Chapter 29: Shock

C h a p t e r 2 9 : A D i s t i n c t B a t t l e

Bertolt was quick to join the charge against the Titans once Reiner had changed sides.

Armin had been in shock after ordering the soldiers not to attack the Titan shifters. Erwin had understandably been quite confused, and determined to ignore Armin, until he saw with his own eyes that the shifters were against the Titans.

Armin himself watched in amazement as the five Titan shifters, Kaira, Mikasa, and the remainder of Levi's Squad completely turned the tide against the wave of mindless Titans, killing them easily and mercilessly. The Armored Titan was a massive tank, full of speedy strength as he charged through multiple Titans, while the Colossal Titan was much slower, but no one could even think about harming him. Kaira was swinging around, killing the ones knocked down by the Colossal Titan, while Levi cut through Titan after Titan without stopping. Eren rampaged through the smaller Titans that Mikasa had weakened for him. Meanwhile, the Rain Titan was speedily and recklessly killing those who stood in her way...and then there was the Female Titan, who stood by the wall, defending with her tactics as she used her opponent's weight against them.

Armin never would have thought that they'd have all the Titan shifters on their side.

"This is all because of you, Armin," Sasha said softly. She was being tasked with firing the cannons from up here. "You made this possible...Its because of you that Humanity will live to see another day."

"No," Armin smiled slightly before getting ready to jump back towards the Titans. "It's because of Annie."

He swooped back downward towards the wall, where Titans were beginning to thin out. There were still a lot, but they could barely stand against the weight of Humanity here.

Together with Krista, he slayed a Titan that was dead set on the wall. He had gone for it's legs while Krista had gone for it's nape as soon as it was enfeebled.

"Good work!" Armin shouted, but he could see that Krista was beginning to tire. It made sense; she had been down here much longer. He didn't want to see her fall in a battle they'd win anyway, regardless of her effort. "Fall back. Help them man the cannons."

"But Armin, what about you?" Krista questioned, a concerned look in her blue eyes. She was as selfless and kind as always, not wanting to put herself before others. "I can't just leave you here!"

"Don't worry! I'm going to head near Annie," Armin told her before swinging toward the gate of the wall. "Switch out with Sasha! I can hold out until then!"

Armin couldn't hear her response since he was too far away, but he hoped she would follow orders. Living was far more important right now. He didn't mean to sound cocky, but there was no way they could lose here. One soldier would not change much in that regard.

He propelled himself toward a small Titan, swooping by it's nape and cutting as deep as he could. It wasn't enough to sever it completely, so Armin swung under the Titan's grasp and then propelled himself back to the neck, landing upon it and tearing it open with his two swords. After about three strikes, the Titan had been slain, and it fell to the ground. Armin swung back to the wall before it could take it with him.

The wall could not be broken since the Colossal Titan was on their side. The goal here was to kill any Titan near the wall, but the Titans were endless. A more reasonable goal was to fight until they couldn't any longer.

Armin swooped toward another Titan that had been trying to zone in on the wall, and Armin cut open a wound on it's arm. Much to his surprise, the Titan was an abnormal, and it grabbed the wire of the Omni-directional gear, pulling Armin out of the sky. It held Armin above it's mouth, and Armin struggled to no end to try and get himself out of it's grasp.

This was not a fight worth dying for...Armin should have listened to his own words. At the very least, he helped Krista...and he had helped humanity. He thought of Annie, and hoped that she wouldn't be destroyed by his death...

Suddenly, a large force barreled into the Titan, and Armin was released from it's grasp as the Titan fell to the ground. It was Annie who had saved him, nonetheless. She raised her foot, stomping the Titan into the ground before reaching down and tearing the nape open. Armin watched in amazement. When she was done, she placed her hand down. Armin climbed into it, and she placed him on the opposite shoulder. They stood together against the wall, and Armin nodded.

"Thank you, Annie."