Chapter 22: Decision

C h a p t e r  2 2 : D e c i s i o n

What the hell am I supposed to do?

As Annie continued to ponder her decisions, someone snuck behind her.

I know what Armin fights for is right. To let humanity live. But to do that would mean abandoning my family. The people who raised me. I know Reiner feels this way too, but he's gone and considered dead. What am I supposed to do..? If he were here, I would try to defect, but he's not... I don't want to defect without my family. I can't fight them..

"You know, it's going to be okay," Armin coaxed, wrapping his arms around her. "I know what you're thinking... betrayal is hard."

You have no idea.

"But I hope you know I'll be here for you, even if no one else is. I know Eren and Mikasa are pretty hostile towards you... but you have to understand that they're just hurt from the first time you betrayed us. I'll be here for you, though.. if you choose to stay."

And that's where the problem was.

Both of the people on each side were only willing to stay with her if she chose their side.

Armin (and everyone else that she didn't care to name) would fight against her if she chose her family and childhood friends.

Reiner, Bertolt, her father, Kaira, and Saiko wouldn't support her if she chose to help humanity.

What did she do?

"Is it really that hard for you?" Armin questioned. "You know what we're fighting for is right. We're trying to save countless people... how can you even justify the other side?"

Because they're good people.

"...because the other side has my family on it," Annie responded quietly. "You wouldn't know how it feels to never trust anyone. When I came here I couldn't trust people since I knew they'd end up in a Titan's mouth. When I went home, I couldn't tell anyone what I really thought or else I'd be in deep trouble. You... you would never understand how it is to be in the middle. Only R.."

Annie stopped talking. She wasn't going to give away Reiner or Bertolt. No matter what side she chose, she would never do that.

She couldn't.

"Who?" Armin waited for Annie to go on. "Who would?"

"No one important," Annie replied stiffly. "Someone... from the village."

"What happened to them?"

"Died during an expedition," Annie lied. "...I don't want to talk about it anymore."

"Okay, well, then why don't you tell me about the world from a Titan Shifter's point of view?" Armin suggested.

"You really want to know about that?"

"Why not?"

As the two chatted, Annie realized one thing.

She'd already made her decision by sealing up the wall.

That was it, then- she was with humanity.

She couldn't let anything sway her anymore. She was with humanity, and Reiner, Bertolt and her father couldn't change that.

But she wouldn't reveal them, because she couldn't. She'd die before she did that.

No one would understand how difficult this path would be for her..

<><><>

"Reiner," Bertolt questioned. "Do you miss it back there?"

"Miss it?" Reiner stared at the ground. "How could I miss it there? They're fighting for something... something wrong."

"But... the people there. Armin, Eren, Christa-"

"Shut up," Reiner grumbled. "I like the people there. But it would never work out. This would never work out. We're on opposite sides. I'm a titan shifter. I'm the Armored Titan."

"You're not a soldier?"

"I'm not a soldier."

Reiner repeated the phrase in his head.

No matter how many times he said it, he still wanted to save lives. To help people. To get Annie.

He couldn't.

"Let's just go, Bertolt."

"Reiner-"

"Come on."

<><><>

Levi was sitting quietly in his room. He felt guilty. Guilty that his crew died every time, and for what? He knew that they knew what they were signing up for, but..

A knock on the door resounded, and Levi wondered who in the hell had the nerve to bother him.

"It's Scarlet."

"Come in."

Scarlet opened the door, closing it behind her and sitting on the bed. It was silent for a moment before she finally began to talk.

"It's not your fault."

"Of course it's not," Levi said, as he stared at the ground. "Nothings my fault. It's those damn titans who take everything."

"Levi..."

"You know how it feels," Levi's eyes were blank. "To have everyone stripped away because of these damn titans."

"No kidding," Scarlet scoffed. "Owen... we will get revenge."

"We will," Levi nodded. "Whether it's with Annie, or against her."

Hey everyone, no idea who still reads this book, but thanks and love ya'll

Thanks for reading!