Chapter 25: Bonds

C h a p t e r   2 5 :   B o n d s

"So... Can we trust her?"

The question arose as what was left of the 104th Survey Corp met to discuss Annie's allegiance. Armin immediately frowned as the others looked uneasy and uncomfortable.

"Annie is trustworthy," Armin defended the blonde girl since she was currently being questioned by Erwin. "She revealed her subordinates. We now know for certain that our old teammates, Reiner and Bertolt... are also evil. Trust me, she's not on the enemy's side anymore."

"But... How do we know for sure?" Eren appeared weary and tired. His green eyes were slightly dulled. He'd witnessed her killing Levi's squad and many others. He's seen enough. "She's gone back and forth so many times. Wavering. We never know. Why would she even fight for humanity?"

"I don't know the answer to that question," Armin confessed, which only made their suspicions grow further. "But she did. She sold out her teammates. Why else would she do that?"

"To make us believe her lies further," Mikasa replied coldly, her grey eyes analyzing the world around her. She had never liked Annie to begin with, and the revelation of Annie being a titan shifter hadn't been a surprise to the Asian beauty. But she had been the only one to jump on the idea of killing Annie right then and there. The others had been too shocked or confused. "She's a Titan Shifter. She shouldn't be trusted."

"W-with that logic, Eren shouldn't be trusted either!" Krista pointed out, her blue eyes wide. She had always been one of the more optimistic ones that everyone looked up to. Mikasa sighed as she knew the others were going to disagree with her own viewpoint. As Krista continued to speak, she could see everyone else clinging onto her every word. "We should keep a close eye on Annie, but she did sell out her old teammates! Thanks to her, we know about...about Reiner and Bertolt. Shouldn't we be showing our gratitude, not being so suspicious?"

"But you have to realize that we are at least somewhat entitled to our own suspicion," Jean said standoffishly, but he was rightfully entitled. After all, he had watched Annie, in Titan form, murder many without any regrets. How was he supposed to trust the same girl again? "She is the Female Titan. I'm not completely sure she's telling the truth, she could be a double agent."

"What would be the point of that?" Armin defended Annie, hoping to diffuse their suspicions of anything wrong. "We are already keeping a close eye on her, she's going to be monitored at all times. If she falls a step out of line, we will be on her. She shared vital information about our enemies. Do you think she would do so if she was still an enemy? Her alliance with the enemy is helpful. She knew things. She knows their secrets, and if she's ever captured, she can pretend she's working for them. This is a good thing."

"We never said that it wasn't a good thing," Connie folded his arms awkwardly. "We're just saying that... while you trust her, we're not sure if we do."

"I-I understand that. If I didn't, I'd be a fool," Armin replied, looking down. "But second chances exist, right?"

"...Are you strong enough to kill her if things go wrong, Armin?" Mikasa's grey eyes stared him down, making sure that he was prepared to comprehend the consequences. Armin nodded, with no hesitation. In reality, Armin would have had quite the problem with killing Annie and he doubted he had the guts to do it, just as Annie had refused to kill him. But that wasn't the answer the others wanted to hear. Mikasa sighed. "If Armin believes she can be trusted, than we should believe him... But I will be watching her, and if she messes up once, I will kill her. If she takes one step towards Eren, I will kill her."

"Mikasa..." Eren looked down, unsure what to feel. He knew he should've been angrier than he was. Annie had killed Levi's squad and so many other people as the Female Titan. Petra was gone which tore Levi's spirits apart, Eld was dead and the Scouts missed an incredible leader, Olou had been killed even after slaying so many titans, and Gunther's life had been ended despite his calm demeanor. All four of the Levi Squad had died a horrible death despite their accomplishments, and it was all because of Annie. Eren had indeed been furious, that day that he'd beaten Annie hadn't been fake. He was extremely horrified and angered. But he also knew what kind of person Annie was. That deep down, she had a kind heart. "Annie won't... Annie won't do anything. But if she does try, I don't want you to kill her. LET ME."

Mikasa clenched her fists, annoyed by the order since she really, really wanted to end Annie's life. But she'd always follow Eren, even to the bitter end. So she nodded, and took a deep breath.

"Okay."

"Are we all settled, then?" Armin questioned, and everyone sighed and nodded. "Good. I'm...I'm glad."

While everyone would need time to warm up to their ex-cadet, time would show the strength of their bonds.

Or perhaps, the weaknesses instead.

hey everyone! i'm so sorry for the long waits... i'm really trying though. writers block is a jerk especially when i haven't watched/read AOT in awhile. but playing the AOT game reminded me of how much i love this ship.

thanks for reading!