. Do you think he will be safe?" Annie questioned.

"...is that even a question?" Reiner told her. "Your father is a hand to hand combat expert. If anything, your father can probably take on Levi."

Levi.

Levi was an aspect she hadn't taken into concern. Would they all be able to defeat Levi?

Probably not.

"...Will we be able to defeat Levi?" Annie asked quietly. "He's strong. I know I can beat Mikasa, but Levi.."

"...I don't know." Reiner confessed. "I hope, but.. If that happens... I'll take Eren and flee. They still don't know I'm alive. I'd prefer to keep it that way."

"Why? So they don't know you betrayed them?" Annie said coldly. He was quiet.

"Yeah. I don't really want to imagine how they'll... React."

Annie didn't respond for a while.

"You spent too much time there." Reiner commented. "It's getting to you."

"You too." Annie countered. "Softhearted fool."

"Rejected lover." Reiner shot back. She stared at him, in shock but she masked it well- as usual.

"Who are you even implying?" Annie rolled her eyes.

"... why would you save Armin's life? Why not just kill him?" Reiner countered.

"Simply because I knew him." Annie answered, her eyes locking onto Reiner's. "I would have done the same if it was anyone else from our training Corps. Had I known Armin would be the one who would discover me, I never would've saved him."

It was true. That had been her mindset at the time. Now? She'd save Armin no matter what. But... That wouldn't be possible if she aligned herself with the Titans.

Titans, or humanity?

Rather, Titans, or Armin?

It shouldn't have been a hard choice. Her whole life, she'd been trained against humanity. Now, for a bit of love, she was dismissing that?

Her father would be so disappointed.

"I'm sure." Reiner looked away. "...you know, I wish things didn't end up like this."

"...Me too."

"No, you don't understand." Reiner sighed. "Christa.."

"Christa?" Annie questioned.

"I love Christa... But I think she loves Ymir. It doesn't matter anyway, it's not like we could ever be together. Not like this." Reiner told her. She pondered this for a moment.

"...and you called me a rejected lover." Annie replied coldly. "You're right, anyway. Even if we wanted to, we could never get away from here. We have our own reasons."

Reiner sighed, and then nodded. "Yeah. I need to kill the titan that ate my friend."

"I needed to see my father." Annie said quietly. "Though I doubt he'll be grateful to see me."

"Why do you say that?" Reiner questioned.

"You know my father. Answer that for yourself."

"That's true. That's very true."

"...I'm... I'm just hoping.. That maybe.. He'll  change." Annie closed her eyes. "That maybe.. He'll care."

"You and I both have hopes." Reiner stated. "Hopes that will never come true."

"Way to be blunt.." Annie sighed.

"Shouldn't you know all about being blunt?" Reiner responded.

"...where's Bertolt?" Annie asked out of the blue. Reiner smirked.

"Why? Worried?"

"As if." Annie scoffed. "Shouldn't he be here by now? It's not as if he will be slowed down by a couple of Scouts."

"...I'm going to assume that he's in his human form now." Reiner answered. "You should probably make sure Eren is still here."

By watching Eren, they were standing outside of his prison door. Reiner didn't want Eren to know he was actually alive, and more importantly...

A Titan.

"Reiner, you're not a soldier." Annie reminded him.

"...I don't know what I am anymore." Reiner looked away. "I feel like two different people.."

"Reiner.."

"Just go check on him." Reiner sighed. "I'll keep watch here."

"Alright. Let me know if Bertolt shows up." Annie said. He nodded.

I don't know who I am, either. I guess we're more similar than I thought...

Annie braced herself, and took a deep breath. She opened Eren's locked door, and closed it behind her.

He was angry. Infuriated.

"It's you."

Hey everyone, thanks for reading. Sorry I haven't updated in so long. I've been busy finishing "Fight." It's now done, and is only 4 chapters. Go me!

Anyway, see you all in the next chapter!