Chapter 20: The Escape

C h a p t e r   2 0 : T h e  E s c a p e

"Sorry, Levi, but I'm not going to let you leave," Kaira dropped down in front of him. "Masters orders. Although I held a lot of respect for you when I was in the Scout Regiment.."

"...I don't have time for you. I have to rescue Eren and Annie," Levi grit his teeth.

"Annie? You think Annie wants to come back to you guys?" Kaira laughed. "Annie belongs with us. More importantly, me- not in a romantic way, if that's what you're thinking," she added quickly. "But I'll do anything for her. And R- never mind. I don't owe you any answers."

"No, go ahead. Who were you going to say?" Levi questioned.

"Sorry, but they come first. Before you, before all of them. Annie, Saiko, and... Him are all I rely on now."

"Such a shame that Annie's on the other side, isn't it?" Levi taunted. "...annie doesn't belong with you."

"Of course she does," Kaira shot back. "Annie belongs with all of us here. Why wouldn't she? She's wanted to see her father ever since she came back. In fact, she's guarding Eren right now. They'd be long gone if Annie was a traitor."

"No. Annie is on our team," Levi said, hoping that Armin was right. Speaking of which, where even was Armin? He hadn't been on the mission with them, but now he wished that Armin was. He was, after all, a great debater. "And you could be too- since you'd do anything for her."

"You have no proof of that," the girl responded cooly. "Besides, my significant other is still on this side. I could never leave her."

"...then that's enough negotiating."

"Very well. Let's fight!"

She laughed maniacally as he charged at her. She dodged and swung, Levi moving out of the way. Their weapons clashed as she stared at him with a crazy and bloodthirsty grin.

"Don't worry, Levi! Your death will be nice and painless. I respect you too much to torture you!"

"Sorry. The feeling isn't mutual," Levi responded with gritted teeth.

"Oh, I'm so hurt!" Kaira mocked as she threw a dagger at him, and he barely dodged it. "Whatever will I do..? I can't even think about it!"

"...why don't you just turn into a titan already? It'd make it a lot easier for me to slice you open," Levi retorted.

Kaira laughed.

"In case you haven't noticed, I'm no titan shifter. Why would I join the Scouts if I was?"

Their fight was stopped abruptly as Kaira was quickly tackled from behind. Dropping her weapons in surprise, Kaira snarled until she noticed who it was on top of her.

"A..annie?" Kaira faltered as she spotted Eren behind her. "Wait.. Annie... You.. Can't be.."

"...I'm sorry, Kaira..." Annie told the red headed girl. "But this is my choice. You could join us. We'd be able to overpower them. It would be okay."

"...but... I can't. These are the people that threw me out to die," Kaira shook her head. "Besides... Saiko is trapped there. They'd kill her if I left. And... Him, too."

"I know. That's why my choice was hard," Annie agreed. "But unlike you, my lover is on the other side. I'm staying in the Scouts for the same reason you stay here."

"...understandable," Kaira relented. "...so? what are you waiting for? Kill me, friend."

"...no," Annie shook her head. "But I am going to have to give you a few wounds and tie you up."

"...that's degrading. I'd rather die," Kaira argued.

"I could always arrange that," Levi told her. "Wouldn't be too hard."

"Kaira.. Please?" Annie asked. "...I wouldn't be able to kill you. I can't kill anymore people I care about.."

Kaira sighed deeply.

"Fine."

Within five minutes, Kaira was trussed to a tree. She was bleeding.

"If I get.. In a lot of trouble for this, it's your fault," Kaira threatened.

"I know," Annie nodded. "I'm willing to accept the consequences."

"Good..." Kaira looked down. "Be safe, Annie.."

The three looked down to see the rest of the team waking up. Quickly shaking them awake, they fled and left Kaira there.

"...I'd be careful... Not everyone is as forgiving as me.."

<><><>

"I can't believe we got away," Scarlet sighed. "It's a miracle."

"We need to hurry. Theodore is bleeding," Levi reminded, carrying Theodore while they maneuvered. "We must go faster."

"You got it, Captain," Cora said. "What about Liana, though?"

"Cora and I could go get her?" Scarlet suggested. "You keep going with Theodore?"

"Can you guys handle yourselves?"

"We'll be fine," Cora reassured.

"I figured. Good luck," Levi told them. "Not that you'll need it."

"You too. Let's kill some more Titans!"

I know, I haven't updated in awhile... Sorry. Thanks for sticking with this book- we've hit 1.5k!!

Thanks for reading!