Chapter 19: Hallucinating

C h a p t e r 1 9 : H a l l u c i n a t i n g

"Wh-what-?" Scarlet's breath caught in her throat. "You..you can't be..."

"....you really haven't changed," the girl mused. "...you only believe what you want to see. You saw him die. You really think he's right here?"

"I saw you die, so yes." Scarlet snarled back.

"You're quite wrong, Scarlet," the girl whispered. "Owen is dead... And he's never coming back."

"That's enough," Levi intervened. "If you refuse to move, I will cut you down."

"...so be it. Come at me." The girl curtsied mockingly.

With all six of them charging towards the girl, it seemed the girl was doomed from the start. But she proved them wrong as her blades moved to block all of them. She dodged and blocked all of their attempts and then pulled a dagger from the inside of her jacket. She threw it precisely as she dodged an attack from Theodore. The dagger found its mark quickly as it dug into Theodore's foot. Theodore fell to the ground gasping in pain.

In less than a minute, all but Levi were subdued. Levi was deft with his movements, able to keep up with the girl due to his past in crime.

"Impressive," the girl said. "Then again, why am I surprised? It is captain Levi, after all."

Levi continued to attack the girl, and she now went on the defensive. But before the fight could progress any longer, the girl backed off.

"...I've been called. See you soon," the girl said wryly, and maneuvered away quickly. Levi longed to chase after her, but he had a whole team unconscious- and priorities were priorities.

"You've got to be kidding me..." Levi muttered as he looked at his team. The only one who was actually injured was Theodore with the dagger in his foot. From what it looked like, it hasn't hit anything essential- but it wasn't like Theodore would be doing anything anytime soon. Theodore would just serve as a crutch from now on- an extra variable they had to worry about since he was injured. Levi grit his teeth and ripped part of Theodore's cape, and took the dagger out. Theodore groaned in pain as Levi wrapped the material tightly around his foot, stopping the bleeding. Levi hoped that it was merely a small injury that could be treated- he'd already lost too many of his squad, too many times.

"Levi... Don't give up."

Levi whirled around at the sound of her voice. His eyes searched the trees wildly as he frantically looked for her.

"I believe in you, Levi. You can save Annie and Eren."

There she was.

Her sunset colored hair was neat and her eyes stared at him warmly. She was no longer covered in blood- her scout uniform was crisp and clean. A smile occupied her face, and Levi stared at her in shock.

"Petra?"

"Don't abandon your team, Levi... They need you," Petra told him. "Don't make the same mistake.."

Levi grit his teeth.

"I'm sorry I couldn't save you," Levi whispered. "I'm so sorry..."

"Don't worry about that... What's done is done."

"...It was my fault you all died..." Levi clenched his fists. "I couldn't save you.."

"Levi... Don't blame yourself."

"Then who am I supposed to blame!?"

"Don't blame anyone... Just care to your team, alright? They're whats important right now.." Petra smiled at him- a smile he couldn't return.

"I... You're what's important to me," Levi whispered. "Can't you come back...?"

Levi walked towards her slowly.

"I'm sorry, Levi..."

"Why are you sorry..? You have nothing to be sorry about... I'm sorry for letting you die.." Levi reached out to touch her, to just remember her, and as his hand went to touch her cheek, his hand went through her.

"I'm so sorry..."

She slowly disappeared, and Levi watched in shock. He longed for her presence- but that was it. Dead was dead. She was gone, and she was never coming back. That was the reality, and Levi had to face it.

But that didn't mean he wanted to.

"...I have to keep moving on... No matter the cost," Levi whispered.

Owen...

Olympia...

Ouruo...

Nanaba...

Petra...

Petra...

Levi let a single tear fall down his face before wiping it away. He didn't have time to mourn. Not right now. He had to care for his team.

The only one awake to witness his breakdown was the girl with long red hair.

"It's alright, Levi..." She cooed quietly from her position in the tree above. "I'll make your pain go away once I slice you open."

Hope you all enjoyed the chapter!