Chapter 5: Scouting Surprise

C h a p t e r 5 : S c o u t i n g   S u p r i s e

"If Titans were smart, they'd have figured out the long distance formation by now.." Armin muttered.

"It's a good thing Titans are dumb, then."
Jean commented.

"Except for the humans who can change into Titans... The Collosal Titan, R-Armored Titan, and Annie are extremely intelligent Titans." Bertolt provided.

"Yeah... Alright, well I've got to head to my group. Bye." Armin waved as he and Eren rode off the find Levi, Hange and Annie.

"There you are. You're late." Levi complained.

"Levi, be easy on them." Scarlet said next to him said, and Owen laughed.

Scarlet and Owen was the rest of Levi's squad. They were trained to keep watch of Eren and Annie, along with Armin and Hange.
Scarlet was a girl with red hair. Part of it was tied up into a bun, with the rest of her hair flowing out. She wore a hoodie under her Survey Corps uniform.
Owen was a man with spiky, brunette hair. It was short enough so it didn't have to be tied, and he wore a button up under his Survey Corps uniform.
"Just to make this clear..." Scarlet intoned. "...I hate jokes about my hair, so don't even try."

"But if you want to annoy her, go for it." Owen smiled.

"Don't even try." She glared at Owen.

"We have more important things to worry about, you two." Levi lectured. "Let's get a move on."

The group, consisting of Levi, Annie, Eren, Armin, Scarlet, Owen, and Hange, rode on.

"Hey, That's a red flare." Scarlet commented. Multiple green flares were seen before Owen loaded his gun and shot a green flare. The group changed directions.

"So how's-"

"A variant!" Scarlet yelled. A Titan was running towards them, at high speeds. Quickly, Levi fired a black flare.

"Heichou, should we engage?" Owen asked.

"No." Levi replied. "That group over there should have gotten it- they're not moving quick enough. Owen and Scarlet, kill it."

"On it." The red headed beauty took off. She got close enough, riding her horse, before hooking herself on and moving in for the kill. As the titan fell, she landed on the ground with a satisfied grin.
"Heh." She smirked as she mounted her horse. "Owen, you weren't even off your horse when I killed her."

"Whatever... At least I can work in a team well. You just go for the kill, no matter what."

"I guess you could say I'm a little blood thirsty." The red head bit her lip.

"Enough, cut it out." Levi instructed. "Let's keep moving."

"Where are we moving?" Armin asked.

"To the forests! We're hoping to find-" Levi covered Hange's mouth.

"No time. Besides... Traitors." Levi muttered the last part.

Everyone is so much more dense than I thought they would be... Annie mused. But it's not like I could take on Levi, Scarlet, Owen... And Eren. And Armin, Hange. Even though I have my titan abilities... They have Levi.

"Yo, Titan Girl." Annie's head snapped to the offender: Scarlet. "You gonna kill that titan over there?"

"We're not to engage the enemy." Levi restated.

"I was just teasing." Scarlet protested.

"Um... That's a whole lot of... TITANS OVER THERE!" Armin yelled. There were 5 Titans, chasing a group.

"Are you kidding me!? I swear, what happens when you stray from the formation. They had one job..." Owen glared at the group. "Let's go."

"Okay." The group rode over near the Titans, where they were still chasing the other group.

"There's no way we can take on five Titans at once in a flat territory.." Armin noted. All eyes turned to Annie.

"Could you, you know, turn into a Titan!?" Hange exclaimed excitedly.

Annie narrowed her eyes.

"Please, you'll be saving their lives... I know that doesn't mean much to you, but please... It'll make you a good person." Armin pleaded.

Annie closed her eyes, before using her 3D maneuvering gear to swing near the titan, and biting her finger.

"The female titan," Hange said in awe.

"Give me a break." Scarlet muttered.
The blonde had transformed into her titan form- a looming 14 meters. Her hair fell into her face, and her icy blue eyes locked on the Titans, as they had started to near her. She began to engage the enemy, fighting in her signature style, while always targeting the neck. Soon enough, she finished defeating them, and the group rode over. This group consisted of Mikasa, Jean, Reiner, and a woman named Marlene.
"Is that Annie?" Marlene asked. Marlene had dark hair, and hazel eyes. She wore the normal collar shirt under her survey corps uniform.

"I think so." Reiner responded.

"Yes, yes it is." Levi confirmed. "What were you guys thinking, straying from the formation?"

"Well... Mikasa saw a Titan... She killed it, but then we realized Titans were following that one. The numbers kept building up as we rode, and then we came here..." Jean rubbed the back of his neck.

"Mikasa, you knew the rules." Levi narrowed his eyes at her.

"Sorry.." She mumbled. She glanced over at Eren, who was ignoring her gaze.

"Get back to the original formation." Levi instructed. "Tch. Can't people listen...Annie. she needs to change back."

"Annie!" Armin called. "Transform back!"

The Female Titan glanced over at him, before laying facedown on the ground. Soon enough, Annie emerged from the nape of the neck.

"That. Was. Awesome." Hange breathed.

"Hurry up Annie, let's get a move on." Levi called, and Scarlet's grip on her swords tightened.

"Are you sure we shouldn't kill her?" Scarlet whispered, and Levi answered with a stern "yes."
Annie mounted her horse, and the group separated from the other one. 

"Nice work, Annie." Armin smiled at her. Annie just glances at him.

"Ooh, I can't wait to study this.. Think of the possibilities..!" Hange squealed.

"Cut it out, Hange." Owen snapped, but was smiling.

"Focus, team. We're almost in the forest."

The group soon entered the forest.

"Tie your horses up- we're switching to 3D maneuvering gear."

The group heeded his instructions, before heading deeper into the forest.

"So... What is our objective..?" Eren asked.

"To find where the Titans are coming from... Or anything about them." Annie stiffened at these words.

"Oh? Annie, do you know where they're coming from?" Hange said excitedly.

"Of course she does. Why would she want to share that, though?" Levi narrowed his eyes.

"... Nanitorakin.." Annie whispered.

"what?"

"...nanitorakin... Nanitorakin Village... Father.."

"Your village!?"